Page 1 of 3 (41 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 40 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,530
Points 46,505
Debbie-do Posted: Fri, May 3 2013 5:36 PM

A year or so ago I saw this template set demo'd at a quilt show and I almost bought a set but didn't.  Last week someone reminded me of them and with my recent experience with HSTs I've decided it's a must have.  I have a feeling there are more quilts using HSTs in my future!  Watch the demo here: http://www.templatetechniques.com/Video_Tutorial.html

What Dixie doesn't tell you is that the set sells for $20.  You need to call or email your order or buy them at a quilt show that's she's at.  She can probably send you a schedule if you ask.  I'm planning on buying my set Memorial Day weekend in Kerrville, TX  at the quilt show!

She retired last year and closed her quilt shop, Seventh Heaven, in San Antonio, TX. 

Southwest of San Antonio

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Fri, May 3 2013 5:55 PM

I want to buy some......

I'll try emailing her

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 53
Points 1,325
Sara replied on Fri, May 3 2013 7:17 PM

That looks like a fantastic tool and way to do HST's! I will have to see about getting that set. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,035
Points 169,758
Marie replied on Sat, May 4 2013 12:24 PM

Wow!  Debbie-do.  That is amazing!  I have so many rulers in my stash I was wondering if this could be done with what I have.  We all have the 60 degree mark on our rulers now all we'd need is the triangle shape.  What do all you math minded gals and guys out there think?  I know it can be done, just don't know how.

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,530
Points 46,505
Debbie-do replied on Sat, May 4 2013 12:46 PM

Marie:

Wow!  Debbie-do.  That is amazing!  I have so many rulers in my stash I was wondering if this could be done with what I have.  We all have the 60 degree mark on our rulers now all we'd need is the triangle shape.  What do all you math minded gals and guys out there think?  I know it can be done, just don't know how.

Marie, that's exactly how I talked myself out of buying the set last year! I'm just tired of doing all the math and am perfectly happy to let someone else do it for me and provide the tools to do it! LOL There's plenty of other quilting math I can do :o)

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,005
Sandy replied on Sat, May 4 2013 11:06 PM

I have the wonder ruler and really like it a lot

http://www.connectingthreads.com/tools/Wonder_Cut_Ruler____________D81315.html

I think that will take you to the video... if not go to Connecting threads and under tools when you click the wonder ruler it has a video ... it makes as large as 6 1/2 hst, really fast way to do then I think the smallest is 1 inch hst . 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,530
Points 46,505
Debbie-do replied on Sun, May 5 2013 12:14 AM

Well now there's a quandry.  It's late and I probably shouldn't be thinking this hard but ...  I like that there are more sizes available with the Wonder Cut Ruler.  The big difference I see is that Dixie's process sews on the bias line and leaves your blocks with no bias sides.  The Wonder cut has you sewing with the grain therefore all four sides will be bias leaving more room for distortion when sewing.  I would like a tool that's a combination of the two!

Southwest of San Antonio

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,162
Points 15,470
Susan replied on Sun, May 5 2013 8:12 AM

Debbie Do, Im going to try Dixie,s ruler as I do not want to deal with bias edges. Thanks for all the info !  I wont dread making HST anymore. I will be calling in my order asap.     Susan

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,530
Points 46,505

I was just thinking out loud there, Susan... What I said may or may not be accurate... it was late!  LOL  Has anyone else thought it out?

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,371
Points 48,735
Ginny replied on Sun, May 5 2013 8:47 AM

Did any of you dealing with HSTs see MSQC's Jenny doing the hourglass squares?  It deals with making HSTs without a ruler.  I think it is pretty simple.   Ginny

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 423
Points 6,765

Debbie-do:

I was just thinking out loud there, Susan... What I said may or may not be accurate... it was late!  LOL  Has anyone else thought it out?

Debbie, I think out loud all the time, I even answer myself. It keeps the kids on their toes LOL.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,035
Points 169,758
Marie replied on Sun, May 5 2013 9:02 AM

EASY Half Square Triangle Tutorial

Try this link.  I plan on trying this one and will let you know how it turns out.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 615
Points 11,735

What if you did the drawing the lines like Dixie does in her demo, do the sewing and then use the Wonder Cut ruler to cut the triangles? That way you have the idea of not having a bias, but the Wonder cut ruler has only one ruler to keep track of, and lots of sizes? I'm new to the HST, so not sure if that would work? 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,097
Points 24,715
Agnes replied on Sun, May 5 2013 9:22 AM

Marie:

Marie--Thanks. I saved that idea. Looks like the cat's meow for some 10" stacks that need to be used up.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,108
Points 110,275

Marie:

Try this link.  I plan on trying this one and will let you know how it turns out.

So easy! Four at a time and no special rulers to buy. I like that. I think I had these instructions at one time. Thanks for posting the link Marie. I'll add that I have one of the Quilt in a Day rulers for squaring up HST and would use that to make sure they are the right size before pressing them open.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Page 1 of 3 (41 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use