Big Stitch Quilting...yay or nay?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
331 Posts
Points 5,860
Jenia posted on Thu, May 16 2013 9:52 AM

It seems like everyone is concentrated on making smaller tinier stitching and then I read about big stitch quilting.

Can this just be a method for those who find it difficult to tiny stitch - I may be in that category, I don't know yet. 

The quilts I have done are embroidered so they are not actually "quilted" in the same manner as I am trying to learn now.

From the pictures I have seen, I actually like both, big and little stitching on the quilts.  As we have determined its the consistency and uniform stitching that makes all the difference. 

But, if I actually like big stitching do I really need to focus on trying to tiny stitch?

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
Female
477 Posts
Points 7,620
Julienne replied on Thu, May 16 2013 10:07 AM

Jenia,

I think that if you want to try or have been doing big stitching and like it, then do it. We do not have to conform to any one standard. We are all here to have fun and enjoy ourselves and offer advice as needed.   If you so choose to do tiny stitching then go ahead.

How have your quilts turned out with big stitches? Do you have any pics so we can see your work?

But like you said it is consistency and uniform stitching that makes the difference.

Julienne - Mid Mo

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
331 Posts
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Thu, May 16 2013 10:21 AM

Here's an example of an embroidered quilt of mine.  It's done with back stitching.  I don't have a photo of the back but the stitches are uniform and neat and people have commented that it looks good. 

Even my Granny who makes the tiniest little neat stitches loved it.  It was her top that I finished.

522161.aspx

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
331 Posts
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Thu, May 16 2013 10:28 AM

Here's a better example of what the back side of embroidery looks like.

See the white circle on the white background.  The other side was backstitched with with embroidery floss and this is what the other side looks like.  The yellow is what the embroidery looks like on the front side.

522164.aspx

Top 150 Contributor
Female
477 Posts
Points 7,620
Julienne replied on Thu, May 16 2013 10:29 AM

Jenia:

Here's an example of an embroidered quilt of mine.  It's done with back stitching.  I don't have a photo of the back but the stitches are uniform and neat and people have commented that it looks good. 

Even my Granny who makes the tiniest little neat stitches loved it.  It was her top that I finished.

522161.aspx

That is soooo pretty.  I think you did a fantastic job. I think it is up to you to choose which way you want to Stitch. Don't conform because you think you have too. There are many styles of quilting out there. Go with the one you love the most.

Julienne - Mid Mo

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
477 Posts
Points 7,620
Julienne replied on Thu, May 16 2013 10:31 AM

This one is also very pretty!!!

Julienne - Mid Mo

Top 10 Contributor
Female
25,036 Posts
Points 369,052
Kris replied on Thu, May 16 2013 6:52 PM

Jenia,

I like both. Some quilts just ask for big stitches while others may benefit from fine stitches. 

Jenia:
But, if I actually like big stitching do I really need to focus on trying to tiny stitch?

Do what's pleasing to you. We all have favourite techniques. It wouldn't hurt to have the skill to do both well but focus on what makes you happy.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Kris:
It wouldn't hurt to have the skill to do both well but focus on what makes you happy.

I agree with Kris, it is your quilt and there are no quilt police (there are some who think they are - not on this site - I just ignore them) so do what pleases you.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 200 Contributor
Female
331 Posts
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Fri, May 17 2013 1:59 PM

Hey, thank you all for your comments.  I truly appreciate them all.

My husband thinks I should continue embroidering quilts, he says why fix something that's not broken.  Why try something new when everything has turned out perfectly fine so far.

I think I'm ready to move on and try normal quilting. Especially since I have an art quilt coming up and I think embroidery will be too dark and too large for this item.

I will probably try little stitching; however I'm not going to get too upset if they turn out not so tiny after all.  As long as I can keep everything consistent with this (new to me) stitch I will be happy. 

Top 150 Contributor
Female
426 Posts
Points 9,220
Pamela replied on Sun, May 19 2013 3:46 PM

Jenia:
Can this just be a method for those who find it difficult to tiny stitch

Traditional quilting has differing sizes of stitches, depending upon the time and ability of the quilter. More experienced quilters were able to make smaller stitches. Big stitching is often associated with primitive style quilts. The terminology is coming back into vogue in the Modern quilt movement, not necessarily because individuals find it difficult to make tiny stitches, but because it fits with the trend.

I would suggest that you don't have to make really tiny stitches to hand quilt. The quilting should be consistent with the quilt type. If you are making a primitive style quilt, large stitches would be appropriate. A modern quilt may use big stitching to accentuate the design. The most important aspect of hand quilting is making consistent size stitches that are evenly spaced, no matter how tiny or big they are.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use