Top 10 Posters

Anyone out there who does other arts besides quilts?

Page 3 of 4 (58 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 57 Replies | 12 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 580
quiltcraze replied on Sat, May 11 2013 10:30 AM

I too have so many photos of the kids and trips that I wanted to make into books for the boys, but that really is a task and so it just stays in the closet.  some day I'll get to that,, I really need to do it.

Tatting seems like a lot of work.  Is it hard?  Is it like crocheting? I'd love to see some of your lace

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Sat, May 11 2013 2:58 PM

Here are some tatted cross book marks.  I do needle tatting because I find it easier, specially when it comes to taking out mistakes.   I am not fast at it and it can be very time consuming.  But it is a good hand craft to take along when traveling.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 425
Points 9,220
Pamela replied on Sat, May 11 2013 3:39 PM

These cross bookmarks are beautiful. I had a great-aunt that tatted with a shuttle and it always fascinated me. I remember watching her do it a few times. My grandmother also tatted, but I never learned how to do it. I really would like to learn this craft. Any suggestions on where to start?

Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 580

I looked up tatting because I didn't know what it was.  very nice Pattie!  Is it hard to do?  Here is a link Pamela to what and how to do tatting

http://www.wikihow.com/Begin-Tatting

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 128
Points 1,775
beve99 replied on Sat, May 11 2013 4:29 PM

Wow, Patti!  Very nice!  I tried tatting when I was a teenager, but it was very tedious.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Sat, May 11 2013 6:39 PM

Patti

I love the bookmarks.  Beth tried to show me shuttle tatting in Branson.  Could tie great knots....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,529
Points 177,453
Marie replied on Sat, May 11 2013 8:14 PM

Parti, your crosses are beautiful!

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,388
Points 37,625
Linda replied on Sat, May 11 2013 8:23 PM

Patti, love the bookmarks. My grandma Fales use to tat. I thought it was a lost art.

I do some basic knitting once in a while.  Of course, gardening. I'm designing a secret garden this year.

I also while at the Country Living Magazine Fair in Columbus got interest in making paper while watching at one of the booths. I got hooked...hook, line,and sinker....bought the whole kit. Went to a thrift store and bought a mixer. And now I save any colored paper that comes in the mail and tissue paper. Also collect glitter, different grasses, flowers, and just about anything else that can be put in it. And it's very messsy. Great when little kids come over and their parents come to pick them and and about freak when they see their clothes!!!!!  "What? I said we were making paper!"

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 872
Points 14,245
Dara replied on Sat, May 11 2013 8:23 PM

Gorgeous bookmarks!!   I tried tatting once but made a mess of it.  I still have the shuttle...  I do a lot of counted cross stitch. I also read a lot.  In addition to various quilting projects, I am working on making a new purse. I also make tote bags for shopping, curtains, and garments. Occasionally I knit or crochet although I used to do a lot of both.  In the summer I spend a lot time in my garden and in the kitchen canning.

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Sat, May 11 2013 9:05 PM

I make lampwork beads, and  jewelry. I paint. I bake. I used to make period costumes but that's in the past.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,592
Points 75,980
Karla replied on Sat, May 11 2013 10:20 PM

Patti - your bookmarks are gorgeous, what talent.

Linda - I tried paper making one time, and you're right, it's very messy.  It was fun though but I was working full-time at the time, and it wasn't something that caught on with me then.  I might try it again sometime.

I went to a craft fair with my DGS today, and tried my hand at glass cutting, a prelude to stained glass work.  She gives lessons, and I'm seriously considering it, except that it is about 50 miles away.  It is something I've always wanted to do though, so I might take the plunge.  I know my DH is just cringing at the thought of another hobby in the house.  Move over scrap booking materials...they're basically just being stored anyway.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,583
Points 26,485
Debbie replied on Sat, May 11 2013 11:16 PM

Gosh, got some very talented ladies here. I've done macrame, cross stitch, embroidery, crochet,and tried knitting. Been sewing since I was 12 and made daughters' clothes when they were little, so that's more than 30 years ago. Also dappled in ceramics when I was younger, still have a caroler set of 4 with Christmas tree, it lights up, and a little dog. Carolers are in old English dress. Now, I mostly quilt and read.

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Sat, May 11 2013 11:19 PM

I forgot about doing macrame, jewelry making and cross stitch.   Don't do the cross stitch anymore because it is too hard to see.   Unfortunately I still have to do alterations and mending for the daughters.   I hate mending.....LOL>  

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,583
Points 26,485
Debbie replied on Sat, May 11 2013 11:22 PM

The carolers I made when I was 16, have moved them from MO, MS, Germany, MT, NE, NM, and OK.  Still set them out every Christmas, and we lived in 13 houses in 40 years.

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,480
Jacy replied on Sun, May 12 2013 12:00 AM

I knit, crochet, do counted cross stitch, embroider, but not very often, mostly I quilt. I used to sew my kids dresses, PJ's, and dress up clothes and halloween costumes, bow ties and hair bows, but that's pretty rare now too. I bake and cook to keep people around here happy, do the minimum I can to keep the garden going in the summer, but my first choice with any free time is usually quilting.

Page 3 of 4 (58 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use