Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #8

Page 7 of 95 (1418 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,417 Replies | 33 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,339
Points 36,780
Linda replied on Sat, May 25 2013 4:23 PM | Locked

Joni:

Linda

Tell me about the cantaloupe bags,m I'm so wanting to do cantaloupes.  Such a yummy treat anytime.

They are just regular garden grow bags. I ordered them thru Home Depot because the garden centers were too expensive. You just fill with garden soil and plant. I've used them for tomatoes for years now. So this year I'm going to try cantalopes and make a trellis with chicken wire to the fence (like an A-frame). I wanted to use an old ladder like I'd seen on Pintrest but I don't drive so can't get out to find one. I did plant some zucchini under a trellis to see if it will grow up it so the squash won't be on the ground. The rest I put in the garden tho. I do raised gardening so I don't have to bend. I plant the zucchini so it grows over the side. Just google  garden grow bags in Home Depot's search engine. There are 10 per pack.

• | Post Points: 0
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, May 25 2013 4:33 PM | Locked

Debbie, sorry to hear your machine is acting up.  How frustrating!  What brand/model do you have?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,339
Points 36,780
Linda replied on Sat, May 25 2013 4:34 PM | Locked

Joni:

Linda

Tell me about the cantaloupe bags,m I'm so wanting to do cantaloupes.  Such a yummy treat anytime.

The are like the garden grow bags you get at the garden centers only less expensive. Go to Home Depot and search  plastic grow bag. I got the 20 gal. (10 pack) and they only cost $17.97...free shipping by picking up at the store. (They didn't have them in the store.) I've used for my tomatoes for 3 years now. So thought I'd try for catalopes. I'll make a A-frame trellis and attach to the fence. I wanted to use an old wooden ladder like I saw on Pintrest, but I can't drive so couldn't get out to find a ladder. Maybe by next year.

I planted some zucchini under a trellis to see what happens. The rest went into the raised garden and I let it hang over the side. My garden is waist high so I don't have to bend. I wanted to do the zucchini the same way as the cantalope. Looks like that has to wait till next year too.

I saved my seeds from fruit bought at the store. Rinse and let dry on paper towel. When completely dry, I stored in ziplock bag marked on outside with date and type of seed. I save a lot of flower seeds too...skip the rinse and let dry part. Make great gifts. You can download seed packets.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,339
Points 36,780
Linda replied on Sat, May 25 2013 4:35 PM | Locked

Joni:

Linda

I've tried 3 times and get error message.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,108
Points 109,585
chocake2 replied on Sat, May 25 2013 5:31 PM | Locked

I sure am enjoying seeing everyones gardening efforts! 'So bright and cheery!

Jr and I planted veggies today. Had hoped to get the spuds in last week, but...  Kind of early for the rest of it, but I think it'll be Ok. We actually have a huge garden patch but I had such a horrible time battling the bind weed (Wild morning glories), pig weed and chick weed last year that I gave up on it. Instead this year I am planting in the little raised rose bed since the roses all winter killed the year before we bought the place. There's not enough room for more them a few odds and ends, so I only have a half do spud hills and 2 squash plants, a few peas and a couple corn hills. Hopefully it'll be enough to satisfy my need to play in the dirt. 

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 366
Points 7,235
tnmtgrl replied on Sat, May 25 2013 5:46 PM | Locked

This morning we started off by going on a 4.5 mile hike in the GSM National Park to a waterfall called Hen's Wallow...pic is below. Then when we got home we picked strawberries to freeze, we already made all the jam we need, so the rest are for shortcake and smoothies. Today was absolutely gorgeous here, I think our high was around 72 with a very lite breeze and brilliant blue sky. I am so glad I took vacation this week cause I got some great weather. Now I am working on some quilts, thinkin about going outside to enjoy the last of the day.

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 366
Points 7,235
tnmtgrl replied on Sat, May 25 2013 5:58 PM | Locked

Since everyone is showing their gardens here is ours and the orchard and one of our gorgeous day;;

newport, tennessee

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Sat, May 25 2013 6:37 PM | Locked

Linda:

Joni:
Linda I goggled home depot grow bags...came up with plenty of info.

Linda

I've tried 3 times and get error message.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,480
Points 24,685
Debbie replied on Sat, May 25 2013 6:46 PM | Locked

Marie:
Debbie, don't throw a shoe at me when I ask you this question, do you have the walking foot installed correctly?

Marie, I won't because I finally figured that part out myself, after I took it up to the Brother dealer and he had to fix a piece that had gotten out of place. It moves the deed dogs and it needed to go in a little slot and it had jumped out and wasn't going back in there.  It is working like a charm now and best thing is the Brother dealer is only 1/2 mile away from me.  SWEET!

Thanks to all who responded, I knew I could depend on you ladies for help.  Now, my next question - when quilting by hand, you start in the center.  where do you start when machine quilting?  does it matter?  I've got a table topper for my first item to quilt, it is Crazy Eight Strip Teaser pattern.  not sure where to begin quilting, was just going to stitch in the ditch.  Do I drop the feed dogs to use that foot?  Reason I ask becuz I thought I did with the walking foot but repair guy said no.   I feel so novice with this.  don't want to mess it up.  

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,480
Points 24,685
Debbie replied on Sat, May 25 2013 6:47 PM | Locked

Marie:
Debbie, don't throw a shoe at me when I ask you this question, do you have the walking foot installed correctly?

Marie, I won't because I finally figured that part out myself, after I took it up to the Brother dealer and he had to fix a piece that had gotten out of place. It moves the deed dogs and it needed to go in a little slot and it had jumped out and wasn't going back in there.  It is working like a charm now and best thing is the Brother dealer is only 1/2 mile away from me.  SWEET!

Thanks to all who responded, I knew I could depend on you ladies for help.  Now, my next question - when quilting by hand, you start in the center.  where do you start when machine quilting?  does it matter?  I've got a table topper for my first item to quilt, it is Crazy Eight Strip Teaser pattern.  not sure where to begin quilting, was just going to stitch in the ditch.  Do I drop the feed dogs to use that foot?  Reason I ask becuz I thought I did with the walking foot but repair guy said no.   I feel so novice with this.  don't want to mess it up.  

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,480
Points 24,685
Debbie replied on Sat, May 25 2013 6:54 PM | Locked

thanks, MNancy, it is working like a charm now.  ran it over to Brother's dealer (1/2 mile from home) and he fixed it on the spot.  took less than 20 minutes for me to drive there, he fixed and drive home.  It's a Brother SC9500 I got for my birthday.  really like it...

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,480
Points 24,685
Debbie replied on Sat, May 25 2013 6:56 PM | Locked

what's up  - I downloaded Google Chrome and everytime  try to pst it says it takes took long but then it has posted.  does anyone else use Chrome and have that problem?

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,194
Points 15,975
Susan replied on Sat, May 25 2013 6:59 PM | Locked

Jen, The waterfall pics are beautiful ! I just love the mountains and waterfalls. Its a beautiful day here in North Florida  unusual for Memorial day weekend . It was 80 today and no humidity. We grilled outside for dinner and so enjoyed it. It is usually hot and humid this time of year. I spent a lot of time in my sewing room  making a table runner for my DD. Hope everyone is enjoying this long holiday weekend.          Susan

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 366
Points 7,235
tnmtgrl replied on Sat, May 25 2013 6:59 PM | Locked

Having the same problem with Internet Explorer.....must be the website itself

newport, tennessee

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, May 25 2013 9:34 PM | Locked

Jen's right.  Today it doesn't matter which browser you use - the QCA server is back to its old tricks, and since it's a long holiday weekend, I doubt it will be fixed very quickly.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Page 7 of 95 (1418 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use