Page 2 of 3 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 31 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,562
Points 23,690
Susie replied on Mon, May 13 2013 8:00 AM

That's kind of funny.  I'm glad you have such a great attitude about it, Judy!  Personally, I would LOVE to see a quilt hanging at my library.  They have a display case that people can sign up to show off their collections.  But it isn't anywhere near big enough to show a quilt (or even a stash...)

I can't wait to see the pictures!  I sure wish I had the ability to make one of them.  But I am terrified of paper piecing.  I may get over it at some point, but there are just too many other things to do first.

Chicagoland, Illinois

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Mon, May 13 2013 8:17 AM

I had just started quilting when I worked in the Library here. I thought a quilt for the new building would be a great idea. We decided to make to a Gilmer County themed quilt. Lots of blocks were made, some submitted by patrons and others in the community. We did a display in the display case of some of the better blocks. That is as far as it got. When I left, I had tried and tired to get the other quilter there to get it done. Then I asked several months later,and she said she had given the blocks to a local quilter to piece it. Never have seen it again. Sad. At that time, I was not a good enough quilter to take on piecing it. I had just made blocks, then.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Mon, May 13 2013 9:01 AM

My first thought on reading this is the woman has Alzheimer's.  The beginnings of this type of behavior are not uncommon in Alzheimer's, although many don't experience this.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, May 13 2013 9:22 AM

Judy , what a wonderful thing for the local library to ask of you , As to the rude, lady, Its damn near impossible for  anyone in this world today to not have heard of Harry Potter , and I 'm almost positive ,she has and didn't want to admit it.  I agree with Mel she has to be from another planet if she hasn't . That still does not excuse her for being rude and not taking the time to notice the beauty of the quilt and the time spent to make it ,whether she is a fan or not , I'm very happy for you, people need to see how beautiful your quilt is. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,482
Points 176,813
Marie replied on Mon, May 13 2013 9:24 AM

I agree with Kris, Judy.  She should've looked at the quilt for what it was, "A Beautiful Work of Art"!  Congrats on the honor of hanging it in such a prominent place, the library, for all to see.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,482
Points 176,813
Marie replied on Mon, May 13 2013 9:28 AM

Susie, perhaps you should suggest a space to hang a quilt in your library, they may like that idea.

Millbury, MA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,562
Points 23,690
Susie replied on Mon, May 13 2013 9:52 AM

Marie:

Susie, perhaps you should suggest a space to hang a quilt in your library, they may like that idea.

I never would have thought about that...I should find out.  (I have to go pay for a lost book anyway...granddaughters misplaced one they checked out months ago.)

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,720
Points 121,485

Patti:

My first thought on reading this is the woman has Alzheimer's.  The beginnings of this type of behavior are not uncommon in Alzheimer's, although many don't experience this.

Hard to say Patti. But I think she was just being a bit snobbish and trying to make a point that she was above the whole Harry Potter craze. I also don't think she even knew that the quilter was standing there. She probably thought I was one of the library staff.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,720
Points 121,485

Susie:

Marie:

I never would have thought about that...I should find out.  (I have to go pay for a lost book anyway...granddaughters misplaced one they checked out months ago.)

The children's area would be a wonderful place to display storybook quilts. The quilts hanging in our library have inspired me to make one and I ordered fabric from True Legends.com. I got three different themes. Pooh, Peter Rabbit and Poky Little Puppy. I will start one soon.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Judy T-Bellingham:
Hard to say Patti. But I think she was just being a bit snobbish and trying to make a point that she was above the whole Harry Potter craze. I also don't think she even knew that the quilter was standing there. She probably thought I was one of the library staff.

As my mother aged, she would say the darnedest things, whatever popped into her head would fly out her mouth - sometimes it was cute and sometimes it was just downright embarrassing... Anyway, I loved your HP quilt!

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,293
Points 29,240
Agnes replied on Mon, May 13 2013 10:23 AM

As with everything else in this world, you can't please everyone. Your attitude, Judy, is bang on. I think libraries are an excellent place to display quilts. I have had quilts in several libraries. Something that happens when you keep moving is new libraries to explore for this. The current library has a wall of double sided showcase sections, visible in the main open area of a community complex it shares and also open to the library on the other side. They did a display of DH's intarsia work and another time one of my quilts. They always include some books that the library carries on the topic being show cased. 

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,720
Points 121,485

Agnes:
he current library has a wall of double sided showcase sections,

The library where my Harry Potter is hanging doesn't have showcases. The quilt is displayed on the wall. That made me really nervous when she first approached me. But, it's right at the checkout counter and someone is always there. (Hopefully). Also, it's secured very well by the hanging bar high up on the wall. Someone would have a difficult time getting it down. I do worry about people handling it to look at the back. They put a clothes pin on the bottom corner so people could turn it over to see the dragon label on the back. 

I will be very happy to get him back home safe and sound.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,720
Points 121,485

Susie:

I would LOVE to see a quilt hanging at my library.  They have a display case that people can sign up to show off their collections.  But it isn't anywhere near big enough to show a quilt (or even a stash...)I can't wait to see the pictures!  

Here are the photos from the library. The librarian made the entry quilt and the two storybook quilts in the childrens section. These are all permanent hangings.

Entry quilt:

Childrens room quilts

And, finally, this is by the check out desk where they hang the quilt of the month. I thought it was kind of cool that they made up a little sign asking people to see how many Harry Potter characters they can find in the quilt.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,482
Points 176,813
Marie replied on Mon, May 13 2013 3:18 PM

Thanks for the pics Judy, what a nice addition your quilt makes to the library.  I thought I might make a trip there to borrow it but it's a little to high for me to reach, even to reach the clothespin to see the label.  :  )

Millbury, MA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,293
Points 29,240
Agnes replied on Mon, May 13 2013 3:31 PM

Sorry if it sounded like the showcases were large enough to showcase a quilt fully, They have to be folded so the quilt rack that DH made for me was part of the display. I was looking for my photo but is eluding me right now.

I think the quilt looks quite safe. Lovely to see you with it.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Page 2 of 3 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use