Bleeding fabrics

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 13 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
16 Posts
Points 365
Shirley posted on Mon, May 13 2013 3:48 PM

Is anybody out there an expert on how to rescue a quilt where one of the fabrics has bled?  I rescued a block once where some appliqued green leaves bled onto the cream background - soaked it overnight in Clorox 2 and the green went away.  But what about when the quilt is already finished?  Has anyone come up with an approach that works - or at least doesn't do any damage when you try it?  I  always prewash fabrics, but occasionally they bleed anyway. 

Shirley

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,940 Posts
Points 125,340

Shirley:
Is anybody out there an expert on how to rescue a quilt where one of the fabrics has bled? 

Shirley, some folks swear by the Shout Color Catcher sheets. I haven't tried them yet but others have posted they do work.

Good luck

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

As much as I love those Color Catcher sheets, I suspect they won't work to remove color that has already bled. 

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

I agree with Nancy, if it has already bled I don't think the color catchers will work and I'm afraid some of the fixes may make things worse. I hope someone will come along with a great suggestion. :(

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 100 Contributor
Female
911 Posts
Points 17,245

Here's a possible help from yahoo answers:  http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090829154058AAke5HE

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
911 Posts
Points 17,245
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,544 Posts
Points 417,019
gini replied on Mon, May 13 2013 10:33 PM

Shirley, along with washing my fabrics, I test them for colorfastness before drying.    Rub a white dishrag or piece of muslin on the fabric to test it.

you can try a very dilute bleach solution and paint it on the areas, make sure you wash it all out.

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
2,919 Posts
Points 41,040
ls2116 replied on Mon, May 13 2013 10:55 PM

I'm still searching for the solution myself.

Quilting My Rainbow

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 55

Shirley, If a bleed-over stain will not come out, you could try to fill that area with some fancy stitches where bleed-over has occurred or replace the offending fabric portion of the applique.  I know a lady who was so upset when one of her quilts bled, that she took out all the blocks (including the quilting) that bled -- a real pain -- don't know that I'd ever do that!  But all of her quilts were true heirlooms, worthy of blue ribbons & she felt her reputation was 'on the line'.   Another option might be fabric painting.  I prefer to test fabrics before using them (especially since we're getting fabrics from so many unknown sources) & those bleeder fabrics are the only ones I pre-wash to set-in the color (with Retayne or white vinegar).  I've tried a few drops of peroxide on the offending stain & if not removed, follow up with a thin paste of Oxi-Clean (water & Oxi-Clean powder) to clean up some bleed-over, careful not to get it on other areas, then rinse after 30 minutes.  Best policy: test fabrics (even after a quilt is made), wash in cold water & never dry w/ heat if you have bleed-over stains. 

Not Ranked
Female
16 Posts
Points 365
Shirley replied on Fri, May 17 2013 12:17 PM

Thanks to everyone for offering your suggestions. Obviously the best thing is to determine whether fabric will bleed ahead of time.  But if you didn't - or thought your prewashing was good enough and it wasn't - my question was about what to do next.  Especially if you are not willing to take out the quilting, take the quilt apart and replace the offending pieces.

I know about Synthrapol and Retayne but have never used them.  Does anyone have personal experience?  The warnings are so strong I am almost afraid to try them, and I don't have any of the fabric left to run a test.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,937 Posts
Points 33,710
Roxana replied on Fri, May 17 2013 12:23 PM

Shirley:

I know about Synthrapol and Retayne but have never used them.  Does anyone have personal experience?  The warnings are so strong I am almost afraid to try them, and I don't have any of the fabric left to run a test.

I'm also interested in knowing about these products. I've also heard something about soaking in a vinegar mixture. Does anyone know anything about that?
Thanks in advance!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
911 Posts
Points 17,245

I found this doing a google search. It explains when and how to use retayne and synthrapol. 

http://www.prochemicalanddye.com/home.php?cat=323.  

On another site that I belong, someone commented that synthrapol can fade colors.     

Not Ranked
Female
16 Posts
Points 365

Thanks, Carol.  Excellent suggestion. I went to the site and printed out the instructions.  I have decided that, for future information I am going to run some tests using these products and see what I can determine about their use -- unless I find a web site where someone else has already done it.  I will report back once I know something.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,544 Posts
Points 417,019
gini replied on Sat, May 18 2013 1:33 PM

i thought retayne and sythropol were agents to set color, not remove them.   i have both sitting in the toxic chemical room at home.  once i started reading up on them, i decided they were best left in the bottles. they work very well. 

if i can't get the color to rinse out, i'll try vinegar and salt. if they still bleed, they go in a dark quilt, quickly, so i don't forget and use them in applique.

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use