Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #8

Page 22 of 95 (1418 items) « First ... < Previous 20 21 22 23 24 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,417 Replies | 33 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,583
Points 75,695
Karla replied on Tue, Jun 4 2013 9:31 PM | Locked

I've just come in from picking cherries and strawberries out of the yard.  Trying to get to them before the birds get to all of them.  While I was out there I got bitten (stung, whatever) by a fire aunt, and boy does it hurt.  My little toe is red and swollen and on fire.  I immediately found their mound and filled it full of insect killer as we don't have any coffee grounds right now.  Tomorrow morning I'll pour the coffee grounds in there and hope it does the trick.  We get them every summer, but this year is by far the worse infestation we've had.  After taking care of the ants, I watered the garden.  The tomato plants are doing great (what am I going to with the tomatoes from 12 vines, guess I'll be canning again), the rhubarb is doing excellent, the snap peas appear to have all died, but the radishes, cucumbers, watermelon, cantaloupe and pole beans seem to be doing just fine.  Oops, there are 3 different kinds of bell pepper plants and one chili pepper, too, that seem to be thriving.  Now, if I can just keep the grasshoppers from munching them all up we should have a great crop for freezing and canning and especially for eating fresh.

Has anyone had pickled watermelon?  My grandmother used to make it all the time, but I haven't seen a recipe for it...my husband loves it, me, I think watermelon should taste like watermelon, not pickles.  But if I can find a recipe and we get enough watermelon, I might try pickling some for him.  

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Jun 4 2013 9:47 PM | Locked

WOW Nancy were did you ever find a bed like this ,,?? and is it a water bed ?  LOL  sure is a beauty . I think I would want a very serene quilt for this .as the headboard is already very busy ..

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Jun 4 2013 9:49 PM | Locked

Gini your rainbow  picture  are beautiful ..are you gonna share that pot of gold ..LOL   Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Jun 4 2013 9:50 PM | Locked

Jen I think this is God work ,and a wonderful sign from him ..Beautiful . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,445
Points 24,075
Debbie replied on Tue, Jun 4 2013 10:01 PM | Locked

Karla, actually Ithink its watermelon rind pickles, and yes so good. Been long time since I had any of those.

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,583
Points 75,695
Karla replied on Tue, Jun 4 2013 10:37 PM | Locked

Nope, my grandmother's were actually the red flesh that was pickled, seeds and all, cut up in chunks.  She pickled them with dill and hot peppers.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 102
Points 1,730
winurse replied on Tue, Jun 4 2013 11:02 PM | Locked

my mother and grandmother made watermelon pickles,     they were made from the rind.    Is that what you are looking for.     If it is I will look for the recipe I am  sure I have it .    

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Tue, Jun 4 2013 11:29 PM | Locked

Karla

I have only seen the watermelon rind pickles.  Never seen any made with the melon before.  Sounds interesting.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,664
Points 37,515
ls2116 replied on Tue, Jun 4 2013 11:31 PM | Locked

Today i took nephews quilt for a show and tell tour at local shops.  Of coarse while i was at each i made a purchase of material for my stash.  On the way home from my adventure I had trouble with my cell phone got home called company had more trouble.  Ran out again and got myself a smarter phone, but i only use it for emergencys more or less if i even use the phone for 30 minutes a month its amazing but anyway i had to call their customer service just to figure out how to make calls.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,664
Points 37,515
ls2116 replied on Tue, Jun 4 2013 11:34 PM | Locked

my son interupted me.  Tomorrow i go back to dr. i think i'll be getting water pill pres. as ankles are swelling again.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Wed, Jun 5 2013 4:26 AM | Locked

Today it will be war with the chipmunks and bunny.  i will finish putting up the bunny fence, about 160 feet of chicken wire around the garden.  Then i will use make cages of smaller mesh wire to protect our vegetables and fruits.  Then I can finally replant the vegetables.  This year we WILL have blue berries.  And enough strawberries at one time to make straw berry shortcake.  Hmmm, if the critters can't get to the berries, then they will hit the tomatoes.  So I better make cages for them as well.

Chipmunks multiply much faster than bunnies.  And they climb very well.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,445
Points 24,075
Debbie replied on Wed, Jun 5 2013 6:50 AM | Locked

Karla:
Nope, my grandmother's were actually the red flesh that was pickled, seeds and all, cut up in chunks.  She pickled them with dill and hot peppers.

I would have thought the fleshy part would fall apart in the brine, after all it's mainly water.  Interesting, would love to see recipe for those.  I'll have to look for it,  get asked to find recipes quite often at the library.  I love www.allrecipes.com, great site for finding something to make for dinner!  especially with what you have on hand!

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 342
Points 6,740
tnmtgrl replied on Wed, Jun 5 2013 7:24 AM | Locked

Karla:

Has anyone had pickled watermelon?  My grandmother used to make it all the time, but I haven't seen a recipe for it...my husband loves it, me, I think watermelon should taste like watermelon, not pickles.  But if I can find a recipe and we get enough watermelon, I might try pickling some for him.  

My husband makes pickles from the rind and has a great recipe maybe you can use the same one, or maybe you can google it...let me know and I will give you his if you want it.

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 342
Points 6,740
tnmtgrl replied on Wed, Jun 5 2013 7:34 AM | Locked

Karla:
the rhubarb is doing excellent

Karla, do you have a secret to growing rhubarb? My husband has been trying for some time and it just does not seem to take off like it should, it usually dies...what is your secret?? 

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,119
Points 14,425
Dawn replied on Wed, Jun 5 2013 7:59 AM | Locked

Karla, if I had all those tomatoes I would make salsa and my sauce for my fresh pasta!  I do have a couple roma tomato plants, our yard isn't really good for gardens . .   :-(  

We are getting rain again.  The only good thing is I don't have a peacock slamming himself against the windows and doors.  I think the gnats are making him nuts.  He scares me to death when he does it!

Shopping today w/DD and DGKs.  

Everyone have the most wonderful day!

• | Post Points: 35
Page 22 of 95 (1418 items) « First ... < Previous 20 21 22 23 24 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use