Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #8

Page 70 of 95 (1418 items) « First ... < Previous 68 69 70 71 72 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,417 Replies | 33 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,541
Points 46,765
Debbie-do replied on Sun, Jul 7 2013 8:29 AM | Locked

Is, go here and download the ap http://www.waze.com/

Southwest of San Antonio

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,027
Points 13,055

Leslie, I hate stripping wallpaper too. I have stripped one room and scored part of another room. In humid southern illinois this is an early spring or late fall project. LOL. I guess that's why it is going on 8 years for the first room. When spring or fall gets here I always have something else I want to do. BUT this fall is the year because DH wants to sell the house. If there is anything I hate more than remodeling/redecorating it is MOVING!!!!  Yuck!  Last time we moved I had most of my stuff in storage for three years, including sewing stuff. I just about went crazy. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,497
Points 30,470
Diana replied on Sun, Jul 7 2013 8:48 AM | Locked

Today's just another rainy day.  I'm going down to my quilt studio and sew a binding.  Then to get some quilt sandwiches put together to practice machine quilting. I'm going to learn machine quilting or else. 

Diana in East TN

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,119
Points 14,425
Dawn replied on Sun, Jul 7 2013 9:38 AM | Locked

Got 2 of my DGC.  For the next week, then next week will have DGS1 for a week.  It's summer!  I love having them, but I do get tired.  We have already taken them to a state park and took pics and swam in the creek.  It is way too hot, might have to buy a sprinkler!  DD and fam came for a sleep-over so there was 9 of us here!  Missed the other 3 . . . but we will be taking a family vacation at the end of the month!  Yay!  All 12 of us!

Everyone have an awesome week!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Sun, Jul 7 2013 11:06 AM | Locked

I'm trying to clean up my or rather a sewing area and the table so I can start on my new project...making "My Favorite Bag", it will be in red/white/black,  Went to the strip club at AST yesterday and was lured to a bag/purse that was shown.  Even more I was most fortunate to have Karen cut the fabrics exactly as called for, something I've never done.  I always added up the measurements and then had it cut.  What an awesome lesson given by a gracious owner of A Scarlet Thread.

In fact I'm going to suggest that she present a class on how to buy chose, purchase and have fabric cut and identified with small tags stapled to the fabric.    As she went along with me from start to completion of the purchase...I was learning every step of the way.  I will never buy fabric any other way again.  When done properly, you can chose to work on the project anytime for that day to several months, years down the road.  I hope to complete this purse ina couple weeks.  Not rushing one stitch...but so very excited.

Just the incentive I need to get my sewing room back on track and my mind in gear to complete several UFO's.

THANKS KAREN!  LOVE YOU AND GOD BLESS!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,273
Points 173,278
Marie replied on Sun, Jul 7 2013 11:53 AM | Locked

Sorry for your loss Leslie, T&P coming your way.  God Bless.  (((((HUGS)))))

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,273
Points 173,278
Marie replied on Sun, Jul 7 2013 11:54 AM | Locked

Sukochi, I love your PT postcard, good job!

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,847
Points 85,755
Sukochi replied on Sun, Jul 7 2013 12:09 PM | Locked

Joni, if I asked my LQS owner to cut the fabric in the project measurements like that, she would laugh me out of the shop. Maybe, that is why she is retiring. I called her with a question Sat. and she was down right rude! I was astounded.

Thanks, Marie. It was so easy and so fun. One of the ladies at church who is a painter was not excited about this at all. She said she started by painting on Paper towels! Who knew? 

Sukochi

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,583
Points 75,695
Karla replied on Sun, Jul 7 2013 4:08 PM | Locked

Yesterday we took DD1's inlaws and 2 of the grandsons to the first real settlement in Nevada, Genoa.  It boasts the oldest bar/saloon in Nevada (c 1851), courthouse, and Pony Express Station (Mormon Station).  It was the home of Snowshoe Thompson, who carried mail in a pack on his back, using skis over the Sierra Nevada Range from Mormon Station to Sportsman's Lodge in Pollock Pines, CA (just outside of Placerville).  Everyone seemed to enjoy the day trip.  We finished the day up with Chinese food at Louis' Chinese Bistro here in Fernley.  It was a long tiring day for this old lady but was happy that everyone had a good time.

Today, I have picked tomatoes, radishes and the first of the plum crop.  Looks like we'll have bell peppers and lot's more plums in a few more days, especially if the weather stays hot.  Thank goodness it is not as hot as last week, just the upper 90's yesterday and today and no more thunderstorms either.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Sun, Jul 7 2013 6:05 PM | Locked

Sukochi

Your LQS is there to serve you and if you wish to have your fabric cut and identified, then you should have it done, it doesn't matter how many pieces they cut and label, they still get paid for the fabric, patterns, accessories etc.   It is not different then buying  3yds of one, 1/2 yd of another, 1 yard of another, so what would be the problem. 

I will lay out my fabrics, pattern and accessories and take pics...will try for tomorrow.  I spent over $100.00 that I would not have spent otherwise.  Karen was so gracious, and the store was literally swamped.  I did not ask for all the special cutting, she just did it, and said anyone who works at AST would do the same for all customers.  I learned a lot yesterday.  I realized buy purchasing my fabric as laid out in directions, makes doing the project much easier, it follows the directions in order.  There is a reason for all those different cuts, maybe I'll improve my sewing and get back to making some clothes just because I love it.

Oh and I saw a marvelous quilt that was finished and lovely with NO BINDING.  It was done on a Baby Lock Serger in the wave pattern. I checked it out in very close detail.  Guess I will soon have to get this newer serger.  Wish I had taken a close up picture of it.  

Love that model of BL, it has the air threader and many newer stitches.  Last year we did a wall hanging, done with the fancy stitches on a block, just kept cutter off.  It was neat they had 5-6 Baby Lock serger set up in the classroom, all with different threads and we just did a musical machines as we learned to make our blocks.

We have a lot of fun and do some unique things at AST.  I've been lax about attending many of the available classes, but my heart has really kept me home, it's the pits, but I've finally hit a good spell and hopefully can keep it for a while.  I've also joined another Quilting Club in Thomaston...about 18 miles south, nice group of ladies and a couple guys.  Also found a new quilt shop, we've been years without a quilt shop in the area.  Good selection, great classes and the owner is fun and knowledgeable.  I'm so excited, gonna get back into the groove!  Yeah Boy!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,119
Points 14,425
Dawn replied on Sun, Jul 7 2013 6:44 PM | Locked

I have tried to get fat quarters cut at LQS and they won't do it.  I like to use them and I have a few patterns that use them, but they wouldn't do it.  Oh well, I just get to buy more fabric!  :-)  2 days down w/2DGKs!  We are having fun!  Our church has Day Camp instead of VBS and DGD2 will be going w/DGD1 and DGD3.  I will have the 2 youngest DGS.  It is every day this week, from 10 till 2.  DD is helping so I need to get to her house early like 9 and she doesn't get back till 3 or so.  Long days but fun!  Thankfully I will be able to take the boys and shop!  Fabric?  Yep!  :-)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,847
Points 85,755
Sukochi replied on Sun, Jul 7 2013 7:38 PM | Locked

Joni, she won't even cut fat quarters. If there are no fat quarters in the fabric you want then...TOUGH. No wonder she is closing the store.  I called this weekend and asked if she had metallic needles. She told me, in no uncertain terms, that she was in the back of the shop,, at the cutting table, with 4 ladies staring her down, and she did not have time to go look. And, if I wanted to know, I should come into town and look myself. Really. Can you imagine?

Sukochi

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Sun, Jul 7 2013 9:05 PM | Locked

I am an accident waiting to happen.  I bump into things, if there is anything around I can get scratched by, I will find it.  And I fall.  Cleaning out the closet and tripped on something and got lots of bruises and a swollen and bruised right thigh.  Big bruise.  But as long as I don't have to depend on physically changing position, I think I am safe.  So I can use my rotary cutter, but I better not walk with it. 

So just bruises and sore spots.  But one of these days, something is going to break.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,583
Points 75,695
Karla replied on Sun, Jul 7 2013 9:40 PM | Locked

Dawn:
I have tried to get fat quarters cut at LQS and they won't do it.

My LQS will gladly cut fat quarters or anything I need.  They aim to please.  I often by batting off the bolt and have them cut it the exact size I want.  Sure saves me the trouble of trying to cut it on my small table.  I love my LQS.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,485
Points 47,775
Frances replied on Sun, Jul 7 2013 9:44 PM | Locked

Sukochi,

It begs the question why when she has four people waiting did she answer the phone in the first place, I worked in retail for years and the first thing i was always taught you never answer the phone when you have customers waiting since you cant help the person on the phone when you are serving someone else.

Over here every shop ive been in will cut fat quarters with no hassle.

lots of love

Francesxx

Page 70 of 95 (1418 items) « First ... < Previous 68 69 70 71 72 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use