rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,020
Sandy Posted: Tue, May 7 2013 6:49 PM

Hi,

I was just wondering where or to what organizations have you or would you donate a quilt you have made?

I know there are many churches that have quilt groups that make quilts, my mom is involved with one.  And I have heard of the Linus project, but what others are there out there.  And maybe if you have info on how to send etc.

I know of a local homeless shelter, and I have been told that the Veterans hospital has a need.

Sandy

• | Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,455
safrmaz replied on Tue, May 7 2013 7:36 PM

I donated to Quilts for Kids when I lived in another state.  We recently move to Las Vegas and I emailed the contact person here but got no reply.  They have a website. You can check to see if there is a contact person in your area. 

We have a VA hospital here and I've thought about contacting them to see if there is a need.

Good luck.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,224
Points 16,470
Susan replied on Tue, May 7 2013 8:13 PM

The guild i am a member of donates our quilts to Domestic Violence Shelter, Sheriffs Office , Hospitals, VA etc.  If you can find a guild in your area they could help you.         Susan

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 230
Points 3,720

Hi

I am a nurse and I have worked in long term care Nursing homes are glad to get them.  If they play bingo for activities they can use them for prizes or even for fund raisers. I have seen apartment complexes for elderly and disabled have donated items for anyone who wants or needs them. Also Nursing homes sometimes have programs for residents who have no families to give them gifts like on Mothers Day Fathers Day or Christmas. It amazed me the number of residents that never got gifts or visitors unless the facility bought them something.  I hope this helps some with some ideas. My daughter and her hubby are wanting children and of course I want grandchildren I am have been ready since I had my kids to be a grandma, so I have already started shopping for stuff patterns and material for stuff. If for some reason no grandchildren I will donate the items I make.  I do have grand puppies and a grand turtel by the way.

Kerry

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,494
Points 48,185
Angele replied on Tue, May 7 2013 9:22 PM

I donate to the local women's shelter, to the school for a fundraiser or to a homeless shelter.  The firemen and police also use quilts when they arrive on site of serious accidents or fires.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,020
Sandy replied on Tue, May 7 2013 10:42 PM

thank you all for your ideas!

I will be able to be more specific as I do a web search too. 

Sandy

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,527
Points 31,070
Diana replied on Wed, May 8 2013 5:18 AM

Our quilt guilds donate to hospice and local nursing homes.  Our delegate for these things couldn't get to the nursing home until week before Easter and they said the offers were just in time.  Residents who never had visitors each got a quilt for Easter and they were so thrilled and appreciative.  It does a heart good to know if lifted the spirits of loving people.

Diana in East Tn.  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 247,949
Barbara replied on Wed, May 8 2013 7:18 AM

My guild also donates to hospice and QOV  which we are doing this year.

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 379
Points 5,100
Annette replied on Sat, May 11 2013 9:44 PM

Hi

Our church quilt group also creates baby quilts that we give at baptisms as a way to welcome the child to the church family.   For a few older kids who are baptized, we have a denim/flannel pattern that we use that is larger in size.

The other quilt group that I belong to also donates quilts (lap size to bed size) to local nursing homes to give to new residents at Christmas.  

Annette

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,180
Nana replied on Sat, May 11 2013 11:24 PM

If you have a hospital with a neonatal unit they like receiving quilts to place over the isoletes to keep the light down.   They also like receiving flannel receiving blankets.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 465
Points 7,395
Julienne replied on Sun, May 12 2013 10:15 AM

I know that our hospital also takes them for cancer treatment patients so while they are sitting there getting Chemo they don't get so cold and it make them feel special. If you have a VA hospital near by you can check with them. Also you can check with your local battered woman's shelter or foster care centers.  Also if you have a daycare center near by they love to have a blanket for each child but don't so many children do not get one at nap time. You can check with one of them as well.  Espically for the babies.

Julienne - Mid Missouri

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use