Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 50
Points 1,045
Christy G. Posted: Sun, May 12 2013 3:23 AM

Recently I have enjoyed watching a program called Quilting Arts TV. One segment has inspired me to try an ink sketch quilt the artist, Jane Davila uses acrylic inks to paint her quilts with that give them a water color look. I really like it a lot. I can't even draw a stick figure so I am wondering where I might get simple drawings that are ok to copy on to fabric so I can give this technique a go. Any one have any suggestions? Another thing I wonder about is what acrylic inks to buy. Is one name brand better than another? I liked the way Jane Davila used black thread to outline her drawings(free motion quilted). The drawings were not complex but I love the out come and wonder how she might display them when she is done? A hanging sleeve on the back, mounting them onto a canvas stretcher frame(if it is even called that)?  I am more of an quilt appreciator than a quilt maker. I can see myself being more of a student of quilting and fibers than a creator and oh how I love so many of the things I see.

Join in the discussion.... :-)

Christy G

Anchorage, Alaska

Happy Mother's Day

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 365
Shirley replied on Sun, May 12 2013 9:43 AM

Hi, this is my first post after joining so I hope it works!

I haven't seen the Quilting Arts TV segment you mention, but I do lots of art quilts and frequently need drawings for applique, etc.  Here are some suggestions.

First, there is Clip Art.  This is generally copyright-free and can be purchased in books at the bookstore or Amazon.  Also, there is clip art associated with software like Microsoft Word.  Your word processor probably has an option to Insert Clip Art.  You can search the clip art library for any subject you need.

Second, there is Google Image.  Now here you have to respect the copyrights, because many images are copyrighted.  What I do is find a photo that is similar to what I want - say I want to applique a pansy on to my quilt.  I find photographs of pansies that are about the shape I need.  Then I print out the photograph from Google.  I trace over the outlines of the shapes I want, enlarge them to the size I need, rearrange them or mirror image them, etc.  By the time I am done with my adjustments there is little resemblance to the original photograph and I have "created" a new drawing.  If appropriate, I add color or shading, using the original photo or other Google photos as inspiration.

As a related aside, one of my current projects is a series of black and white quilts based on the art of Zentangle, which anyone can do.  I have included a few of these pieces in my gallery:  www.mysterybayquiltdesign.com/gallery .  These are done with a combination of free motion quilting, ink and pencil for shading.  Fascinating stuff, and I plan to do more.

Shirley at Mystery Bay Quilt Design

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 365
Shirley replied on Sun, May 12 2013 9:48 AM

Sorry, forgot to answer the question about inks.  I use Tsukineko inks for fabric.  They are usually available at bigger quilt shops, and will definitely be available on line. 

I don't know if they are acrylics or not, just that they are meant for fabrics and come both in markers (as Fabrico pens) and in small bottles.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,105
Points 109,540
chocake2 replied on Sun, May 12 2013 12:07 PM

You can do an spacified Image search - "Copywrite Free Image: (your Subject matter)" - and usually come up with acceptable material. If you use something that you aren't 100% sure is not copy writed, be sure to give credit for it on your quilt label by stating where it was acquired. Say something like: "Quilt designed and made by Christy, using a photo from GreatPics.com for inspiration."

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 365
Shirley replied on Sun, May 12 2013 1:02 PM

Great suggestion about searching for copyright free images; I didn't know you could do that.  Usually I am combining elements of mutiple images, so it doesn't seem appropriate to credit one image for inspiration.  I know this is a personal judgment call and everyone has to make their own decision.  I usually look at my resulting drawing and compare it to the photos I started from.  If I think the original artist/photographer would recognize it as derived from their work, I give credit.  If not, I don't.  

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 211
Points 3,375

Hi 

Happy Mothers Day to you as well. You might try a we site for Dover books, if you click on something that looks interesting they will often have samples that you can download and print of pages. I use clipart and they have quite a bit. Also you can get clipart off the computer there is a lot of free share ware out there . Also embroidery transfers especially redwork which is basically line drawings would work too. I do a lot of desk top publishing at times even coloring books are great. Dover will give you a lot of ideas.  I hope this helps I really like doing things where I can take a piece of one and add a piece of another computers are great for that. Stencils could be another source along with magazines or even your quilting templates. There are a couple of mags that also might help. One is Quilting Arts the other is Cloth Paper Scissors, they both have web sites. I hope this helps but honestly I know I do this too but we all get caught up in buying and if we just look around our house we can find more and better picks than we could buy. You know old cereal box pix old photos stuff is all around us.  Happy hunting I can't wait to hear what you finally went with.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 50
Points 1,045

Thank you for the suggestions. I will investigate them all. I knew you all would have an answers for me.

Gratefully your sister in quilt arts,

Christy G

Anchorage, Alaska

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,261
Points 173,143
Marie replied on Mon, May 13 2013 10:00 AM

Hi Christy, just wanted to welcome you to QCA.  Don't have any advice except to enjoy yourself and please do share your art with us.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,261
Points 173,143
Marie replied on Mon, May 13 2013 10:07 AM

WOW is all I can say, Shirley!  I went to your gallery and admired your work.  I can't draw or have the imagination to think up any of what you do.  I loved all of your art but was especially drawn to the Forest scene where the land recedes into the skyline.  WOW!  BTW, welcome to QCA and keep on sharing your art with us.

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 365
Shirley replied on Mon, May 13 2013 3:43 PM

Thank you so much for your comments.  I am absolutely addicted to quilting and I love to try new things!  I am a newbie to these online forums, though.  I have decided to get more connected online this year, so I have started a blog and am joining some forums. 

How to you guys get those really cool signatures for your posts?  I haven't learned how to do that yet.

Shirley

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use