Top 10 Posters

Questions for everyone!! NEWBIES Included!!!

Page 1 of 4 (58 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 57 Replies | 15 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 38
Points 1,080
SpiceGlider Posted: Mon, Feb 15 2010 8:04 PM

Hi Everyone,

I don't know if you've seen the Feb/Mar 2010 issue of Quilters Newsletter, but there is an article in by Holly Hassett.  She says "Taking the time to reflect on your journey as a quiltmaker will help you recognize both technical and creative growth." 

She suggests 5 exercises "to explore your quilting self".

I thought one of them would be nice to do here, and see what some of the answers would be.  Answer any that you want to.  Don't feel that you need to answer all of them. 

Come on, Newbies!!  I want to hear from you, too.  I'm a Newbie myself, and I'm already seeing trends in my stashes and pattern selections.

COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING SENTENCES:

1. As a quilter, I wish I could...

2. My favorite part of quilting is...

3. If you saw my stash, you would notice...

4. I find myself drawn to...

5. My favorite colors are... because...

6. Colors I rarely use are... because...

7. I challenge myself by...

8. My favorite quilt I've made is... because...

9. Outside of quilting, one wonderful thing about me is...

Come on folks!  I want answers!!! 

I'll post mine later.

Have fun with it.

More later,

Huntsville, AL

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,932
Points 233,952
Thea replied on Mon, Feb 15 2010 8:29 PM

1.  As a quilter, I wish I could - have the skills to do a beautiful job finishing my quilts.

2.  My favorite part of quilting is the beginning...figuring out what I am going to make and buying or rummaging through my stash for the fabrics or things I need.

3.  If you saw my stash, you would notice i have more then 10 quilters need.

4.  I find myself draw to anything related to quilting - I am a self proclaimed quiltoholic...

5.  My favorite colors are blue and yellows....not sure why just love those 2 colors

6.  Colors I rarely use are greens - not sure why either.

7.  I challenge myself to do the absolute best job I can

8.  My favorite quilt I've made is my Moondance quilt because It inspired me.

9.  Out side of quilting, one wonderful thing about me is... I think I am fun to be with...or my loyalty to my God, family and friends.. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Mon, Feb 15 2010 8:53 PM

1. As a quilter I wish I could .... interest others in my craft.

2. My favorite part of quilting is.... visualizing the quilt and then trying to bring that vision to fruition.

3. If you saw my stash you would notice.... that I sometimes have a very eclectic choice in fabrics.

4. I find myself drawn to.... the "old fashioned" quilt patterns.

5. My favorite colors are...  purple and green...because... they make me happy and bring me joy.

6. Colors I rarely use are... yellow and orange... because... I am really not sure.

7. I challenge myself by... trying to learn new skills and techniques.

8. My favorite quilt I made is.... I love them all but I guess my favorite is the Tinkerbell quilt that I made my granddaughter... because...of the happiness it brought to her.

9. Outside of quilting one wonderful thing about me is ...  my desire to help others and my faith in God.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185
Judy Iliff replied on Mon, Feb 15 2010 10:16 PM

1. As a quilter, I wish I could... "hear" how the quilt wants to be quilted

2. My favorite part of quilting is... the piecing.

3. If you saw my stash, you would notice... it's organized according to the color wheel

4. I find myself drawn to... batiks

5. My favorite colors are...  greens and purples because... I like greens and purples. ;-)

6. Colors I rarely use are... because... I don't ever avoid any color.

7. I challenge myself by... trying new techniques

8. My favorite quilt I've made is... Gentle Spring flannel quilt  because... it brought so much pleasure to my friend who was going through breast cancer treatment.

9. Outside of quilting, one wonderful thing about me is... I love to read.

PS: Karen, you didn't post answers to your own questions!

Gillette, WY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,949
gini replied on Mon, Feb 15 2010 11:09 PM

1. As a quilter, I wish I could...  find more time

2. My favorite part of quilting is... where do i start?   picking fabric. applique. piecing, helping other  quitlers, gifting  quilts ( i love to surprise someone with a quilt).   i love the entire process. 

3. If you saw my stash, you would notice...that there is more fabric there than can be used up in ten lifetimes.  

4. I find myself drawn to...applique

5. My favorite colors are... because... red and orange, but i really like all the others, too.  i must be drawn to them because i'm a leo.

6. Colors I rarely use are... because... i can't think of a color i don't use

7. I challenge myself by... trying more intricate patterns

8. My favorite quilt I've made is... because...there is no way to pick.  i love all my babies

9. Outside of quilting, one wonderful thing about me is...i can keep a secret, a rare trait in my family.    gini

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 65,998
Jeanine replied on Mon, Feb 15 2010 11:47 PM

1. As a quilter, I wish I could...quit work and buy a long-arm and quilt, design quilts, and write a book.

2. My favorite part of quilting is...selecting fabrics  for the quilts

3. If you saw my stash, you would notice...I have a LOT OF IT!!

4. I find myself drawn to...helping others learn to quilt and building relationships with other quilters

5. My favorite colors are..brights. because...they are just fun

6. Colors I rarely use are..yellow/peach. because...they just don't speak to me.

7. I challenge myself by...always finding new ways to use the donated fabric I get for the quilt ministry.

8. My favorite quilt I've made is..my daughter's wedding quilt. because... It is the most challenging quilt I've ever done and it is for my only daughter and it brings out a lot of emotions in me.  The second quilt is my "Sew Kitty" quilt I made for myself that has very bright colors and kitties playing with sewing stuff.

9. Outside of quilting, one wonderful thing about me is...I know what is important (God, family, friends).

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 65,998
Jeanine replied on Mon, Feb 15 2010 11:53 PM

Jeanine:
8. My favorite quilt I've made is..my daughter's wedding quilt. because... It is the most challenging quilt I've ever done and it is for my only daughter and it brings out a lot of emotions in me. 

And before anyone mentions this, I know I haven't actually FINISHED this quilt but it is already my favorite.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,813
Points 352,312
Kris replied on Mon, Feb 15 2010 11:56 PM

1. As a quilter, I wish I could...free motion quilt, thread paint

2. My favorite part of quilting is...designing and piecing

3. If you saw my stash, you would notice...I'm a fabriholic

4. I find myself drawn to...quiltshops and anything quilt related (including people)

5. My favorite colour is... blue because...it makes me feel good

6. Colors I rarely use are...orange and grey because...not sure why but there's very little in my stash

7. I challenge myself by...jumping in with both feet even when I'm unsure about techniques

8. My favorite quilt I've made is...my first because...it set me on this path

9. Outside of quilting, one wonderful thing about me is...I'm fiercely loyal to my friends

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 200
Points 3,280
Lilian replied on Tue, Feb 16 2010 12:35 AM

Don't think I'm a 'newbie' anymore, but I my sister introduced me to quilting in 2004.  Now, after having made close to 300 quilts, table toppers, wall hangings, art quilts, table runners, etc. :

1. As a quilter,  I will soon be purchasing a long-arm machine (after research) to do a better job in quilting larger quilts.

2. My favorite part of quilting is envisioning a design and making the quilt. 

3. If you saw my stash, you would notice that all of my fabrics are washed, folded, and neatly arranged in shelves lining my quilt studio, and that I have two works in progress but  no UFOs. 

4. I find myself drawn to threads (800 spools in racks on one of my walls); rulers (also on half a wall); and all kinds of quilt needles and notions.

5. My favorite colors are deep blacks, browns, purples, and blues because they set off/contrast with lighter colors beautifully, and Asian fabrics.

6. Colors I rarely use are pink and pea green, because I just don't like those colors.

7. I challenge myself by enjoying this hobby because it goes completely against my former profession, but I love doing it and can be considered a quiltaholic.

8. My favorite quilts are all the ones I've made for my family, friends, my cat, and myself because they are all from my heart..

9. Outside of quilting, wonderful things about me are:  I am completely healthy and happy with my life (my talents, my children,  my independence), and self-sufficiency to do whatever I want.  I'm an excellent cook.  I also play killer Scrabble and love my house, my car, and my Cannondale.

Lilian

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 823
Points 12,720

1. As a quilter, I wish I could... Not be so hard on myself when I make mistakes and because I am slow

2. My favorite part of quilting is...there is always something new to learn and the fact that quilters share advice so generously

3. If you saw my stash, you would notice...I need more room

4. I find myself drawn to...

5. My favorite colors are... because...I love all colors

6. Colors I rarely use are... because... Not so much colors as what I call dull muddy shades of colors

7. I challenge myself by...I am determined to learn hand and machine quilting on a DSM and I am very stubborn about learning

8. My favorite quilt I've made is... because...My first because it started me off and made me love quilting.

9. Outside of quilting, one wonderful thing about me is...Everyone tells me I am very kind and I attract animals like Snow White

Hampshire, England

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 823
Points 12,720

Lilian:

9. Outside of quilting, wonderful things about me are:  I am completely healthy and happy with my life (my talents, my children,  my independence), and self-sufficiency to do whatever I want.  I'm an excellent cook.  I also play killer Scrabble and love my house, my car, and my Cannondale.

Lilian

Lilian what is a Cannondale?

Hampshire, England

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 205
Points 3,475
Tink922 replied on Tue, Feb 16 2010 8:05 AM
1. As a quilter, I wish I could...hand quilt 2. My favorite part of quilting is...picking out fabric 3. If you saw my stash, you would notice...I keep it organized by color 4. I find myself drawn to...bright colors 5. My favorite colors are... blues because... I find them soothing 6. Colors I rarely use are... black because... I can always find a coordinating dark color to make the other colors pop 7. I challenge myself by...going out of 'the easy zone' when looking for new patterns 8. My favorite quilt I've made is... the baby quilt I'm working on now, because...the frog prints are fun. 9. Outside of quilting, one wonderful thing about me is... I'm not so sure how 'wonderful' it is, but I could become a 'Craft Hermit'

North Central Ohio

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Tue, Feb 16 2010 10:57 AM

Jay-Marie

A Cannondale is a brand of bicylce.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 200
Points 3,280
Lilian replied on Tue, Feb 16 2010 11:41 AM

Thanks for reading, Jay-Marie (pretty name). 

Cannondale - brand name for my 21-speed bike.  First bike I ever had and bought it for myself at age 55.  :):)

Lilian

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 200
Points 3,280
Lilian replied on Tue, Feb 16 2010 11:49 AM

Kris:

Thread painting is easy and so much fun.  (Even a caveman can do it.)  :):) Try doing a few small things first (like an apple, a peach, a leaf), and expand from there.  Practice, practice.

Lilian

• | Post Points: 50
Page 1 of 4 (58 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use