Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Wed, May 22 2013 9:41 PM | Locked

Well Marsha, even if the stripes didn't perfectly line up, I think you did a marvelous job on your mitered corners.  I have yet to try mitering a border.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,583
Points 75,695
Karla replied on Wed, May 22 2013 10:03 PM | Locked

I mitered a border a couple of times, on baby quilts, it didn't look difficult when I watched the videos, but on one quilt everything came out perfect (it had a fairly narrow border) but on the other with a wide border, it came out kind of crooked.  I need to practice it a few more times before I try it on one of the quilts that I want to be near perfect (I'll never get one perfect).

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,022
Points 15,590
weezee56 replied on Wed, May 22 2013 11:14 PM | Locked

Marsha, your quilt looks great. Corners are hard to get exactly right. We would not have noticed if you hadn't told us.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,326
Points 27,965
Marsha-SM replied on Thu, May 23 2013 7:11 AM | Locked

Karla:

I mitered a border a couple of times, on baby quilts, it didn't look difficult when I watched the videos, but on one quilt everything came out perfect (it had a fairly narrow border) but on the other with a wide border, it came out kind of crooked.  I need to practice it a few more times before I try it on one of the quilts that I want to be near perfect (I'll never get one perfect).

Karla, mitered borders are quite easy once you get the tricks figured out.  I stitch all borders to within 1/4 inch of the corners - the hardest part to get seam ends at stitch or so from the same place on corners.  Then it is easy if you don't have to match stripes or patterns.  I usually leave "tails" plenty long enough to make the miters and cut the excess after stitching the miter.  I line up the edges of the borders and crease the corner of the quilt on the diagonal to find where to extend the angle to the border, line up seam lines, pin so it doesn't shift, then draw a pencil line on the border fabric extending the angle, then stitch on the pencil line.  A 45 degree angle ruler helps to be sure the angle is right, but I have used a regular ruler.  The angled ruler laid on the seam line assures you are doing a precise angle.   Prints that you don't need to match are much easier than directional prints or stripes.

The hardest is lining up stripes.  Usually you can get diagonally opposite corners right if you do those 2 corners first, but lining up precisely on the other 2 corners is by chance.  It all depends on width of repeat on stripes and measurements of sides.  Somehow, my 3 corners lined up perfectly at the same point of the stripe - - a happy accident.  The other corner was off because I didn't measure borders before starting so was 1/4 inch off on one side.  That does matter with stripes, but not with prints or solids.  You can spend a lot of time measuring and centering one end, matching position of side stripes to match on that end, hope the other ends are the same (or engineer by easing or stretching small amounts so they are the same) then center other end matching stripes again (one end first, then ease or stretch to match other), but it is often still a happy accident and a lot of precise fussing to get all 4 corners right.  I should have looked at the corner before taking a picture.  The wind was causing me fits, so I just took the one that was blowing the least, then snapped.    I need to take pictures of the other 3 corners to show how that one should have looked!!!  Miters are fun after you get comfortable with the tricks.  I do them all the time.  I am doing the attic windows blocks the same way on the graduation quilts I am now doing. 

Hope this helps instead of confusing you more!!!  Have fun!  I need to hop in the truck now for another bouncy, whiplash, piledriving day in the truck.  Have fun quilting while I bounce!!!  Won't even be able to work on hand quilting today, but will take it any way in case he gets to gabbing with the farmers!!  I do most of my handwork then while the truck is still!

Marsha - Western New York

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 341
Points 6,735
tnmtgrl replied on Thu, May 23 2013 7:26 AM | Locked

Julienne:

Marie:

Julienne, love your DD's quilt, she must be very happy with it.  Are you an empty nester now?

Thank you, she does love it. She grew up playing the  Alto Saxophone, so it was perfect.  I am a true empty nester now unless you count my two dogs who think they are human. They sure act like it sometimes LOL.   Is it bad that I already have plans for her room?????

No it's not bad that you have plans for her room...the day our youngest moved out we redid his bedroom into an office!!

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 102
Points 1,520
stitcheraz replied on Thu, May 23 2013 8:51 AM | Locked

Jinny Beyer has a video on her website that explains how to make those miters match with border prints, etc in all four corners, regardless of the repeat.  It works really well.

stitcheraz

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 624
Points 9,310
MaggieNae replied on Thu, May 23 2013 9:14 AM | Locked

Marsha, check your local quilt shops for one that has a long arm machine.  They will usually teach you how to use it, then rent it by the hour.  May be much less expensive than having your Amish friend do it for you.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,344
Points 414,814
gini replied on Thu, May 23 2013 11:01 AM | Locked

Marsha, I do my mitres similar to yours, but I don't bother with the pencil.   I sew up to the quarter inch, then lay it on the ironing table, adjust the angle by folding over the borders, iron  a crease in the folded borders, match the creases right sides together, , pin and sew on the crease.

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,326
Points 27,965
Marsha-SM replied on Thu, May 23 2013 5:15 PM | Locked

stitcheraz:

Jinny Beyer has a video on her website that explains how to make those miters match with border prints, etc in all four corners, regardless of the repeat.  It works really well.

stitcheraz

Thanks, I need to check that out.   I forget to check her site for tips.  She uses a lot of border fabrics in her quilts and they do always match.  I should have thought of her.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,326
Points 27,965
Marsha-SM replied on Thu, May 23 2013 5:24 PM | Locked

Thankyou everyone for your comments on my MQ 8.  This was a fun quilt to make even though I had to challenge myself with making it twice the intended size!!  I plan to make another the same size and have already purchased my dark and light (of course on sale!!) and still need a border fabric for it. 

Susan, the pattern for this quilt is in groups - Mystery Quilt #8 - City Streets - designed by our Nana.  She has done a wonderful job in challenging us to do a quilt with tiny pieces.  Her shortcuts make those small pieces so easy to put together.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,659
Points 37,415
ls2116 replied on Thu, May 23 2013 6:57 PM | Locked

Here is a square from quilt i'm working on.  Need some advice I have feeddogs down on my 6600 fmq foot on wearing quilting gloves.  Do you think i'm not moving fabric quick enough?  It is harder to move it when i'm pulling the fabric like sewing in reverse going up the circle.  Any advice appreciated.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,342
Points 46,405
Angele replied on Thu, May 23 2013 7:02 PM | Locked

Marsha, I really like your MQ8.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,342
Points 46,405
Angele replied on Thu, May 23 2013 7:06 PM | Locked

Julienne your quilt for your DD looks great. I love the music notes.

Angèle  from NWO

Page 2 of 75 (1114 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use