Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #8

Page 21 of 75 (1114 items) « First ... < Previous 19 20 21 22 23 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,113 Replies | 38 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 473
Points 7,440
Joyce replied on Tue, Jun 11 2013 5:42 PM | Locked

Bonita this is a beautiful.   You do such nice work.

Joyce

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,274
Points 26,970
Marsha-SM replied on Tue, Jun 11 2013 5:43 PM | Locked

Agnes, Love the floral mug rugs.  I should make a dozen or so of them, maybe using the scraps from the following quilts for use in our house!

Judy, good luck quilting that biggee!!

Here is a in-progress picture of the quilts I am making for the future college dorm mates.  I need to border the panel and add border to the quilt, but here it is in 5 panels laid in our messy living room.  I had to shove everything out of the way to get it laid out.  Finished size will be about 72 x 102

My camera doesn't usually take such poor pictures, but I think it needs new batteries.  I am pondering whether to add narrow black borders to the borders for the panel - the border fabric is a tree bark with bits of green moss.  The inner border would be maybe 1/2" black, 2 1/2" bark, 1/2" black, or whatever measurements would be needed to fill the space.  I haven't measured the space yet, but it appears to be fairly even all around.  Any suggestions would be welcome. 

The only problem I had with this is with the bottom right 3 blocks (up and down).  At first, I got the rust bark on the wrong side of the bottom block - that phesant wanted to dive into the ground!!  instead of flying up.  Then, when sewing the strip of 3 blocks to the next 3, I stitched the wrong side - that would have changed the position of the strips.  I tried to get a balance of colors and types of animals, but scrambling them wouldn't have mattered, except I would have known that I had goofed!!  Hope to get other quilt to this point tomorrow and maybe get at least inner borders on and find a place outside where I can hang it and get a better picture.  Tomorrow is supposed to be our only sunny day.  I am getting tired of gloomy, misty, rainy days.

Judy, these quilts (2 of them) will be big enough for this ancient body to struggle with.  Why did I decide to make these long quilts for all the grandchildren?  Somehow I think I will be making more than the 6 planned (already 7).  One of these is for a grandnephew and there are 7 more grandnephews and grandnieces that will probably want one since this GN is getting one.  The only one that is already in college is his older sister.

Marsha - Western New York

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 754
Points 11,295
weezee56 replied on Tue, Jun 11 2013 7:05 PM | Locked

Agnes very pretty flower mug.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 754
Points 11,295
weezee56 replied on Tue, Jun 11 2013 7:08 PM | Locked

Marsha-SM:
Here is a in-progress picture of the quilts I am making for the future college dorm mates. 
Your quilt is going to  be great when you get it done.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 102
Points 1,730
winurse replied on Tue, Jun 11 2013 7:15 PM | Locked

Agnes,  those are beautiful.   Love the bright colors.    The binding would make me crazy.   Any helpful hints?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Tue, Jun 11 2013 9:10 PM | Locked

Michelle:
Debbie-do is trying to get me to buy material to just increase my stash!!  So funny, it sits for a few months, then gets cut to be made into something.

That must be the sign of a real quilter!  LOL  I really should be embarrassed that my stash has grown so much since I've retired.  Obviously, I'm not sewing enough!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Tue, Jun 11 2013 9:12 PM | Locked

Karla:
I fold mine up and stack them in the see-through plastic shoe boxes you can get at WalMart pretty cheap.  I just sort them by light, medium and darks.

That's a good tip.  Thanks, Karla.  I remember some people saying they store fat quarters in those boxes, too.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Tue, Jun 11 2013 9:14 PM | Locked

swedeami:
There is a wonderful source for books called betterworldbooks.com that I have bought lots of quilting books from.   Great service and prices.  Give 'em a try!

Well, I just tried that site, but there's an error message saying the server is not responding.  I thought QCA was the only commercial company with a bad server.  LOL

- - - - -

Edit:  Tried again and got on.  Interesting concept for a book seller.  I'm questioning if it is "for profit," just how much actually goes to their causes.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,379
Points 24,090
Roxana replied on Tue, Jun 11 2013 9:28 PM | Locked

MNnancy:

MNnancy:
I have SO many 2 1/2 strips that I am going to have to invest in a book of scrappy jelly roll patterns.

Next question...

How does one store hundreds of 2 1/2 strips?  Should I try to roll them up in color families like the ones we purchase?  An alternative thought is that I could host a group for  "strip poker" as we played it in Branson, and then I could just send all my strips to other quilters' homes.

MNancy, I hav closet space so I hang mine by color on those multiple slack racks. Then I put them into String quilts for charity. It's a great use of the 2-1/2" strips.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Tue, Jun 11 2013 9:34 PM | Locked

Roxana:
I hang mine by color on those multiple slack racks

Interesting...  and they don't slip off and end up on the floor?

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,384
Points 119,256
Patti replied on Tue, Jun 11 2013 10:06 PM | Locked

Agnes, the mug rugs are so pretty.  I love floral fabrics.

Marsha, the quilt will be very nice.  I like what you are doing with it.  You certainly work fast.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,384
Points 119,256
Patti replied on Tue, Jun 11 2013 10:10 PM | Locked

I have decided that I have gotten far enough on my sand hill crane quilt/wall hanging to show it.  The crane just needs some eyes and legs now.  Then I will add some kind of border and call it done. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 155
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,220
Points 41,005
Donna B replied on Tue, Jun 11 2013 10:13 PM | Locked

Patti, your crane looks fantastic!  And that yellow/green really pops for the camera.

Winthrop, WA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 754
Points 11,295
weezee56 replied on Tue, Jun 11 2013 11:09 PM | Locked

Patti, I think your crane looks great.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,425
Points 72,085
Karla replied on Tue, Jun 11 2013 11:16 PM | Locked

Patti, the crane is an absolute work of art!

Page 21 of 75 (1114 items) « First ... < Previous 19 20 21 22 23 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use