Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #8

Page 74 of 95 (1418 items) « First ... < Previous 72 73 74 75 76 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,417 Replies | 33 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,670
Points 37,635
ls2116 replied on Mon, Jul 8 2013 11:17 PM | Locked

Wednesday or thurs. good for me i think let me know what time.

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 102
Points 1,730
winurse replied on Mon, Jul 8 2013 11:48 PM | Locked

absolutely beautiful!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,358
Points 414,959
gini replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 12:53 AM | Locked

MNnancy:

Excuse me for taking just a moment to showcase DH's talent.  He just finished building this beautiful sideboard for our dining room!

It's made of quarter-sawn oak, and it's HEAVY.  Now he thinks I can help him carry it up the steep deck staircase to the second floor, our main level.  I'm concerned for my back if I try that.  I keep telling him we need to adopt an 18-year-old son.

WOW, randy, this is wonderful and Sam adds it is gorgeous.

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 449
Points 8,560
Jan replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 1:24 AM | Locked

MN Nancy,

That is simply beautiful. You should look in the church community for heavy chore help.  The kids are usually willing and definitely able.  And many of them need "Community Service" for their high schools.  DGD1 is spending about 30 minutes a week vacuuming for a woman who has MS and just can't do it anymore. It doesn't sound like much but it adds up.  She got a call a few weeks back to go rearrange a house for a woman who couldn't.  The coordinator called and asked who was free for an hour and had so many responses he had to cut off the list because he didn't have enough drivers.  I wouldn't just ask any kid off the street, but many church groups have youth groups very willing to do this type of stuff.

Jan

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 77
Points 1,015
Cindy replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 4:45 AM | Locked

MNNancy, what a beautiful piece! He is truly gifted.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,670
Points 37,635
ls2116 replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 8:13 AM | Locked

Ginny I just pm you.  

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 425
Points 9,195
Pamela replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 12:25 PM | Locked

What am I up to Today? I am doing Shibori Dyeing. I have wanted to try the technique since seeing it demonstrated on Quilting Arts TV a couple of months ago. I am doing a wrapped technique with string and a tin can; and a stitched technique using squirt bottles. Here are a couple of the samples that I have completed.

My first attempt with the string & tin can did not come out so well, so I am redoing it. The stitched cloth worked beautifully. I also did low water immersion dyeing yesterday. I am learning a lot about dyeing fabric. And, having fun!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 425
Points 9,195
Pamela replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 12:25 PM | Locked

What am I up to Today? I am doing Shibori Dyeing. I have wanted to try the technique since seeing it demonstrated on Quilting Arts TV a couple of months ago. I am doing a wrapped technique with string and a tin can; and a stitched technique using squirt bottles. Here are a couple of the samples that I have completed.

My first attempt with the string & tin can did not come out so well, so I am redoing it. The stitched cloth worked beautifully. I also did low water immersion dyeing yesterday. I am learning a lot about dyeing fabric. And, having fun!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,847
Points 85,755
Sukochi replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 12:30 PM | Locked

This looks so great. I so want to trying dying fabric but am afraid to even attempt it.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 425
Points 9,195
Pamela replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 1:21 PM | Locked

I have been wanting to do it for a long time and finally decided that I would just do it.

I bought Rit liquid dye in the three basic colors - Fushia, Aquamarine & Lemon Yellow. I am using some muslin that I had on hand. Otherwise, just basic kitchen supplies, lots of water and quite a bit of time. I've also done some reading online and watched a few quilting programs. Quilting Arts TV has a lot of fiber art techniques and they also have a great website

My first attempts were okay, but I have already learned some important points about dyeing. Reading about it and doing it are two different things.

Here are the fabrics I dyed yesterday using a low immersion process.

As you can see, some of the fabrics turned out darker than others. It's all trial & error. I'll just keep practicing and hopefully get better at it.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,812
MNnancy replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 2:15 PM | Locked

Pamela:
It's all trial & error. I'll just keep practicing and hopefully get better at it.

Playing with fabric and creating pretty colors...  Sounds like you are having a fun summer!  Can I come to your activity camp?  LOL

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,333
Points 20,025
Carolyn (CarolBeau) replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 2:43 PM | Locked

Nancy, Wow!  Tell Randy great work on teh sideboard.

Patti, LOL.  That's so funny.  My mom had those at our house filled with sewing gear.  I was kind of the other way around though.  I expected those canisters to hold sewing gear and was surprised to ever see one with cookies inside.  :)

Raleigh, NC

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 425
Points 9,195
Pamela replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 2:49 PM | Locked

MNnancy:
Playing with fabric and creating pretty colors...  Sounds like you are having a fun summer!

Yes, lots of fun. I planned it that way. Sometimes you have to plan time for special activities. Next time, I'll have to invite everyone over - via the internet, anyway. I think that this needs to be a regular event during the summer.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,333
Points 20,025
Carolyn (CarolBeau) replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 2:59 PM | Locked

Pamela, if you ever want any tips or just someone to talk to about fabric dyeing, lemme know.  I am not an expert, but I love the fiber arts and have been dyeing at least a couple times a year since I was a teenager.  If you're interested, try browsing around the dharma trading website.  They have excellent guides and tutorials.  They have good prices on supplies also, but for me, it really only makes sense if I'm doing a big order since the cost of shipping is pretty high.  Also, I'm not sure what you were going for, but I personally tend to avoid RIT like the plague.  That could be part of the cause of the inconsistency you got.  And there are some other techniques that you can use to help the dye take better to prevent the unevenness and the inconsistency.  And I'm assuming based on your comment that you were not trying for that, but sometimes you are and the mottled look is quite lovely in quilting applications.  :)  Regardless of what you were trying for, I think your results are very pretty!  I hope you'll keep with it and continue posting your results as you do.  Sometimes the prettiest results are very different from what you were planning!  :)

Raleigh, NC

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,333
Points 20,025
Carolyn (CarolBeau) replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 3:21 PM | Locked

After posting this, I just saw your shibori results.  Love it!!  I hope you'll keep sharing!  :)

Raleigh, NC

Page 74 of 95 (1418 items) « First ... < Previous 72 73 74 75 76 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use