Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #8

Page 58 of 95 (1418 items) « First ... < Previous 56 57 58 59 60 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,417 Replies | 33 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,586
Patti replied on Mon, Jun 24 2013 9:05 AM | Locked

I am exhausted.  There was the WA Ornithological Society conference in Omak, and I took advantage of a wonderful opportunity.  Signed myself up for some field trips.  Over did it though.  Saturday's schedule started with field trip starting at 5:30 am, then about half hour break before social hour, dinner, speaker.  At 8 pm several of us had to leave to go on the owling field trip.  Didn't get done til after midnight, then had to drive home (35 min.) AND get back at 5 :30 am for another field trip on Sunday.  First day saw 93 species of birds, and heard 3 different owls.  On Sunday we found a Northern Hawk Owl.  Geez.  You'd think everyone in the group had won Fabric for Life.  Everyone taking lots of pictures of the owl, and then pictures of themselves with big grins by the scopes. 

We stopped at one house that had several humming bird feeders, and bird houses.  I should have taken a picture of everyone looking at the house from the fence with binoculars and telescopes pointed at the house.   If the resident was home, they didn't come out. 

Well,  gotta go to work.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
MelodyP MO/KS replied on Mon, Jun 24 2013 9:51 AM | Locked

Patti, I love feeding and watching birds from our backyard bird feeders and am thrilled when a  bird finds the feeder and returns,  The latest has been a Baltimore couple.  They are so beautiful but shy.  Nothing compared to your adventures but still a thrill

MelodyP

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,499
Points 48,025
Frances replied on Mon, Jun 24 2013 9:55 AM | Locked

Patti,

Did you take any pictures us nosy Brits love to see.

lots of love

Francesxx

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,587
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Mon, Jun 24 2013 11:55 AM | Locked

Gee, we have lots of robins, quails, doves, and those ugly ole crows, but not too many colorful birds.  We do have some hummingbirds (green), and some cute tiny little bright yellow birds that almost look like canaries.  I haven't taken the time to look them up to see what they are.  Also some little brown birds (almost like wrens) with bright red heads.   We also have hawks, falcons and eagles at certain times of the year.  We live not too far from a sanctuary so we see some strange birds now and then.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,679
Points 120,550
Judy Taylor-Bellingham replied on Mon, Jun 24 2013 12:13 PM | Locked

Karla:
and those ugly ole crows,

Ooh, Karla, we love our crows. They are the most fascinating bird. Intelligent and personable.  Admittedly, not exactly beautiful on the outside. But then, my hubby has always had a soft spot for the unloved and unlovely in nature. Over the years it's kind of rubbed off on me although I do love the pretty little songbirds. As long as they don't doo-doo on my car! :-)

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,499
Points 48,025
Frances replied on Mon, Jun 24 2013 1:24 PM | Locked

Karla,

Can i swap you some pigeons for your hummingbirds my garden would be complete if i had some hummingbirds:-)

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,587
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Mon, Jun 24 2013 1:56 PM | Locked

No thank you, Frances, we already have pigeons, but I don't call them birds, I call them messy old pests.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,761
Points 66,995
Bonita replied on Mon, Jun 24 2013 2:07 PM | Locked

Francis, what can you swap for some morning doves? They are kind of a pest here, but they have a most beautiful sound, almost like an owl. The mocking birds are really loud first thing in the morning. You can have them for free. LOL

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,586
Patti replied on Mon, Jun 24 2013 3:35 PM | Locked

But we need mourning doves.  By Native American legend, it is the mourning doves that call the salmon to return upstream. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,761
Points 66,995
Bonita replied on Mon, Jun 24 2013 3:47 PM | Locked

Patti:

But we need mourning doves.  By Native American legend, it is the mourning doves that call the salmon to return upstream. 

Sorry Patti, not a salmon stream around here in Pompano Beach. But they do love to eat the dog food if the kids forget and leave it out. Then they're like pigeons they're every where.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,761
Points 66,995
Bonita replied on Mon, Jun 24 2013 3:49 PM | Locked

Bonita:
By Native American legend, it is the mourning doves that call the salmon to return upstream.

I do like that legend. I wonder if the Seminoles have one for thre doves?

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, Jun 24 2013 4:08 PM | Locked

Bonita:
What can you swap for some morning doves? They are kind of a pest here, but they have a most beautiful sound, almost like an owl. The mocking birds are really loud first thing in the morning.

I love mourning doves!  We get a nesting couple every year, and then we watch them raise their young.  I love their sweet cooing.

I was so disappointed when I heard there was to be a mourning dove hunting season in Minnesota.  Apparently there are parts of the state where they get too many doves like you have, Bonita.  Even more shocking, there is a sandhill crane season in the far NW corner of the state each fall.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,367
Points 37,265
Linda replied on Mon, Jun 24 2013 4:22 PM | Locked

If humans would quit building into their habitats, there would be no problems and "over population".

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,586
Patti replied on Mon, Jun 24 2013 8:52 PM | Locked

Bonita:
But they do love to eat the dog food if the kids forget and leave it out. Then they're like pigeons they're every where

This is a mourning dove.

sometimes too much of a good thing, is too much.  I don't think I would like them as much if there were so many of them.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Mon, Jun 24 2013 9:07 PM | Locked

Congrats on your shopping find Weezee!

Hope the  doc was nice to you Diane.

Patti, I know you're exhaused but I bet it was a great experience! We have a Great Barn owl in residence near here. I occasionally here it calling late at night.

My computer has been locking up almost daily. Today it took nearly 4  hours to get the information I needed on-line, and then another four to log on here. I am thinking that it is time cry "uncle"  ...  Anyway, If I disappear you'll all know why.

I had a peeking Tom last night while I was washing up before bed. I looked out the bathroom window and found myself staring into a pair of big brown doe eyes! Momma deer appearently kicked  last year's twins out, and they were foraging in unfamilure pastures (I usually see them with her, a couple of feilds over). Our back lot hasn't been mowed this year and it's full of temping goodies for young ovines, so they naturally came to pay a visit. When they saw me through the window one rose up on her hind legs and crained her neck to get a better view...just about the same time I looked out!  Sadly they were long gone by the time I got the camera.

Now another Thunderstorm is brewing and I need to shut off this crabby old piece of...office equipment. 'Hope to see you all tomorrow...

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Page 58 of 95 (1418 items) « First ... < Previous 56 57 58 59 60 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use