Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #8

Page 23 of 95 (1418 items) « First ... < Previous 21 22 23 24 25 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,417 Replies | 33 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Wed, Jun 5 2013 8:57 AM | Locked

Oooo, I am upset.  Quilt Canada had their big quilt show in Penticton Canada mid May and I MISSED IT!!!!!  It's so close.  What a disapointment!   Now I HAVE to go to the quilt show in Portland this year, just before the Oregon coast retreat.  It's the only way to make it up to myself. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,225
Points 27,610
Agnes replied on Wed, Jun 5 2013 9:00 AM | Locked

Karla:
or teething (though it doesn't look like any teeth are on the verge of erupting)

Karla--My family doctor thought I was off my rocker when I told him at six week checkup that I thought the baby was sleeping poorly because future teeth were bothering him. There were the slightest bumps  on his gums. Those little beggers broke through at 8 months. He was the worst kid for getting decent sleeps so I was badly sleep deprived for years. All of his teeth were a real issue and he was 4.5 years before he finally slept through the night. Turned out biggest issue was he had a brain that wouldn't shut off and he also needed very little sleep.

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,582
Points 75,645
Karla replied on Wed, Jun 5 2013 10:24 AM | Locked

Dawn:
Karla, if I had all those tomatoes I would make salsa and my sauce for my fresh pasta!  I do have a couple roma tomato plants, our yard isn't really good for gardens . .   :-(  

Ooh, I forgot about making salsa and marinara sauces...thank you, I'll add that to my list of what to do with all of the tomatoes.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,582
Points 75,645
Karla replied on Wed, Jun 5 2013 10:27 AM | Locked

Debbie:
I would have thought the fleshy part would fall apart in the brine, after all it's mainly water.  Interesting, would love to see recipe for those.  I'll have to look for it,  get asked to find recipes quite often at the library.  I love www.allrecipes.com, great site for finding something to make for dinner!  especially with what you have on hand!

That's why I'm trying to find the recipe..I'm thinking they must have been cold-packed to keep their firmness.  I'm going to have to ask my older cousins back in the Dakotas if they know how she made them...I know some of them are still on the farm and still do canning.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,582
Points 75,645
Karla replied on Wed, Jun 5 2013 10:30 AM | Locked

Agnes:
Karla--My family doctor thought I was off my rocker when I told him at six week checkup that I thought the baby was sleeping poorly because future teeth were bothering him. There were the slightest bumps  on his gums. Those little beggers broke through at 8 months. He was the worst kid for getting decent sleeps so I was badly sleep deprived for years. All of his teeth were a real issue and he was 4.5 years before he finally slept through the night. Turned out biggest issue was he had a brain that wouldn't shut off and he also needed very little sleep.

My daughters always spiked fevers when they were teething, but they also seemed to have ear infections (take after their father with small ear canals) and strep throat (got that from me).  I think it is teething myself, my daughter agrees, however, her DH (this is his first child) doesn't seem to trust anyone but doctors, so we humor him with visits to the pediatrician.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 102
Points 1,730
winurse replied on Wed, Jun 5 2013 11:02 AM | Locked

Maybe it has something to do with the area.   My uncle in MN had trouble keeping his confined to grew so well.    He did not even like it.      So, you ask why grow it?

Well  he was a farmer and used it for bee stings.    I just found that out a few years ago.    It works quite well,   just break off a stalk and rub it on.    Thats just a piece of trivia that I have collected over the years.    Had never heard it before or since..

Good Luck with your growing.

Sharon

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 102
Points 1,730
winurse replied on Wed, Jun 5 2013 11:06 AM | Locked

If you find that recipe I would love to try it too!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,582
Points 75,645
Karla replied on Wed, Jun 5 2013 1:02 PM | Locked

winurse:
Maybe it has something to do with the area.   My uncle in MN had trouble keeping his confined to grew so well.    He did not even like it.      So, you ask why grow it?

I'm in Nevada and not too much grows here...I've tried rhubarb before and it didn't do well, but this time I planted it on the east side of the house, it gets about 6 or 7 hours of good warm sunlight, but not the really hot afternoon sun...I also water it frequently and that might be the difference.  I always added a lot of amendments to the soil (our soil is quite alkaline), and so far it seems to be doing very well.

I know my grandmother always raised rhubarb in North Dakota, so it should do well in the winter cuz' if the cold didn't kill it there, it shouldn't kill it here either.  One problem here might be that we get very little moisture in the winter, but we have to drain the sprinkler and garden lines due to the fact that they will freeze and explode, so if they need moisture in the winter I'll have to go out and water it by hand.  The nursery told me just to cover them with mulch in the winter, so we'll see how that does.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,626
Points 36,875
ls2116 replied on Wed, Jun 5 2013 1:57 PM | Locked

Went to dr. today he wants pic of my heart.  Funny thing i was sorting nephews quilt pics for an album and a lady that was leaving office spotted the pics shes a quilter and gave me her card I never thought i'd meet up with a serious quilter at my drs.!  learning about my new phone.  getting ready for dinner now.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,494
Points 30,410
Diana replied on Wed, Jun 5 2013 2:34 PM | Locked

Today has been a busy one.  Had to take DH to VA hospital for his second chemo treatment.  6 more to go.  Then after leaving and heading home, stopped at Mennonite shop and deli.  They make the absolute best sandwiches for less than $4.  They include 1/2 pound of meat, and any toppings you want.  They also have great fresh baked goodies..... 

Then, came on here and Judy is telling us about the project bags at Eleanor Burns and had to order some.  

Diana in East Tn. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,702
Points 436,420
Nana replied on Wed, Jun 5 2013 2:36 PM | Locked

Diane

How is Bob doing with the chemo.  I have had you guys in my thoughts and prayers.

Aren't those bags the greatest....and boy what a price.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,809
Points 43,669
Eileen replied on Wed, Jun 5 2013 2:44 PM | Locked

Jan,

I lived in Rochester for 5 years in the 90's. I was a sign language interpreter & worked at Churchville-Chili schools for three years. That area of the country is absolutely beautiful - I miss going to Letchworth in the Fall.  Kudos to you for volunteering - volunteers do so much good! It really is rewarding to watch the younger ones learn to read on their own :-)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,494
Points 30,410
Diana replied on Wed, Jun 5 2013 3:34 PM | Locked

Nana,   Bob is doing very well with his chemo.  The only problem he has is the super dose of antibiotic they give him make him a bit dizzy or that's more dizzy.  It also gives him a bit of insomnia.  He has one or two nights of having trouble sleeping.  But since he doesn't work, he can sleep when he gets tired enough.  Thanks for asking.

Diana in East Tn.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,105
Points 109,540
chocake2 replied on Wed, Jun 5 2013 4:31 PM | Locked

Karla:
Has anyone had pickled watermelon?

Yes. Mom loved it. I'll look and see if I can find her recipe for you ...but no promises.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 102
Points 1,730
winurse replied on Wed, Jun 5 2013 5:50 PM | Locked

I love Letchworth.    Only been there once but saw the most beautiful rainbow over a waterfall with an eagle swooping down in front of the fall.    I will never forget that sight.

Page 23 of 95 (1418 items) « First ... < Previous 21 22 23 24 25 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use