Top 10 Posters

Searching for iron

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
2,918 Posts
Points 41,020
ls2116 posted on Mon, May 13 2013 11:16 PM

I guess I need a new iron the one i used i had gotten from thrift store and the last time I was sewing i had turned the temperature dohickey down but there was no on off switch just the auto off blinking light.  well about five days later went to move it and nearly singedd my fingers.  It had been still heating.  So if any of you out there can recommend a full size iron with a on off switch let me know which kind?

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,837 Posts
Points 248,889

Is, I like you buy mine used a thrift stores ,My last two were older Rowentas and I love them , I wouldn't trade them for the world. I have heard so many good comments on many irons  that its hard to tell ,but I say stick with an iron that is not terribly expensive , I have tried the higher priced irons and they just never seam to last , Thea likes the Sharp Irons , others have tried the black and decker ,and others the General Electric, any way good luck in your search .

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
405 Posts
Points 6,895

I just recently bought my first new iron in about 35 years.  I bought an inexpensive Black and Decker at WalMart and I love it.  When it is plugged in, it is on and the light flashes.  When the iron it sitting up on it's "heel" the heat is off and the iron is cool.  To heat it up, just lay it flat on the board and it will immediately start heating.  I love it and I never worry about my DGD getting burned she wanders around my sewing room.  I've had it about two months and have absolutely no complaints

Bonner Springs, Kansas

Not Ranked
9 Posts
Points 100

Reliable is a very good brand.  Many of them come with both an automatic shut-off and a dial that can be used to physically shut it down.

Top 75 Contributor
1,368 Posts
Points 19,455
safrmaz replied on Tue, May 14 2013 12:37 PM

I'm in the same boat as you.  My Rowenta started leaking last week and I returned it to Bed Bath and Beyond.  I had it almost a year.  This was my 4th Rowenta!!  The first 2 were top of the line models at the time and they both shorted out.  I gave up on Rowenta for a while and  bought a Black & Decker which ended up corroding inside and began staining my clothes and fabrics.  I bought another Rowenta and it leaked after several months.  The most recent one was a different Rowenta model to replace #3 and it began leaking, too.  

I bought only the Rowentas that were made in Germany.  I like my irons to be 1800 watts because they get hotter and do a better job of ironing with less effort.  I have come to the conclusion that any iron that I put water into will have the same problems eventually depending on how often I use it.  I faithfully follow the manufacturer's instructions regarding the type of water and it doesn't seem to matter.

Right now I'm using a Shark that I bought at Costco for $13.  I bought it for fusing so I wouldn't have to use my expensive iron and risk messing up the sole plate.   It's only 1500 watts and it requires more effort on my part to get a nice press.   It's going to drive me crazy soon because my husband has to wear white dress shirts to work and this iron doesn't have the weight or the heat to do a nice job.

If anyone can suggest a good 1800 watt iron I'm listening :)

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
10 Posts
Points 230
alane replied on Tue, May 14 2013 8:38 PM

Rowenta is by far my favorite. I have shelled out the money to get a better one than what I can buy in the average housewares department because those always either leak or don't get hot enough. I have one that has the base that you fill with water so it lasts a long time. This is great for steaming my prewashed fabrics as well as my finished quilt blocks. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
2,918 Posts
Points 41,020
ls2116 replied on Tue, May 14 2013 10:39 PM

I bought two sunbeams today but i'm still deciding I guess its best to have a couple irons one for all the gluey messy projects and one for the rest.  i'm gonna check out one at kohls tomorrow.

Quilting My Rainbow

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use