Hiding knots

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
331 Posts
Points 5,860
Jenia posted on Sun, May 12 2013 6:48 PM

This is probably a basic question, and quite obvious to most of you.  I'm curious about hiding knots between layers when hand quilting.

i keep reading pages and something people look at often is hiding knots between fabric layers.  How is this done?  I am a hand quilter and want to ensure that my knots are secure and strong, but I don't want them showing.

They are quite obvious on my earlier projects, but I want to improve my skills and wondered if there is a specific technique that's used?  

I searched this site and funny enough the common topic that came up was hiding fabric from our husband!  

I checked this out n  YouTube, but wonder about the strength of that knot 

http://youtu.be/Bh5Fg_JqJ-A

Is there another common trick that might make me feel that the knot is strong and secure?

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,452 Posts
Points 47,765
Angele replied on Sun, May 12 2013 7:24 PM

Jeni a, I checked the video and I do the same method except that I bring the thread twice around the needle. The knot is very secure and doesn't show through.

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,467 Posts
Points 416,899
gini replied on Sun, May 12 2013 9:45 PM

Jenia,  I do it the same way, only I double wrap the needle, like angele.   

When I am quilting, I go down with the needle a half inch forward of where I am going to be quilting, on the quilting line.   Tug the knot into the quilt,  this way as you are quilting, you quilt over your thread, helping to hold the knot in.   

When I end a line of quilting, I knot the thread and come up about a half inch down the line of quilting.  Leave the tail, bring you new thread down close to the tail, and bring it up where you left off.   Give a little tug on the tail of the old thread to make sure there isn't any slack in it, take a couple of stitches with the new thread and snip the tail.  In this way i secure  the beginning and ending parts of the thread with the quilting.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,727 Posts
Points 437,060
Nana replied on Sun, May 12 2013 10:28 PM

Jenia

I do the same way as everyone else except I tend to wrap my thread 3 times.  When the knot gets to the fabric I hold the fabric and tug the knot.  Never had a problem with the threads coming loose.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
331 Posts
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Sun, May 12 2013 10:51 PM

Thank you all for confirmation that this works!  It's much appreciated, now I just need to work with it.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use