Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #8

Page 75 of 95 (1418 items) « First ... < Previous 73 74 75 76 77 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,417 Replies | 33 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 425
Points 9,220
Pamela replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 3:26 PM | Locked

Carolyn (CarolBeau):
Also, I'm not sure what you were going for, but I personally tend to avoid RIT like the plague.

Carolyn,

I am always open to tips for improving my processes. I am aware of the Dharma website and have wanted to purchase supplies from them. But, I really wanted to try the process of dyeing before investing in anything more expensive. Thus, I used the Rit liquid dyes. I have not heard good things about them, but felt that I could begin learning with them. My less than acceptable results were related to not using adequate dye for the quantity of fabric. My colors came out much lighter than I wanted. I was looking for the mottled coloring. I dyed a second set of two of the fabrics and the results were much better. Here is a comparison of the first and second dyeings using the appropriate amount of dye for the quantity of fabric.

These used a low water immersion technique and the same color formula. My second dyeing on the right came out much better.

Have you done Shibori dyeing techniques before?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,480
Jacy replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 3:31 PM | Locked

I've been gone for a few days, off on a road trip with the family to Montana. When we were traveling home I asked the kids what were their favorite parts of the trip. At the top of everyones lists was the dinosaurs, the hotel pool, and their new friends they made. Here's them and their friends, Gini may recognize them.

Those are my kids with CC's kids. They had so much fun together, look at my little guy in the front, orange soda all down his shirt and he couldn't be happier. We had a great visit with CC and her family. She is such a great person, so talented and a great storyteller (you already knew that!) She was crazy enough to invite us all over to her house for dinner and while we chattered the kids all kept each other entertained. Sprout was adorable, and yes he does have hair (it's not his fault it's the same color as his skin!) Thank you CC for an enjoyable afternoon.

PS Her computer is in the shop, but she'll be back on QCA  just as soon as she gets it home.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 3:41 PM | Locked

Jacy, great picture of your and C.C.'s broods. But, where was Jenni, the mad dog of Montana? Sounds like a had a wonderful trip.

Carolyn, what is bad about Rit dye? I would love to try dyeing fabric. Have read about all these really expensive dyes. But, if you did, like, ice dyeing on PFD fabric, wouldn't Rit work? I am so confused about dyeing fabric that I am afraid to even buy any dye.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 3:53 PM | Locked

Jacy

I am so jealous....I would love to have the opportunity to meet CC.  Just love that woman.   Everyone looks really happy in the pic.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 425
Points 9,220
Pamela replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 3:59 PM | Locked

Sukochi:
Carolyn, what is bad about Rit dye?

Carolyn - what kind of dye do you use? Procion powder dyes? I understand that they are more vibrant and the dyes holds better. But, I know that you have to be more careful about using the powder, so that you don't breathe it in - harmful to the lungs.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,572
Points 51,640
Ginny replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 4:51 PM | Locked

Jacy,  It sure looks like all the kids had a great time with each other.  Thanks for letting us know that CC will be back.    Ginny

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,831
Points 39,995
ls2116 replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 8:27 PM | Locked

Today I moved my living room table to garage for more room.  Then I worked on all my computer devices and had my brother helping me.  Since I got this new phone I've been a bit anxious about settings.  i actually deleted settings thinking they were like a public forum so all my devices weren't operating right!  Now they are all synced.  Time to start planning my next baby quilt.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 607
Points 9,675
Joyce replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 8:28 PM | Locked

Mimi &Susan, We are going to Lancaster tomorrow and I have already told my husband and DGS to expect to take me to a few fabric stores, I have been to the Old Country Store a couple of years ago and was wowed at the amount of fabric they have.  I wrote down Lapp's from you advise Mimi and hope to make it there.  We are meeting ole friends and going to Site & Sound to see Noah so not sure just how much time I will get to browse but I will try to get in as much as I can.  I am looking for the triangulations CD Barbara mentioned and also fall fabric for my HST's.  I finished the pillow cases and mailed them off today. 

Susan that lobster sounds wonderful.  Boy am I hungry right now. ha

Joyce from Maryland

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 607
Points 9,675
Joyce replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 8:35 PM | Locked

Jacy both sets of the kids look so happy and really cute.  My Grandkids would love to be in the middle of that group.  Looks like lots of fun was shared.

Joyce

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 8:48 PM | Locked

MNnancy:

Excuse me for taking just a moment to showcase DH's talent.  He just finished building this beautiful sideboard for our dining room!

It's made of quarter-sawn oak, and it's HEAVY.  Now he thinks I can help him carry it up the steep deck staircase to the second floor, our main level.  I'm concerned for my back if I try that.  I keep telling him we need to adopt an 18-year-old son.

Holy Crap batman, that is a beauty

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 8:52 PM | Locked

Jacy, wonderful pic of all the kids

[Ava, Missouri

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,581
Points 26,460
Debbie replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 8:57 PM | Locked

Leslie :

He just finished building this beautiful sideboard for our dining room!

Wow!  does hubby do this for a hobby?  he's is great, it is a beauty!  

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,465
Points 41,130
Mimi replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 9:42 PM | Locked

Joyce:
We are going to Lancaster tomorrow

Ohhh, Joyce I'm really jealous.  Sight and Sound theater is wonderful.  Have lots of fun.  If you only have a little bit of time Old Country Store is the best. I've also included a web address that will be able to give you a little more about the area.  Oh I really wish I didn't have to clean tomorrow.  But I'll be there in a few weeks.  There's a great Knife shop on the way out of Intercourse.  My husband stops each time we go to Lancaster.

http://www.quiltart.com/lancaster.html

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,473
Points 24,140
Elaine Phillips replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 10:12 PM | Locked

Nancy, your sideboard is beautiful. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 10:31 PM | Locked

Love the photo of CC and Jacy's kids.  When I saw it mentioned that there was a picture of the kids, I wondered how it was done, knowing CC and her DH don't like photos that clearly show what they look like on public forums.  Great solution. 

Pamela, I love your dyeing.  Good idea to experiment with Rit.  I want to try some low water immersion this summer. 

Joyce, I love going to Lancaster and Intercourse whenever DH and I are visiting his family in PA.  One of my favorite places.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Page 75 of 95 (1418 items) « First ... < Previous 73 74 75 76 77 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use