Page 1 of 3 (32 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 31 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,785
Points 122,625
Judy T-Bellingham Posted: Sun, May 12 2013 4:45 PM

I posted this comment in the QCA question of the month "What accomplishment are you most proud of", but thought I'd repeat part of the story here. I am still chuckling when I think of it.

The Librarian from our county library saw my Harry Potter quilt at the NW Washington Fair last August and asked if I'd be willing to hang it at the library for a month. Every month they have a different quilt hanging. I was assigned to bring the quilt out for the month of May.

We got it hung and were standing back looking at it when a lady stopped to look. The Librarian said "Isn't it beautiful? It's titled Harry Potter's Library". The woman literally turned up her nose and said she knew nothing about Harry Potter and couldn't care less about the quilt. She walked away.  The Librarian was embarrassed but I had to control myself not to burst out laughing.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 125
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 439
Points 7,025
Mz M replied on Sun, May 12 2013 5:17 PM

LOL How could she not know about Harry Potter? Sounds like she needs to spend MORE time in the library! What a honor to be asked to hang your work for all to see! I have seen some HP quilts before and am afraid they are out of my skill range. However, I have downloaded the pattern for when I feel I am skillful enough to handle it.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,785
Points 122,625

Mz M:
How could she not know about Harry Potter?

I suspect she had heard of Harry Potter just didn't give a rip. And that carried over to the quilt itself. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Sun, May 12 2013 5:40 PM

Judy, a lady who was a patron at the library I worked at .when the Harry Potter books were so popular, wanted them banned as they were about "witchcraft" and would twist the minds of the local children.  So, maybe, she is a Harry basher, and thought it not an appropriate quilt for the Library 

Sukochi

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,785
Points 122,625

Sukochi:
thought it not an appropriate quilt for the Library 

That did occur to me as Harry Potter stories are mystical and may offend some folks. Although there are lots of mystical stories in the children's section; trolls and fairies and witches (Sleeping Beauty, Wizard of Oz). It was OK, she didn't offend me or hurt my feelings at all.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, May 12 2013 7:54 PM

Judy, good for you for having a sense of humor about it.

You would be amazed at the children's books that are on censored lists.  As George Will says, it doesn't take much to offend some people's "exquisite sensitivities."

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,465
Points 416,784
gini replied on Sun, May 12 2013 8:33 PM

Good attitude, Judy,  she was a little too full of herself.  

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020

Judy, she was obviously from another planet.  Probably from a different solar system from ours.  lol  NANOO  NANOO

MelodyP

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,952
Points 368,312
Kris replied on Sun, May 12 2013 9:13 PM

Lots of people don't like Harry Potter but that doesn't excuse rudeness. 

I'm glad you were able to laugh her off Judy.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 497
Points 10,005
tnmtgrl replied on Sun, May 12 2013 9:41 PM

I would have laughed right in her face....

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Sun, May 12 2013 10:29 PM

Judy

That is too funny.   She was just jealous....ROFLOL

Vinton, Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 794
Points 12,820
Quiltless replied on Sun, May 12 2013 10:35 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:
The woman literally turned up her nose and said she knew nothing about Harry Potter and couldn't care less about the quilt.

She says she knew nothing about Harry Potter and then acted like that?  I don't believe her.  

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,508
Points 48,175
Frances replied on Sun, May 12 2013 10:37 PM

Judy,

I myself dont care for Harry Potter, its a bit overkill over here and at one point i worked in a book department in a store and you would have thought Harry potter was the only book in the department, however all that being said i have loved the Harry Potter quilts that you all have done i think they are wonderful and very clever, just because you dont like/ or want to read the book, watch the film doesnt mean you disregard the quilt, Judy its a good job you have a sense of humour.

What a great idea to hang your quilt in your library, its a wonderful idea to inspire others either to quilt or to read.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,785
Points 122,625

Frances:
What a great idea to hang your quilt in your library, its a wonderful idea to inspire others either to quilt or to read.

This library hangs a different quilt every month in the main section by the check out counter. Plus they have several in the children's reading room. The librarian is a quilter and made the quilts in the kids section plus one that hangs over the inside entrance.  I'm going out there tomorrow and will take some pictures.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 439
Points 7,025
Mz M replied on Mon, May 13 2013 6:53 AM

Judy - can't wait to see picts!

• | Post Points: 50
Page 1 of 3 (32 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use