Page 2 of 3 (41 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 40 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, May 5 2013 9:41 AM

I still like the Bloc Loc idea because all these other methods can still be distorted either through inaccurate seams or by the pressing.  With Bloc Loc, you sew and press the square and then trim to size, and it removes the dog ears.  You could use any of the methods you've been talking about for cutting your fabric and then finish with the Bloc Loc.

Bloc Loc video

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,330
Points 18,765

I've been eyeing the wonder cut ruler for a while but the easy  HST tutorial is great!  I have a lot of layer cakes to use so thanks Agnes for the idea! 

Piece, Love, Quilt

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,633
Points 48,810

Michelle, I thought about that, just need to figure out how wide to cut your strips. 

Nancy, I love my Bloc Loc but trimming up all those HSTs for MQ8 got really tedious.  I see what you're saying about these other tools but I was thinking... Dixie's will be accurate because she measures from the sewing line and has already sewn the bias line before any cutting was done.  The other tool measures from the cut edge so if your seam is off there will be room for error and made worse by all the bias edges.

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,702
Points 179,708
Marie replied on Sun, May 5 2013 10:48 AM

Nancy, I watched the Bloc Loc video and I really like what I saw.  I'm going to try the method that I posted to see how accurate the blocks are first then I'll look into these.  Thanks for the link.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,633
Points 48,810

I've been playing.  I've watched all the videos including one for the Quilt In A Day Triangle square-up ruler which I just happen to have.  The instruction sheet that comes with it has info for cutting 8 from 2 squares like the video Marie shared.      Read directions?  Say What?  Sure glad I saved them though :o)

I still have to work on the math for strip cutting widths but this seems to be the answer I was looking for (except for the part about having to do the math).  I cut some strips with the grain and some bias strips, stitched the 1/4" edges then cut with the template.  The first set are definitely stretchy on the sides.  The ones cut on the bias are not.

So there ya go... from my brain to yours...  you decide!

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,702
Points 179,708
Marie replied on Sun, May 5 2013 3:48 PM

Debbie-do:
the Quilt In A Day Triangle square-up ruler

OMG, I just checked and I have that ruler too!  I did test out the directions on the video I shared with you and all 8 half square triangle blocks measure 1/16" to large.  I think I may try adjusting my needle a few threads away and see if I can get them to measure exactly 3.5".  I have so many rulers thank goodness I don't have to purchase another.

Thanks Debbie-do for posting a pic of that ruler!

Millbury, MA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,020
Sandy replied on Sun, May 5 2013 6:29 PM

Marie:

EASY Half Square Triangle Tutorial

Try this link.  I plan on trying this one and will let you know how it turns out.

I like this... I also make hst 4 at a time  ... really we need several ways to make them because it depends on what fabric we have... sure I like using a big square but I like that wonder ruler when I am using jelly rolls... and also thinking out loud I hear you about the bias and when I am working with triangles  I do use just a bit of spray starch hoping to keep them from stretching.

good discussion though, and I saved the links for the future :)

Sandy

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, May 5 2013 9:30 PM

Debbie-do:

This is the ruler I bought for MQ8 when I couldn't find the Bloc Loc at a quilt store in town.  It worked well for squaring up the blocks, but I don't like that it leaves the dog ears on.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,633
Points 48,810
Debbie-do replied on Sun, May 5 2013 10:05 PM

Sandy:

I like this... I also make hst 4 at a time  ... really we need several ways to make them because it depends on what fabric we have... sure I like using a big square but I like that wonder ruler when I am using jelly rolls... and also thinking out loud I hear you about the bias and when I am working with triangles  I do use just a bit of spray starch hoping to keep them from stretching.

good discussion though, and I saved the links for the future :)

Sandy

I learned this method from Jenny Doan I think.  It's the way I was making my HSTs when making pinwheels.  The edges are bias though and when I made my last pinwheel quilt with flannel, those edges gave me fits!  I agree with you though, I've learned much from this discussion!

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,633
Points 48,810
Debbie-do replied on Sun, May 5 2013 10:08 PM

MNnancy:

Debbie-do:

This is the ruler I bought for MQ8 when I couldn't find the Bloc Loc at a quilt store in town.  It worked well for squaring up the blocks, but I don't like that it leaves the dog ears on.

As I was cutting the strips with it, after the first two cuts, there was only one dog ear per triangle set.  Squaring up the individual blocks leaves you with two so you have even more work after you've squared up.  I tried both my bloc loc and this tool and went with the bloc loc even though it's the 6 1/2" size.  I bought a small one last week at the quilt shop in F'burg while on the retreat.

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,633
Points 48,810
Debbie-do replied on Sun, May 5 2013 10:09 PM

Debbie-do:

MNnancy:

Debbie-do:

As I was cutting the strips with it, after the first two cuts, there was only one dog ear per triangle set.  Squaring up the individual blocks leaves you with two so you have even more work after you've squared up.  I tried both my bloc loc and this tool and went with the bloc loc even though it's the 6 1/2" size.  I bought a small one last week at the quilt shop in F'burg while on the retreat.

The beauty of cuting the tube stips is that it's all squared up so all you have to do is trim off the dog ears.

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 791
Points 20,075
Carol replied on Mon, May 6 2013 11:37 PM

Debbie-do, was glad to see your link to Dixie's video.  When she opened the first shop called Seventh Heaven, on Highway 87, it was the building that used to tbe the Singer dealer and was just a couple miles from my house at the time.  So I knew her well and really liked the shop, but after I left for Arkansas, she moved over to the North side of town.  Used to go visit the shop when I went to SA - but then I heard she closed it.  Didn't realize she still did shows, don't go to many now.  But I see those rulers are kinda like the method Bonnie Hunter uses to cut triangles, and that works very well, like you said, when you're done, no trimming to do.  I was a long time getting the MQ8 HSTs trimmed, had to do it a little at a time, but they came out good, too.  In fact, I just finished putting it together after we got back from a trip to see my brother in St Louis.  I like reading your posts, "cause I miss San Antonio! 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,915
Points 41,005
ls2116 replied on Tue, May 7 2013 12:52 AM

I used F&P ruler for my corner HST.  Since I like doing triangles I'll check out some of the ones you have been mentioning.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Wed, May 8 2013 8:49 AM

Like the design of ruler and also the tutorial.

However when I purchase a tool of that price I really expect some kind of book, or pamphlet showing how to use it.  Many time I purchase a tool and it is months before I actually use it, by that time I'm lost as to the way to use it.  Don't care for guessing games with my quilting tools and fabrics.

Anyone else feel that way???

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,933
Points 125,215

Joni:

Like the design of ruler and also the tutorial. However when I purchase a tool of that price I really expect some kind of book, or pamphlet showing how to use it.  Many time I purchase a tool and it is months before I actually use it, by that time I'm lost as to the way to use it.  Don't care for guessing games with my quilting tools and fabrics.  Anyone else feel that way???

Oh, yes Joni. That is exactly my problem. I TRY to keep instructions on the shelf by my rulers but if there aren't good instructions, I'm also lost.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Page 2 of 3 (41 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use