Top 10 Posters

Walking feet????

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 13 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,473 Posts
Points 47,580
Frances posted on Fri, May 3 2013 1:28 PM

Im probably going to seem really silly asking the question, but what do you use walking feet for. Ive only ever used my piecing foot but ive heard walking feet mentioned just not sure what to use if for.

lots of love

Francesxx

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,121 Posts
Points 110,715

Frances. I use my walking foot mainly when putting binding on a quilt. It is good to use when sewing several layers together. It keeps the layers from shifting and puckering when sewing.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,473 Posts
Points 47,580

Thanks Judy,

I will try that next time i do binding it might make it easier.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,002 Posts
Points 13,060
Suggested by Bianca

A walking foot is used for applications on many layers of fabrics. The two extra wide feet lift and move with the feed dogs so that all the pieces of fabric move at the exact time during the stitching process. It is an essential part for sewing any thick fabrics as well as quilted fabrics. I use mine so much, for quilting fabrics to use in handbags, totes, baby bibs and burp cloths, quilts bindings, just about everything to tell the truth. I love it. If you try yours, you will see a much smoother stitch and you will not have the shifting from the bottom fabric. The bar fits over the needle screw, as the stitch is sewn; the bar raises the feet while the feed dogs move along the fabric sandwich. See videos on your manufacture website or on Utube

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,121 Posts
Points 110,715

Frances:

Thanks Judy,

Frances, it does help. I resisted for several years, not wanting to put out the money for a walking foot. Once I started using it, I really saw the difference in my bindings.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
423 Posts
Points 6,765

Judy T-Bellingham:

Frances:

Thanks Judy,

Frances, it does help. I resisted for several years, not wanting to put out the money for a walking foot. Once I started using it, I really saw the difference in my bindings.

My machine came with a special foot for putting binding on. I have not tried it yet. I will let you know how it works, but I do love my walking foot. It is an amazing foot to use. It could do almost everything .....:)

Top 50 Contributor
2,576 Posts
Points 36,085

I used to never use a walking foot until I got my Brother midarm I call it an essential tool for quilting.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 150 Contributor
Female
473 Posts
Points 7,440
Joyce replied on Fri, May 3 2013 4:48 PM

Frances I use a walking foot for the quilting after I layer a quilt.  It is great for stitching in the ditch.  It is sure worth the money and once you use one you will love it if you do much quilting.  Good luck.

Joyce

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,099 Posts
Points 24,755
Agnes replied on Fri, May 3 2013 9:34 PM

I used the walking foot exclusively for years for quilting even though the free motion foot was in the drawer. It was when my second walking foot felt apart from too much use and I couldn't find a replacement that I overcame my fear of FM quilting. I still prefer the walking foot to be quite honest if I do designs that I can create with gentle curves. I originally used it for binding attachment but I no longer find it necessary. Because my machine is an industrial machine none of the universal feet were long enough even if the shank worked. Now I often will secure the layers with a stitch in the ditch in the blocks with the walking foot or sashing edges and then use the free motion foot for the central motifs. I have also used the walking foot when I quilted grids.  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,760 Posts
Points 247,454

Frances, My machine came with a walking foot built in , I use mine for binding , SID, and some quilting ,there are a couple of books out that shows how to use your walking foot for all quilting with straight lines, I'll have to  looks up the name and author for you , she has some beautiful designs ,that are beautiful  on a quilt.  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,473 Posts
Points 47,580

Thank you everyone for the info it really helps.

Barbara, if you could look up those books when you have time i would really appreciate it.

lots of love

Francesxx

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Sat, May 4 2013 10:58 AM

Nancy Zeiman did a nice short piece on the walking foot this am.  After watching that I'm now eager to use my walking foot.  Perhaps I'll give it a try of my pillow top I was going to hand quilt.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,760 Posts
Points 247,454

Frances:

Thank you everyone for the info it really helps.

Barbara, if you could look up those books when you have time i would really appreciate it.

lots of love

Francesxx

Frances , the Name of the books are One line at a Time .by Charlotte Warr Anderson , I know she has a couple under this name . but these are all done with a walking foot.  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,473 Posts
Points 47,580

Thank you Barbara, much appreciated.

lots of love

Francesxx

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use