Top 10 Posters

Venetian Dreams Quilt pattern question

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 15 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
6 Posts
Points 75
Perri posted on Sun, May 12 2013 9:20 PM

Hi!  I am making a Venetian Dreams pattern quilt.  It is so pretty I don't want to distract from its design, but I am getting bored with the blocks.  I have 6 & I need at least 12  --- I was thinking of making some unique borders to make it bigger & maybe having 9 blocks instead of 12.....   any ideas?

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

I had to Google this to see what it looked like.

It's pretty, but I can see that it would get a little repetitious.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sun, May 12 2013 10:25 PM

This is the pattern that I used for my flower garden quilt.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,399 Posts
Points 119,601
Patti replied on Mon, May 13 2013 9:23 AM

Looks to me like there is a lot you could do with this pattern to make it more interesting.   Just playing around with the way the blocks go together, and or adding some sashing, or borders could make it more interesting. 

I really like Nana's use of floral fabrics for this.  It's was a nice way to use the med/large floral prints.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,399 Posts
Points 119,601
Patti replied on Mon, May 13 2013 9:24 AM

And welcome Perri, I see that you are new.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,587 Posts
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Mon, May 13 2013 9:49 AM

Nana:
This is the pattern that I used for my flower garden quilt.

This pattern is quite similar to the one I used to make the Asian quilt for my niece.  This flower garden looks quite Asian to me, too.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
711 Posts
Points 13,885

Perri,Can you post a picture of a couple of your completed blocks?  It might be easier to offer suggestions after seeing your fabrics and colors.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
10 Posts
Points 230
alane replied on Tue, May 14 2013 8:45 PM

Hi Perri!

Have you thought about setting the rows on a diagonal instead of straight across? That might make it a little more interesting and allow you to have some fun with the border too. I think a border made up of rectangles and squares the width of the smallest square would be really eye catching. Are you using a solid the same way Nana did? That could be really interesting. Especially if you "floated one block" in a row. I know you probably don't understand what I mean so I'll see if I can make a quick sketch and upload it here.

Not Ranked
10 Posts
Points 230
alane replied on Tue, May 14 2013 10:06 PM

Here's what I had in mind. I apologize for the rough sketch, but hopefully you'll get the idea.

You could just cut the top row with the "floating" half square design and continue the border all around.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

Great idea, Alane!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,559 Posts
Points 23,645
Susie replied on Wed, May 15 2013 10:42 AM

This pattern is one on my to-do someday list.  I love the possibilities of it.  I also have a pattern that I get tired of the blocks.  So, I put it away, to be brought out again when I'm in the middle of other things.  SOMEDAY, I hope to have it finished.  I love the colors and fabrics I picked for it, it's just getting tedious.

Can you put yours away for a bit and come back to it?  Or does that drive you crazy?  My kids think it's crazy how I have so many ziplock bags that have partially completed projects stored in them.  But I can see them all, so when I get to a breaking point, I can grab any of them. and be ready to go.  (It will make it really nice for my upcoming retreat!)

Chicagoland, Illinois

Not Ranked
6 Posts
Points 75
Perri replied on Wed, May 15 2013 9:20 PM

Very pretty flower garden!

Not Ranked
6 Posts
Points 75
Perri replied on Wed, May 15 2013 9:21 PM

Thanks.  If I could figure out how to introduce myself, i would.

Not Ranked
6 Posts
Points 75
Perri replied on Wed, May 15 2013 9:23 PM

Thanks, Carol.  If I can figure that out, I will do it.

Not Ranked
6 Posts
Points 75
Perri replied on Wed, May 15 2013 9:25 PM

Oh, my!   That is a wonderful idea!!!   Thank you for going to all that trouble to help!

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use