Top 10 Posters

Anyone out there who does other arts besides quilts?

Page 4 of 4 (58 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 57 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,330
Points 36,660
Linda replied on Sun, May 12 2013 6:48 AM

Gosh I forgot about all the past things I did like ceramics, embroidery, counted cross stitch (still do a little of the last two), and all the Civil War gowns I made and Civil War childrens' clothing I made. Then there's my children's clothing and pj/s, alterations for customers, curtains and drapes for my house and customers. All the Civil War reenacting. My feeble attempts at sketching dresses at the museaums and setting off alarms from leaning over too far to see a detail on the dress! Hey it got me in to see the curators and to see the whole collection.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 580
quiltcraze replied on Sun, May 12 2013 10:19 AM

Hey chocake2, What kind of painting?  I paint realistic oil paintings.  Well I used to, to busy quilting, crocheting, and stained glassing.  Do you use a kiln for you lambwork beads or do you use a flame?  So I assume you do beading and make jewelry?

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 580
quiltcraze replied on Sun, May 12 2013 10:22 AM

Karla,

If you have any questions about stained glass just ask me.  

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 580
quiltcraze replied on Sun, May 12 2013 10:27 AM

That's awesome Linda.  

Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 580
quiltcraze replied on Sun, May 12 2013 10:27 AM

That's awesome Linda.  

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,106
Points 109,560
chocake2 replied on Sun, May 12 2013 12:13 PM

quiltcraze:

Hey chocake2, What kind of painting?  I paint realistic oil paintings.  Well I used to, to busy quilting, crocheting, and stained glassing.  Do you use a kiln for you lambwork beads or do you use a flame?  So I assume you do beading and make jewelry?

I dabble in watercolor. Badly.  I have a kiln for annealing my beads, but it is small so I batch anneal.  I use the vemiculite method for holding them. Yes, I use my beads for making jewlery. 'Think there are a few pics of my early work in my gallery if you wanna see it.  Right now instead of beads I am making glass head push-pins. The nice thing about glass is I can turn out a little creative impulse in about 10 min, so I can snatch a moment here and there and not have to fuss with set up.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 435
Points 6,960
Mz M replied on Sun, May 12 2013 12:21 PM

chocake2:

I have a kiln for annealing my beads, .....

Chocake2 have you ever tried PRECIOUS METAL CLAY? it uses a small kiln and is very fun!! I have silver earings and a necklace I have made and get so many compliments on them. They were my first and second project! If you haven't tried it there is lots of information out there about how to use PMC.

Have fun!! Oh, did I mention I really wish I had a kiln just for this purpose!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 435
Points 6,960
Mz M replied on Sun, May 12 2013 12:24 PM

quiltcraze:

Where did you live in the Bay Area?  I live right on the edge of the Presideo so it's awesome for the dogs.  Lots of wonderful places to walk.  

I lived in Oakland and worked in SF. Lived right up the street from Oakland Park. Early 70's and it was really a nice place to live back then!! I loved it.

Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 580

My grandmother was a great water color artist.  She used to travel all over the world and teach workshops.

Here's my helper, and oh so helpful

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,284
Points 173,438
Marie replied on Wed, May 15 2013 9:54 AM

I'd love to see some of your grandmother's work, what is her name?

He/she is so cute, what's your helpers name?

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 580
quiltcraze replied on Wed, May 15 2013 10:31 AM

My grandmothers name was Betty Lynch, she lived in Austin Texas.  That's my wonderful helper Sammie, she was found by a dumb site with a broken leg, and her face so swollen you couldn't see her eyes.  She's somewhat blind.  She's the sweetest loving kitty ever, even when she was found she tried to purr.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,284
Points 173,438
Marie replied on Wed, May 15 2013 11:02 AM

Bless you for rescuing Sammie!  I have a daughter we call Sam, real name Sandra.  I'm going to search your grandmothers name and hope to find her work.  

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,472
Points 116,830

I used to do woodworking and decorative painting (some call it Tole Painting). I made wood photo albums, painted santa's out of Cypress Knees, ornaments and a variety of woodcrafts. Gave it up when I could no longer work around wood dust. Plus, I kind of lost incentive. Cleaning brushes, preparation, just wasn't something I could sit down at for a few minutes here and there. I went back to my first love, quilting, and have never looked back.

I also enjoy genealogy and have put together some extensive family history books from photos, family letters and stories and research on ancestry.com. 

But quilting is what takes up most of my days now. Well, that and walking the dog and hubby.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Page 4 of 4 (58 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use