Top 10 Posters

Would anyone like some vintage feedsack fabric squares?

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 331
Points 5,860
Jenia Posted: Sat, May 4 2013 6:33 PM

My grandma gave me these during a recent visit to see her.  She said she put them together as one of her first quilting projects.  They are made from scraps leftover after using feedsacks to make dresses for my mom and aunt.   She would have put them together in the early 1950's but the material could be from the 1940's, she thought.

There are 40 blocks which measure ~9 inches with each little square being ~3 inches.  Some edges are raveled.  All of them are hand stitched and some of the hems are a bit uneven.  

UI have too many projects and these really aren't colors I would typically use, so I thought perhaps someone here could use them better than I could.   She even suggested that a vintage quilt repair person may need these.  

I checked on ebay and there are similar listings of this type.  One showed $30 for 20 blocks.  I would actually just like to see that these get into hands of someone who might need them perhaps for vintage repair something.  A trade for whatever might be laying in your sewing room that you don't want would be fine with me.  Let me know if your interested and what you'd like to swap.  I would really love a 9-inch square ruler, but fabric swap would be fun too, send pics of your offer.

once again the iPad posted the photo upside down, but you can see what they look like here, there are several different fabrics, let me know if you need. Close up of any of them

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,875
Sukochi replied on Sat, May 4 2013 7:10 PM

Jenia, don't you have a family member you could make blocks into a quilt and give as a memory of your grandmother? Gosh, those should be cherished, passed down, and not just given away. I have blocks my DLMIL made in the closet and I will make pillows for the grand kids of hers. Sadly there are not enough blocks to make a quilt for each of her grand kids. I sure hope you can make a quilt for a family member from them.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 12,675

Jenna, please don't just give these away to just anyone.  You have a piece of history that is not replaceable.  Please try to get them into the hands of someone who will preserve them and use them for the treasures that they are.  

Good luck.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 331
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Sat, May 4 2013 9:45 PM

Hi Sukochi

I appreciate how you feel and i considered keeping them, but imhonestly think they will be better in the hands of someone who really wants to work with them.

I already have quilt tops from Granny that I am finishing for family members.  It was actually her idea to see if they would get into someone's hands that really needs them to perhaps repair a vintage quilt or something like that.  

I would never give anything away that she cherished.  If she would have said see if you can make something from these, I would have tried something.

I just hope to find them the right home.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 331
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Sat, May 4 2013 9:47 PM

Hi PrairieDog, yes that's exactly why I didn't want to just put them up for sale on ebay.  I thought this would be the best place to start, to see if anyone truly needs them for an historical project or something.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,436
Points 38,395
Linda replied on Thu, May 9 2013 12:56 PM

I agree with everyone else. ......BUT I would love to have them. I love the colors, etc. And I would gladly buy you the 9in square ruler. From this point we should communicate by PM if you don't get any other offers.

I think it's a shame however, that there's no one in the family that dosen't want them. I hope there will be no regrets once you pass them on to someone not in the family. I'm amazed that no one wants them. Is it because they aren't perfect?

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 331
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Thu, May 9 2013 2:01 PM

I'm so glad someone here responded!  I would much rather have you take them through this quilting group, this way I can see what you do with them and keep in touch with you.

Granny's quilting improved exponentially over the years, yes these are not perfect.  Granny became an expert quilter and has won awards, prizes and blue ribbons for her quilting...these are not of her typical quilting ability.  I am only offering them for the historical significance of the material, not for the assembled blocks.  She wanted to throw them away!

I actually had them listed on ebay, but stopped the listing now that I have interest from a colleague here!

Here's my email address kingjenia at yahoo dot com.  We can exchange mailing addresses, phone numbers etc privately.

You have no idea how happy I am that they will not go to a total stranger. 

You see I consider everyone on this site to be friends, no reason not to, right? 

Thank you so much!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,841
Points 248,954
Barbara replied on Thu, May 9 2013 9:13 PM

Well Darn I see LInda beat me to them.  that's ok , but I really do love them.. Barbara 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,436
Points 38,395
Linda replied on Fri, May 10 2013 4:24 AM

Early bird catches the worm! Sorry Barbara! Hugs.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,436
Points 38,395
Linda replied on Fri, May 10 2013 4:26 AM

Jenia, you will be hearing from me soon!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,841
Points 248,954
Barbara replied on Fri, May 10 2013 7:51 AM

Linda ,no problem glad they are going to some one who I know will use them. I wanna see what you do with them when you r finished ...Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 331
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Fri, May 10 2013 9:39 AM

Yes, Linda contacted me yesterday and has made arrangements to take the vintage squares.  I am so happy they will be going to a member here!  I look forward to seeing what she can do with them.  I am sure it will be very special.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,436
Points 38,395
Linda replied on Thu, May 23 2013 2:04 PM

Jenia, sorry I haven't contacted you sooner. I received the squares but didn't have a computer until today to let you know that I had received them. They are fragile, but I'm trying to contact a friend who knows if I can do what I'd like to do. I would like to use them as the center of a quilt for my guest room. The colors (except for 3 blocks) are perfect. But I want to see if I can put muslin behind them and what I can do on top to preserve them as they are fraying. If I am able to use them as the center, I'd like to put a couple borders around them then finish the quilt using 30 & 40s fabrics in same colors. I haven't had luck getting an answer. So I may take them to retreat with me and ask the old Amish ladies at the quilt shops. I will bring you up to date probably after the quilt retreat next month.

Thank you so much for trusting me with such a precious heirloom. I hope I won't disappoint you.

Hugs.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 331
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Thu, May 23 2013 2:55 PM

Linda:

Jenia, sorry I haven't contacted you sooner. I received the squares but didn't have a computer until today to let you know that I had received them. They are fragile, but I'm trying to contact a friend who knows if I can do what I'd like to do. I would like to use them as the center of a quilt for my guest room. The colors (except for 3 blocks) are perfect. But I want to see if I can put muslin behind them and what I can do on top to preserve them as they are fraying. If I am able to use them as the center, I'd like to put a couple borders around them then finish the quilt using 30 & 40s fabrics in same colors. I haven't had luck getting an answer. So I may take them to retreat with me and ask the old Amish ladies at the quilt shops. I will bring you up to date probably after the quilt retreat next month.

Thank you so much for trusting me with such a precious heirloom. I hope I won't disappoint you.

Hugs.

Linda:  You are more than welcome.  I certainly hope they work out for you!

Thank you for the ruler by the way, it arrived 2 days ago, but we had house guests for a while so I forgot to mention it to you.

I am so happy that they found a home where they will be used as they should be.  I would never have used them for anything.  It will be so especially cool if you do use them and I can show my Granny what became of them.  She will be so surprised, she was going to throw them away.  I just knew someone would love to have them.  Thanks YOU for even trying!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Thu, May 23 2013 2:59 PM

Linda

Just a suggestion, use the lightest iron on backing that you can, that will strengthen your squares without making them stiff.  I used to use wonder under but that was very stiff and two sided.  I think you only need something you can iron on then sanwich and quilt as normal.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use