Top 10 Posters

Questions for everyone!! NEWBIES Included!!!

Page 2 of 4 (58 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 57 Replies | 15 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,838
Points 366,217
Kris replied on Tue, Feb 16 2010 5:43 PM

Lilian:
Kris:

Thread painting is easy and so much fun.  (Even a caveman can do it.)  :):) Try doing a few small things first (like an apple, a peach, a leaf), and expand from there.  Practice, practice.

Lilian

Thanks for the encouragement Lilian. I've never tried. It just looks complicated. When I see thread painting I think it's beautiful and wish I could do it. Some day I will.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Feb 16 2010 8:52 PM

1. As a quilter, I wish I could...
        ...create something so unique I'd be proud to enter it in a show

2. My favorite part of quilting is...
        ...picking out the perfect fabrics for a pattern I love and am excited about

3. If you saw my stash, you would notice...
        ...that I have trouble deciding how to organize it by color since so many of my fabrics are multicolored

4. I find myself drawn to...
        ...beautiful garden patterns - flowers, leaves, butterflies, dragonflies, etc.

5. My favorite colors are... nearly every color...because...
         ...every color goes with something

6. Colors I rarely use are... pink and white...because...
         ...they wouldn't go with any of the wall colors in our home

7. I challenge myself by...
         ...trying to machine quilt with a DSM

8. My favorite quilt I've made is... my first full size....because...
          ....I surprised myself with how well it turned out

9. Outside of quilting, one wonderful thing about me is...
          ....I am a loyal friend
         A favorite short verse -  "Make new friends, but keep the old.  One is silver and the other gold."

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Not Ranked
Posts 38
Points 1,080

1. As a quilter, I wish I could...
        ...machine quilt.  It's got to be so much quicker than hand quilting.

2. My favorite part of quilting is...
        ...Finding fabrics and the perfect pattern to put them in.

3. If you saw my stash, you would notice...
        ...That I am a slob.  They're washed and folded, but it ain't pretty.

4. I find myself drawn to...
        ...hand quilting.  There's something about the repetition that just relaxes me.

5. My favorite colors are... usually batiks...because...
         ...I like the variations

6. Colors I rarely use are... bright ones...because...
         ...they never look good to me when I use them.  When others use them they look fabulous.

7. I challenge myself by...
         ...trying a pattern or technique I've never used before.  And, I still hate curves.

8. My favorite quilt I've made is... Turtle Trails....because...
          ....a turtle is an animal with which I can identify.  He can be out exploring one minute, and then closed up in his hidey hole the next.

9. Outside of quilting, one wonderful thing about me is...
          ....I'm just me.

More later,

Huntsville, AL

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,473
Points 24,140

1. As a quilter, I wish I could....Machine quilt so I could finish all my quilt tops.

2. My favorite part of quilting is.....finishing a quilt so I can start on the next one.

3. If you saw my stash, you would notice.....that I have enough to open my own shop!!

4. I find myself drawn to....traditional quilt patterns.

5. My favorite colors are...orange...because...I just love orange, and I cannot resist buying every old orange quilt I run into.

6. Colors I rarely use are...batiks....I just am not fond of batiks.

7. I challenge myself by...trying techniques that I don't like, such as paper piecing, I hate paper piecing.

8. My favorite quilt I've made is....my Autumn Splendor quilt, because I took the paper piecing pattern and coverted it into templates and shared it with our guild.

9. Outside of quilting, one wonderful thing about me is...I have become a strong independent woman since the death of my husband. I used to be fairly dependent on him, now I can stand on my own two feet.

Elaine Phillips, Kansas

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,214
Points 111,985
Linny t replied on Wed, Feb 17 2010 10:35 PM

1. As a quilter, I wish I could...quilt full time.

2. My favorite part of quilting is...the creative process in all of it.

3. If you saw my stash, you would notice...how badly I need a bigger sewing room.

4. I find myself drawn to...FABRIC

5. My favorite colors are... because...cool colors...blues, greens, some purples

6. Colors I rarely use are... because...I can't think of one.

7. I challenge myself by...trying new things and figuring out better ways to accomplish a thing.

8. My favorite quilt I've made is... because...my first two, because they were for my 2 daughters when they were still little. 

9. Outside of quilting, one wonderful thing about me is...My love for God and my love for people.  I am also a fairly good gardener. 

This was really fun.  Thanks, SpiceGlider. 

Linny T

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 335
Points 11,972

1. As a quilter, I wish I could do learn to do beautiful free-motion quilting without all the practice work. I’m getting better, but it’s sometimes frustrating.

2. My favorite part of quilting is getting an idea, designing a piece, and having it all come together. A close second is the fabric.

3. If you saw my stash, you would notice that it is really not very much fabric.

4. I find myself drawn to patterns with traditional blocks with a twist.—A contemporary fabric, or different placement, something new.

5. My favorite colors are...southwest colors, rust, brown, golden, and turquoise because that’s what is around me, and it’s around me because I love it.

6. Colors I rarely use are pastels, because they just don’t appeal to me. A little goes a long way, mainly to show off other colors.

7. I challenge myself by developing my skills in some way with every quilt.

8. My favorite quilt I've made is my Summer Prickly Pear because it was a real stretch. It was my own design, and the prickles were actually fun to stitch. I couldn’t get the hang of free-motion, so it was simulated free-motion, with the feed dogs up. It was the first quilt I entered in a show, the Santa Fe Quilt Fiesta, and it won an honorable mention. (Picture attached)

9. Outside of quilting, one wonderful thing about me is that I am unflappable. I can almost always handle whatever challenges come my way, and stay calm about them, even if I can’t fix everything.

Happy quilting, everyone!

Judy J.

Nambe, New Mexico

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Fri, Feb 19 2010 10:05 AM

Judy J.

Your prickly pear is beautiful.  Congratulations on the honorable mention in the quilt show.  Beautiful design.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,421
Points 415,844
gini replied on Fri, Feb 19 2010 10:29 AM

judy  nice cactus.   love your clors.  gini

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 200
Points 3,280
Lilian replied on Fri, Feb 19 2010 12:14 PM

Elaine:

Some of your responses are similar to my own views--I'm not too fond of batiks either, and I hate paper piecing although I know that it makes good points. :)  But, I was most interested in your number 9, and congratulate you for your courage to move on and become independent.

My former mother-in-law, now deceased, was a lovely, caring wife and mother.  She was married for probably 50 years or more to the same man and they were truly a loving and very happy dependent couple.  When he died, she was close to 80 and, of course devastated.  But, she got out and learned how to drive and do so many other things that surprised herself and all of us.  She drove all over the place too, sometimes to our consternation. :):)  She was also a wonderful hand-quilter, although I didn't know anything about quilting until 2004.  But I still have the quilt she made for me (she made three others for my children) on my bed, and I'm amazed at the work she did in such a treasure now that I know what was involved. 

So congratulations again on your strength and willingness to become independent and  for taking control of your life.  Having been there done that, it's a liberating feeling to realize that we are responsible for who we are, what we do, and for what we become. 

I'm proud of you; hang in there and keep on quilting.

Lilian

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,838
Points 366,217
Kris replied on Fri, Feb 19 2010 11:34 PM

Judy J,

your prickly pear quilt is lovely. I like the name.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 144
Points 1,930

1. As a quilter, I wish I could...hand quilt better

2. My favorite part of quilting is...getting material

3. If you saw my stash, you would notice...i am messy....messsssy....messssssssssssssy

4. I find myself drawn to...autumn colors

5. My favorite colors are... pinks because...im girlie

6. Colors I rarely use are...black  because...it's depressing.

7. I challenge myself by...seeing how many cat patterns I can find.

8. My favorite quilt I've made is...butterfly quilt  because...it was my first quilt and I made it with a broken wrist.

9. Outside of quilting, one wonderful thing about me is...I can't think of anything wonderful. Talented maybe but wonderful? Not sure I get the question. I make doggie quilts and kitty quilts for the animal shelters. Does that count? That's not really wonderful just needed. I will have to think on the wonderful part......I just don't think there is anything wonderful about me.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Mar 3 2010 9:52 PM

Priscilla

I bet the people that know you best could tell you something that is wonderful about you. Such as the quilts donated to the animal shelters...I bet it is done not only because they are needed but because you are a caring person who doesn't like to see animals abused and abandoned and want to help take care of them in one of the few ways you have available.   So I see that you are a caring and empathetic person....at least as far as animals go and I bet it goes much farther than just animal.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Posts 38
Points 1,080

I'm sure the people that take care of those kitties and doggies would disagree.  Have you ever seen a cat in a cage with no towel or blanket?  Have you seen one with a blanket?  Even if they just hide underneath it, they feel a little safer and a little warmer.  And, the handmade things I've seen come through the humane society where I volunteer have brought us some joy.  They always stop me in my tracks for a closer look.  it's nice to see something made just for the animals instead of a ratty old towel nobody wants anymore.  

So, doggie and kitty quilts definitely qualify as wonderful.  Thank you from all the animals that you have comforted through your "fabric hugs".  

More later,

Huntsville, AL

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,812
Points 43,714
Eileen replied on Thu, Mar 4 2010 8:44 PM

Had to think about this for a while...

COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING SENTENCES:

1. As a quilter, I wish I could... spend more time working on quilts & less time at work (OK, this was an easy answer).

2. My favorite part of quilting is... completing a project and then seeing the recipient’s face when I give them a quilt.

3. If you saw my stash, you would notice... tons of greens, browns, tans, beiges… and all the fabric is organized by color or theme (Christmas, dogs & cats, Asian prints...).

4. I find myself drawn to... other people who quilt & sew – they “get it” and we can talk about a creative common interest, bounce around ideas, etc.

5. My favorite colors are... greens & browns because... I think because they are natural, calming colors.

6. Colors I rarely use are... brights, especially oranges because... I’m not a “loud” person & I think of orange as a “loud” color (guess I like neutrals).

7. I challenge myself by... actually, I don’t do this enough!

8. My favorite quilt I've made is... a southwest sampler I did for DH and I because... despite my lack of skills or experience at the time, I finished it and it turned out better than I expected.

9. Outside of quilting, one wonderful thing about me is... I love animals. If I could create my dream job it would be to work in a business that let me combine my love of animals & quilting – haven’t figured out how to do that without having fur all over the fabric! LOL

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 278
Points 5,200
kim replied on Sun, Mar 28 2010 9:49 AM

I am a fairly new quilter, I have only been at it for 2 years but I would love throw in my 2 cents!

COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING SENTENCES:

1. As a quilter, I wish I could...     Understand patterns easier and have more patience.

2. My favorite part of quilting is...     Picking out the pattern and fabrics. It is the possibilities that I find most exciting.

3. If you saw my stash, you would notice...    How small it is LOL.  I don't keep a fabric stash as my sewing space is my dining room.

4. I find myself drawn to...     Bright colors and complicated patterns that I can't complete yet.

5. My favorite colors are...   Bright red and royal blue because...   I love quilts that grab your attention. I also love batiks.

6. Colors I rarely use are... Orange    because...  I don't know I havn't really thought about it.  I do have a halloween quilt I am going to be working on soon.

7. I challenge myself by...   Trying something different with every quilt I make.

8. My favorite quilt I've made is...    My "Falling Leaves" quilt   because...  I made it using 4 diffent blue batiks  for water and red, green, brown and golden yellow for the leaves. It was my first attempt at free motion quilting and I just love the colors and how it turned out.

9. Outside of quilting, one wonderful thing about me is...  I have a sense of humor.

Page 2 of 4 (58 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use