Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #8

Page 76 of 95 (1418 items) « First ... < Previous 74 75 76 77 78 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,417 Replies | 33 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 11:07 PM | Locked

Jacy:

Fun picture, Jacy.  So I'm guessing CC's kids are the young lady in white holding Sprout, and the two boys wearing gray and yellow under the wings of your oldest son.  How did I do?  Is the little girl in pink your daughter who we saw sewing in the earlier picture?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 62,790
Jacy replied on Wed, Jul 10 2013 12:01 AM | Locked

MNnancy:
 How did I do?  Is the little girl in pink your daughter who we saw sewing in the earlier picture?

Yep, that was very a good deduction.

And yes the one in pink is my little sewing daughter. She is so darned cute we are going to be in trouble when she's a little older. 

And Sukochi, that crazy Jenny dog was on her best behavior while we were there (She's a beautiful dog). And by the time we took that photo we were about to leave, I'm sure she was tired out by then from all the excitement of so many kids and their activities. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 62,790
Jacy replied on Wed, Jul 10 2013 12:45 AM | Locked

I forgot to mention Nancy, Your DH makes beautiful furniture. 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,333
Points 20,025
Carolyn (CarolBeau) replied on Wed, Jul 10 2013 7:56 AM | Locked

Pamela:

Carolyn (CarolBeau):
Also, I'm not sure what you were going for, but I personally tend to avoid RIT like the plague.

Carolyn,

I am always open to tips for improving my processes. I am aware of the Dharma website and have wanted to purchase supplies from them. But, I really wanted to try the process of dyeing before investing in anything more expensive. Thus, I used the Rit liquid dyes. I have not heard good things about them, but felt that I could begin learning with them. My less than acceptable results were related to not using adequate dye for the quantity of fabric. My colors came out much lighter than I wanted. I was looking for the mottled coloring. I dyed a second set of two of the fabrics and the results were much better. Here is a comparison of the first and second dyeings using the appropriate amount of dye for the quantity of fabric.

These used a low water immersion technique and the same color formula. My second dyeing on the right came out much better.

Have you done Shibori dyeing techniques before?

Ok, glad to hear that's what you were going for. I wasn't sure based on your comment about the colors.  I like them a lot.  I love your second results - great colors.  I completely understand about using RIT while you're getting comfortable with the process.  FWIW, depending on what method you're using and which color dye, the fiber reactive dyes can create quite a bit of dye without a ton of powder.  I still make the mistake of buying way more powder than I need and spending more than I really need to on dye.  :)  But then you also need urea and soda ash, which is added cost.  I personally have a pool, so I have to buy soda ash in huge quantities for my pool anyway.  So, for me, the quantity of soda ash that I use for prepping for dyeing is practically free - I just take it out of the pool stash... I am lucky in that respect.  :)  In my experience, the things I've died with RIT have faded over time with many washes and sometimes bled in the wash - even after many washes.  The fading is real sad if it's something you've fallen in love with!  The fiber reactives won't bleed at all after you've gotten the dye out.  

Yes!!  I LOVE shibori.  Lately, I've been using those flour sack towels in my kitchen.  They are large, white cotton and very cheap.  I use them as kitchen towels and for straining broth.  Once they get stained (or when I feel like dying), I dye them which hides the stains and they become brand new, much more beautiful kitchen towels.  :)  If you're interested, you can get them in 5 packs for about $5 at Wal-Mart, Target, or similar stores.  They're very large, thin, 100% woven cotton.  Here's my favorite one from a quick/dirty tie-dye party we did a couple weeks ago...  Not serious dyeing at all, but the same techniques - just lazier with more alcohol involved.  :)  This one was scrunched and then a lot of yellow applied all over.  Then colors splattered all over.  Then, sections were bound and blue was applied to the bound sections.  The blue was applied while the yellow was still wet to blend and create the teal/green you see in those sections.  Just try to find the stains on that towel!  :)

I was at JoAnn recently and they had Kona solids for sale.  I think the Kona solids are great quality cotton.  They sell them at my LQS and at Dharma for dyeing.  I'm planning to go back with a 40% off coupon and get lots of white Kona solid.  I have dyed that fabric before with great results that I've used in tote bags and sewing projects.  

I hope you'll continue to share pics!  

Raleigh, NC

• | Post Points: 0
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,333
Points 20,025
Carolyn (CarolBeau) replied on Wed, Jul 10 2013 8:13 AM | Locked

Sukochi:

Carolyn, what is bad about Rit dye? I would love to try dyeing fabric. Have read about all these really expensive dyes. But, if you did, like, ice dyeing on PFD fabric, wouldn't Rit work? I am so confused about dyeing fabric that I am afraid to even buy any dye.

Sukochi, in my experience, RIT will fade and bleed gradually forever, even on PFD fabric.  Fiber reactive dyes won't do that.  Just a side note that when you buy fabric that's advertised as PFD (=prepared for dyeing for others who might be curious), I think all that really means is that they've washed it to remove sizing and any other fabric coatings that will prevent the dye from taking - or sometimes it can mean that no sizing or fabric coatings were ever applied.  There are additional things you can do yourself at home to make the dyes take better.  You may know all this already, so apologies if I'm repeating the obvious.  But even if you buy PFD fabric, it doesn't hurt to wash again.  If you like, there are special detergents that you can use to produce a result with less junk on the fabric.  Idk that that's really necessary if you're using good dye, but it's out there. Also, for the fiber reactive dyes, pre-soaking in soda ash solution will make a big difference.  That's something you have to do yourself.  I don't think it can be done ahead of time on PFD fabric.  And I mentioned this to Pamela, but again, you can often get away with very small quantities of fiber reactive dye powder - depends which colors and which methods you're using.  

Don't be afraid!  It's so much fun!  Just be careful about what you're wearing, where you are working, rinsing, washing, etc.  And if you use RIT, just be careful with those items forever since they might bleed.  Other than that, just go for it.  Try not to have specific ideas about what you want, but I find that as long as I like the colors, and take the color wheel into account (don't mix red with green, etc), I usually like the results - even if they weren't what I was expecting.  :)

Ice dyeing can produce cool results, but it's really just about the pattern and the way the results *look* - it won't affect how the dye takes with the fabric or that sort of thing - except in certain rare cases.  There are some dyes that require hot water..  Obviously, you wouldn't do ice dyeing with those dyes, but that's the only case I can think of where ice dyeing would affect the way the dye reacts with the fiber.  :)

I hope you'll post pics if you decide to try it!

Raleigh, NC

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,333
Points 20,025
Carolyn (CarolBeau) replied on Wed, Jul 10 2013 8:25 AM | Locked

Pamela:

Sukochi:
Carolyn, what is bad about Rit dye?

Carolyn - what kind of dye do you use? Procion powder dyes? I understand that they are more vibrant and the dyes holds better. But, I know that you have to be more careful about using the powder, so that you don't breathe it in - harmful to the lungs.

Yes, procion powder.  It's a whole new world if you've only used RIT so far and can be quite addictive.  :)  If there is a shop nearby you that sells them, I'd recommend that above buying online (so you can see the true colors), but I buy online regularly for the colors that I know.  

In my experience, the breathing thing is not an issue.  Idk how to describe this, but it's kind of a heavy powder.  Doesn't take to the air readily.  We mix dye to liquid form in a pyrex container in the kitchen sink.  If it was airborne, it would be a big problem, since it would be getting all over the place, but in  years of dyeing with procion powders, I've personally never seen that happen.  

Then, of course, there are all those fun methods where you apply dye powder directly - salt shaker stuff, ice, etc... Have done lots of those methods with procion powders without that kind of problem.  Again, in my experience, the dye powder is kind of heavy (that's the best way I can describe it) and doesn't become airborne.  If that were happening, honestly, I think the bigger problem would be the dye getting all over everything!  Maybe this is a bigger concern if you're in a windy area, but I personally just have never seen it happen.  

Hope this helps.  Let me know if you have any other questions.  

Raleigh, NC

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Wed, Jul 10 2013 8:50 AM | Locked

One should always take recommended precautions.  From an earlier comment on the dyeing fabric thread:

"One safety measure that was not stressed at our class was the need to avoid inhaling the dust from the powdered dye.  With some types of dyes, they don't seem to have much effect, but allergic reactions can develop over time.  Much like allergic reactions to latex.  It might not bother a person for a long time, by when that allergy develops it can be so bad, dying fabric is no longer possible as a hobby, ever.  Specially with the fiber reactive dyes. "

There may not appear to be any dust, but what you can't see can hurt you.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,333
Points 20,025
Carolyn (CarolBeau) replied on Wed, Jul 10 2013 10:55 AM | Locked

Sure, just, from everything I've read, the allergic reactions to procion powder dyes are very rare.  As with any allergy, there are varying degrees of severity and severe allergic reactions are completely awful.  Anaphylactic reactions can kill you.  It's just extremely rare.  

In my experience with the procion dyes, when a teeny tiny bit of powder hits wet, white fabric (that's lying around all over the place if you're me and you're dying), it expands to a billion times the original size of the particle... So the fact that I still don't see any of that at all is reassuring to me personally.  

Also, I can only offer my own experiences and I certainly wouldn't tell anyone not to take precautions that they think are warranted.  I just personally don't worry about that sort of thing, since the problems that occur from it are so rare..

Also, just FYI, if you are dyeing and you are concerned about this, please know that the issues related to allergic reaction and sensitivity from inhaling the powder are true for eye and skin contact as well.  There is a material safety data sheet that contains nearly identical warnings for skin contact and eye contact. Here's a link if you're interested:  http://www.dharmatrading.com/images/public/pdf/msds/msds_PR_Dharma-Fiber-Reactive-Procion-Dyes-090716144603.pdf

I personally don't worry about this.  If i were working in a factory that made the stuff, I probably would.  But as someone dyeing a few times a year, my exposure is extremely limited.  

Raleigh, NC

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Wed, Jul 10 2013 11:15 AM | Locked

I'm getting the dreaded:   Sorry, there was a problem with your last request!

message again this morning.  If I wasn't careful and looking, I would be making double postings every time.

Anyone else seeing this?  What a pain...  But, on the good side, at least the system is up!

Winthrop, WA

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 343
Points 6,775
tnmtgrl replied on Wed, Jul 10 2013 12:39 PM | Locked

Finished the quilting on my DWR...just have the corners left....

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,360
Points 414,984
gini replied on Wed, Jul 10 2013 12:51 PM | Locked

That's one beautiful group of kids

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,825
Nana replied on Wed, Jul 10 2013 2:10 PM | Locked

Beautiful Jen.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 487
Points 9,205
Darlene replied on Wed, Jul 10 2013 2:29 PM | Locked

I am now sure I have lost my mind.Last night I had a dream about being at a quilt retreat.During the retreat I was doing dishes with Nana,as we let the water out the drain sucked the dish cloth down the drain loudly.I was so surprised and turned toNana (any who have been anywhere with Nana know what I am talking about)who got this look that she has .(looking over her glasses and her mouth makes the O shape and then bursts out laughing) I was laughing so hard my DH woke me up.I was still laughing as I woke up but just couldn't tell him what it was about .He would send me to the farm somewhere.Do you think I am suffering from withdrawl?

Darlene(2manyhorses)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,040
Points 15,905
weezee56 replied on Wed, Jul 10 2013 3:01 PM | Locked

Jen, Love your DWR.

Darlene, Sounds like a great dream to me.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 265
Points 4,945
Lesley replied on Wed, Jul 10 2013 3:12 PM | Locked

Jacy what a great picture it's so friendly and natural

Page 76 of 95 (1418 items) « First ... < Previous 74 75 76 77 78 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use