Top 10 Posters

Anyone out there who does other arts besides quilts?

Page 1 of 4 (58 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 57 Replies | 12 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 580
quiltcraze Posted: Tue, May 7 2013 2:41 PM

Hi, 

My name is Margaret and I was looking for other people who do other arts besides quilting.  I've been quilting for about 2 years now and I love it.  I also do stained glass specializing in pet portraits, I crochet, and I do beading. I'm an registered veterinary technician and just love animals.  (why I wanted to do pet portraits)

I wanted to make a quilted pet portrait for a friend and thought quilting was similar to stained glass except one is using hard marterials and one is using soft materials.  Basically the same concept, making a pattern, cutting pieces out, and putting them together.  It turned out to be a pretty nice quilted pet portrait.

I was just wondering if there were others out there who do other types of arts and if they incorportate that into making their quilts.  

Look forward to hearing from you all

Margaret

quiltcraze

• | Post Points: 80
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 331
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Tue, May 7 2013 3:32 PM

I used to crochet, I used to macrame, I used to bicycle, I used to read, I used to swim, I used to cook,  I used to have a clean house,,

Then I started quilting!

lol

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,592
Points 75,980
Karla replied on Tue, May 7 2013 3:42 PM

Jenia:

I used to crochet, I used to macrame, I used to bicycle, I used to read, I used to swim, I used to cook,  I used to have a clean house,,

Then I started quilting!

lol

Ditto, Jenia, although I still read and sometimes I even cook.  

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,467
Points 416,899
gini replied on Tue, May 7 2013 3:43 PM

Mostly, any crafts I do besides quilting are incorporated into quilting these days.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,604
Points 48,215

Jenia:

Then I started quilting!

lol

LOL

Southwest of San Antonio

Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 580

Ok that's pretty funny!  Yes, quilting is addicting!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, May 7 2013 4:13 PM

quiltcraze:
I wanted to make a quilted pet portrait for a friend and thought quilting was similar to stained glass except one is using hard marterials and one is using soft materials.  Basically the same concept, making a pattern, cutting pieces out, and putting them together.  It turned out to be a pretty nice quilted pet portrait.

This sounds like the same process that some use for their art quilts.  I'm not there yet.  I am a member of Jenia"s messy house club.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,187
Points 18,275

Jenia:

Then I started quilting!

lol

This is so funny.

I still crochet, sold my bike, listen to books on tape while I sew, I still have to clean and cook, DH would cut off the electricy to my sewing room if I didn't feed him. lol

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,592
Points 75,980
Karla replied on Tue, May 7 2013 4:28 PM

weezee56:
DH would cut off the electricy to my sewing room if I didn't feed him. lol

My husband, too.  His motto is call him anything but late for dinner.

Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 580

I hear ya ladies, I too have to keep the house clean and have food ready.  I also take care of my 88 year old mother in law who is in a wheelchair and can't do much for herself.  Between all that and walking the dogs I can get in about 1 to 2 hours a day if I'm lucky.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Tue, May 7 2013 9:06 PM

I have dabbled in card making, stained glass, tatting, clothes sewing, quilting.  I have 2 windows I want to put stained glass in.  I may get to that yet.  I know where my glass and equipment is stashed.  I have looked at stained glass books for designs for quilts.  I think I like quilting best because it is so portable, with hand projects I can always take with me.

This may be the summer to finish a big variety of projects.  I am only working 2 days a week!

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 439
Points 7,025
Mz M replied on Tue, May 7 2013 10:05 PM

Oh, to have unlimited monetary resources, a 3000 square foot house with 3 car stall garage, and a workshop all to house my craft interests which include Quilting, Scrapbooking, Card Making, Stained Glass and Cabinet Making. Mind you now, that does NOT include a husband but most definitely a dog and a cat as well as piped in music throughout the house. Adding to all of the above is extra time in each day to do all the things I want. Of course I would share my toys – want to be my friend?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 128
Points 1,775
beve99 replied on Wed, May 8 2013 7:49 AM

Hi,

I'm Beverly.  I crochet & embroider.  A few years ago, I was tired of crocheting so decided to give quilting a try.  I hand pieced & quilted a quilt for my daughter & now i'm working on one for my son.  In the mean time, I'm also making quilt tops to practice my piecing skills.  I have a granddaughter due at the end of the month, so I've started crocheting again to give her all the cute stuff I've been seeing online. 

Beve

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Wed, May 8 2013 7:57 AM

I recently took up knitting again and have really committed a fair amount of hours on improving my skills.  Just completed a cardigan sweater with a bunch of cables.  I used to scrapbook and as for the house????  Enough said.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,592
Points 75,980
Karla replied on Wed, May 8 2013 9:31 AM

Mz M:

Oh, to have unlimited monetary resources, a 3000 square foot house with 3 car stall garage, and a workshop all to house my craft interests which include Quilting, Scrapbooking, Card Making, Stained Glass and Cabinet Making. Mind you now, that does NOT include a husband but most definitely a dog and a cat as well as piped in music throughout the house. Adding to all of the above is extra time in each day to do all the things I want. Of course I would share my toys – want to be my friend?

Mz M, this sounds like my dream...a need a 3,000 square foot house, the garage and a workshop, but all of this just for my quilting.  I could also use someone to keep it all clean for me, LOL, because quilting would take up all of my time.

Page 1 of 4 (58 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use