Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #8

Page 44 of 95 (1418 items) « First ... < Previous 42 43 44 45 46 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,417 Replies | 33 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,649
Points 52,690
Ginny replied on Thu, Jun 13 2013 5:49 AM | Locked

What a wonderful and timely privilege you have had handed to you, Gini.  Enjoy every little minute of it.  I didn't get that much joy with my granddaughters when they were born, but they have certainly granted me that privilege with their children , and I love it. Get every little snuggle and squeeze in that you can.    Ginny

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Thu, Jun 13 2013 6:43 AM | Locked

Quiltless:
More complicated than that, but this is the short version.  

Well, that was long enough to understand that this is an awful situation. I feel for you.  Good luck righting the situation.  I know this is not what you wanted to be doing in your retirement.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,402
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Thu, Jun 13 2013 8:14 AM | Locked

Quiltless:
I made a criminal report for financial elder abuse.

I really feel for you in this situation.  Many times in my work I have had to make a referral to Adult Protective Services for this kind of abuse.  It is far too frequent and more often than not, it is family that is doing it.  

APS only occasionally was able to do something, but they have no "teeth."  I think going the criminal route can sometimes be more effective. 

I have been very fortunate with my sister.  Just the two of us.  When my mother passed away, my sister and I both looked out for each other, the only disagreements being "no I think you should take this, because it means more to you. . ."  My sister was executor, but there was no compensation set forth in the will.  But I insisted she get something for the work.  

I hope you can return to your sewing soon.  I will be coming your way to see my sister as soon as the wild blackberries are ready. I want a few gallons.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,703
Points 179,728
Marie replied on Thu, Jun 13 2013 8:53 AM | Locked

gini:
She called and said they were very tired and would I mind helping them out for a few days.  Patience is a virtue I must cultivate more.   I have bombarded them wonderful home cooking, cleaning, laundry and shopping. Both of them hate to shop.   I have been rewarded with hours of  baby holding.   Periodically I disappear into the barn to give them quiet time, but the USIL. Seems very happy for me to help out.

Gini, so happy for you to get a chance to be with your daughter and her family, especially Elza.  Even very private children come around at one time or another, makes one feel good to help.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,583
Points 24,040
Susie replied on Thu, Jun 13 2013 9:23 AM | Locked

Gini--Elza is a beautiful name, and I'm sure is just as lovely as her name.  Congrats on another grandbaby to spoil!

Quiltless--I'm sorry you are deling with all this.  Just make sure you take time for yourself through it all.

No storms for me.  I heard that we had a thunderstorm for a while, but I had gone to Milwaukee for the evening and it barely rained up there.  By the time I was on my way home, it was just a spattering of gentle rain.

Tonight is a sewing night.  I'm going to TRY to get the rest of the blocks ready for one of the baby quilts I need to do.  I'm really hoping that it's going to work the way it is in my head!

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Thu, Jun 13 2013 10:17 AM | Locked

Quiltless

Wow....what a mess.  I hope that you are able to get things fixed for your Mom.   That is just so wrong in so many ways.   Thoughts and prayers for you.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Thu, Jun 13 2013 10:19 AM | Locked

Leslie :

Nana, welcome back. sounds like you had a relaxing vacaton

NOT>.....  In a hotel room with 3 kids is anything but relaxing.  But it was fun.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Thu, Jun 13 2013 10:22 AM | Locked

Quiltless, I'm come to believe there is one in every family that wants all of the money.  We experienced some of that with my DH's family when his Mom lived with his brother.  He charged her $1000 a month, but there was no compensation expected or received during the times she lived with us or with DH's sister.  She died over a year ago, and the estate is now settled, but his brother wants nothing to do with any of us (nor we with him, now) since his mother's will/trust divided everything up equally, not that he left much in any of the accounts.

Good luck and stand your ground....greed should not rule our lives.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Thu, Jun 13 2013 10:24 AM | Locked

Nana:

Leslie :

Nana, welcome back. sounds like you had a relaxing vacaton

NOT>.....  In a hotel room with 3 kids is anything but relaxing.  But it was fun.

Oh, Nana, I feel for you.  I enjoy the grandkids but the noise level, fighting and arguing just for the fun of it leaves my head pounding.  I know why God gives us our children when we are young...they just have too much energy.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,545
Points 417,024
gini replied on Thu, Jun 13 2013 10:53 AM | Locked

Quilt less, I am sorry for all the baloney your family is putting you through.  I know how jolting it is when family members try to take our parents assets before the parents are gone.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,545
Points 417,024
gini replied on Thu, Jun 13 2013 11:11 AM | Locked

I think the recycling is going to do me in.   I stand at the frig for long periods of time, staring at the recycle instructions trying to figure out what I'm holding and where it goes.  Then when I think I have it figured out, amie says, " mom?  If the paper bag has food stuck in it, it isn't a recyclable, it's a compost.  Good grief.   There are four different colored receptacles out back, that hold four different kinds of garbage, and evidently you get fined if they find the wrong garbage in a can.  Way too much stress going on over the garbage.

At home, they have a recycle truck that goes around on a different day than the regular garbage truck.  When we found out  they have no mechanism or policy in place to handle separated garbage and they dump it all in the same place, we stopped recycling until they get their act together.  I am so glad they are incompetent.

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,649
Points 52,690
Ginny replied on Thu, Jun 13 2013 11:32 AM | Locked

That makes me laugh, Gini.  I got told by my GGD yesterday that V-8 cans don't go in the garbage, they go in the recycle bin.  She is all of 3 1/2 years old.   Now I don't have garbage pickup service, but I usually take my recyclables to my daughter to put with hers.  Right now though she has moved and the trash pick-up service can't seem to get it in their head that she is paying for this service extra and so they haven't picked up her recyclables yet.  It has been over a month and I have a large bag for her but no room to store anymore so they have been going in the garbage.   Ginny

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Thu, Jun 13 2013 11:55 AM | Locked

Our garbage company doesn't have recycling; however, there is recycling center just a mile or two away right off of Main Street that takes (and pays for) aluminum cans and plastic water/soda bottles, so I do recycle those.  Last time I took them to the center they paid me $96 which I immediately used down at the LQS.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,405
Points 21,105
Carolyn (CarolBeau) replied on Thu, Jun 13 2013 1:11 PM | Locked

We have a scrap metal yard that I know will pay for aluminum cans, but I just assumed it wouldn't be enough money to make it worth it.  If it's anywhere near what you're getting paid, Karla, I might have to look into separating those out from my other recyclables!  

Raleigh, NC

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,609
Points 27,095
Debbie replied on Thu, Jun 13 2013 3:28 PM | Locked

Karla:

Nana and Karla - we took our five oldest (ages 13, 12, 11, 7 and 3 at the time) all to GA from OK in our RV for a week long trip 4 years ago.  It was fun and frustrating but the memories are priceless.  the 3 yr old is now 7 and he remembers it and wants to do it again.  March 2012 we took both daughters and those 5 grandchildren in the RV to Disney World and GA.  some arguments but lots of fun and memories well never lose.  we did take a couple of nights and spend in hotels, each family had their own room so some relief for 3 nights.  

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Page 44 of 95 (1418 items) « First ... < Previous 42 43 44 45 46 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use