Top 10 Posters

TV Programme and Film Quilt Quiltopaedia.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,473
Points 47,580
Frances Posted: Wed, May 22 2013 6:30 AM

Just a thought and i dont think anyones done this recently how many films/tv programmes can you think of that have quilts in.

I have come up with obviously How to make an American Quilt, and A stoning in Fulham County and im presuming there must be one in Witness although i will have to rewatch the film to find out.

So how many can you come up with, and did you notice what design they were I know How to make an American Quilt had a Baltimore style, Crazy quilt, the quilt on the title, the baby quilt, and an African American quilt. All of about 5 seconds each (couldnt they have done a quilters version of the film leave out the actors keep in the quilts).

Im sure you can come up with loads.

lots of love

Francesxx

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,424
Points 72,050
Karla replied on Wed, May 22 2013 9:13 AM

Until I started quilting, I never noticed the quilts in TV shows or movies, but now even DH notices them.  Since I don't watch much TV, DH always call to me to show me a quilt on a show he is watching.  There are many of them in the old western movies and TV shows, but most are just a quick shot and I haven't tried to identify the blocks.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Wed, May 22 2013 10:13 AM

I know I've seen them just didn't think t much about it ,but now I'm going to start paying alittle mire attention. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,473
Points 47,580
Frances replied on Wed, May 22 2013 10:17 AM

Barbara,

With me its normally why i watch a film again, to get a better look at the quilt I had noticed both Little house on the Prarie and the Waltons have some nice quilts in.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Thu, May 23 2013 12:14 PM

Frances

I was going to say that I know I have seen quilts on Little House on the Prairie and the Waltons.  I am pretty sure there were quilts in Gone With the Wind.   I will definitely have to pay more attention...LOL

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,798
Points 352,042
Kris replied on Thu, May 23 2013 1:02 PM

The movie "From Time to Time" features the Lucy Boston "Patchwork of the Crosses" quilt. It stars Maggie Smith. In one scene her character is working on the quilt. I think there is also another with it on the boy's bed.

This quilt is made with elongated hexagons. Fun for all you EPP fans.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,798
Points 352,042
Kris replied on Thu, May 23 2013 1:07 PM

Someone catalogued a bunch of quilts in movies here.

Nana,

I've watched GWTW over 30 times and I couldn't tell you if I saw any quilts. LOL. Good reason to watch it again.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Thu, May 23 2013 1:12 PM

Kris

It is my fav movie and have watched so many times I have forgotten.   I assume there were quilts somewhere in the movie...LOL>   I guess I will have to watch again and pay closer attention to the actual set.....LOL

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,473
Points 47,580
Frances replied on Thu, May 23 2013 1:19 PM

Thank you very much Kris,

I definately need to watch more movies, most of those listed i hadnt seen.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,473
Points 47,580
Frances replied on Thu, May 23 2013 1:22 PM

Nana,

I know there are lots in the Waltons, for a family who only seemed to have one set of clothes they sure seemed to have lots of quilts, in one of the Waltons made for TV movies, the one where John boy gets married they are all sitting around quilting on a Double wedding ring.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,798
Points 352,042
Kris replied on Fri, May 24 2013 12:41 AM

Nana:
It is my fav movie and have watched so many times I have forgotten.

My favorite as well. I first borrowed the book from the library in high school. I kept borrowing it so they gave it to me. The movie was the first DVD I bought after having watched it every year on TNT. This weekend I will be on the couch with this one.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Mon, Jun 10 2013 8:00 AM

Interesting list, Kris.

Frances, I've never seen "How to Make an American Quilt."  Is it good?  I'll have to see if Netflix has the DVD available.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,473
Points 47,580
Frances replied on Mon, Jun 10 2013 8:22 AM

MNnancy:

Interesting list, Kris.

Frances, I've never seen "How to Make an American Quilt."  Is it good?  I'll have to see if Netflix has the DVD available.

Nancy,

Story wise i wasnt really impressed but quilt wise i was.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,005

Quilts pop out at me too on tv and movies.  Sometimes I rewind just to see the quilt again.  I was also unimpressed with How to Make an American quilt but the quilt was interesting.  I have seen GWTW a lot and can only remember Mammy's red taffeta petticoat.  Seems like they would have shots of a quilt or two.  Also Westerns, and Western Mini series, like the Love Comes Softly and Lonesome Dove should have them peppered through out them.

But for right at the moment for me it is From Time to Time and Maggie Smith sewing on Lucy Bostons Patchwork of the Crosses.

MelodyP

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,473
Points 47,580
Frances replied on Mon, Jun 10 2013 10:18 AM

Nancy,

Also far better than the film is the book which goes with the film about how they made the quilts for the film far more interesting.

lots of lovve

Francesxx

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use