Top 10 Posters

How can I figure out what to charge someone for hand quilting?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 55
Decoratenu posted on Thu, May 16 2013 12:42 PM

I belong to a hand quilting group & a friend has asked us to hand quilt a quilt for her. This is the first time in 10 years that this has happened, as we normally just go around w/in our own group. 

The top, dating from the 1940's, is in pretty good condition (mostly hand-pieced by a deceased relative), and she felt would be more 'authentic' if it was hand quilted.  She has provided the backing & batting, but we don't where to begin when it comes to charging her for quilting.  The quilting is fairly simple - 2 simple motifs & straight-line near-the ditch.  We are tracking how many hours each of us in putting in on it; we meet one day each week.  We want to be fair to everyone involved, but are having trouble coming up w/ a fair way to charge her. 

Any suggestions?  Thanks for any help! 

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
Female
411 Posts
Points 8,995
Pamela replied on Sun, May 19 2013 4:11 PM

I have heard of different ways to charge for hand quilting. Some charge by the quilt size, say 2-4 cents per inch. Others may charge by the number of yards of thread. Spools list the yards on the package, so the number of spools used can be calculated with the price per yard. The average price I've heard is $1.50 per yard. You may want to determine a cost based on the quilt size. Keep in mind what machine quilting services charge for the different types of quilting - pantographs, free-hand designs, or heirloom quilting. In my opinion, hand quilting should command a higher price, more in the range of heirloom machine quilting. The density of the quilting will make a difference in how much you charge, which is taken into account when you charge by the yard of thread. Denser quilting uses more thread.

If you Google hand quilting services, you will find some more examples to use for making a decision on what your group wants to charge.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use