Top 10 Posters

Basket Block construction

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
5 Posts
Points 100
Joyce posted on Fri, May 3 2013 6:55 AM

I purchased a kit to make a table runner that features 4 basket blocks.  I've cut all the pieces and started piecing them together.  All was well until I went to attach the base or vase to the flowers.  When I stitched those together, my points ended up in the seam line.

So, I increased the size of the two triangles that surrounded the point piece and was able to achieve 1/4 inch of fabric surrounding the point piece.  Beautiful.

Now, as I go to add the base, I find that the diagonal length is a full inch short of what is needed to complete the "square."  

The instructions state that the finished block is 8-inches.  Mine is shaping up to be 9-inches.  I've double and triple checked my piece cutting measurements and my 1/4-inch seams.  

I'm new to quilting... is this a common dilemma with patterns?  Am I okay to keep adjusting?  I realize it will change the entire completed project, which is why I'm writing.  

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Fri, May 3 2013 7:50 AM

HI Joyce,

I am such a visual person that I would need to see a picture of your block.  I don't remember needing to add seam allowances as I go when I'm following a pattern.  THat usually happens when I try it wing it.  Hope to see a pic soon, maybe you misread something in the pattern??

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
436 Posts
Points 7,025
Suggested by Julienne

Joyce,

I follow what the pattern says to cut as that normally has your 1/4 inch seam allowance in it already. But do not mistake that all patterns are correct. I always buy a 1/2 of a yard more than needed in case of mistakes and a need to re-cut a piece or two. If I don't need it I can use it in a table runner later tee hee. So If your points are all matching, use a squaring ruler and trim the block properly to square. Your blocks may be a bit larger then what is in the pattern, but when it is all put together it will look just as beautiful.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
5 Posts
Points 100
Answered (Not Verified) Joyce replied on Fri, May 3 2013 8:16 AM
Suggested by Julienne

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
5 Posts
Points 100
Answered (Not Verified) Joyce replied on Fri, May 3 2013 8:23 AM
Suggested by Julienne

So here's the picture of the basket block.  The two light colored triangles at the bottom had to be adjusted from a 2-7/8" square cut diagonally to a 3-1/4" square so that the point in the middle would not be sewn into the seam allowance.

Because of that, the large triangle that completes the square had to be increased in size to fit.

I am now thinking (since this was a kit and I don't have extra fabric) that I should go back to the original light/dark blocks, rip them apart and trim 1/8-inch off each.

???

Top 150 Contributor
Female
436 Posts
Points 7,025

Joyce:

It really is not bad at all as far as misshapen is concerned. If you have enough fabric you can go with the bigger square. I would just square up the sides. When you sew the blocks together you will still have your 1/4 inch seam and it will still turn out just as beautiful.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
436 Posts
Points 7,025

If you already have every piece cut don't go back and do that.

Not Ranked
Female
5 Posts
Points 100
Joyce replied on Fri, May 3 2013 8:49 AM

The problem now is that if I keep increasing everything to make it fit then I don't have enough fabric.  Actually, I think I can just go back and re-stitch the triangles to make the light/dark block smaller and then remove the original stitching.  Then I can square everything and hopefully be back on track.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Fri, May 3 2013 9:29 PM

delete

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
2,667 Posts
Points 37,590
ls2116 replied on Fri, May 3 2013 11:30 PM

Looks great to me.  But I'm still struggling with the eiths measurements myself so I don't have the answer.

Nana  what did you mean delete?

Quilting My Rainbow

Not Ranked
Female
5 Posts
Points 100
Joyce replied on Sat, May 4 2013 10:30 AM

Ok, found out what went wrong.  I took the block down to the half-square-triangle units that started out as 3-1/4 squares.  I trimmed them all to EXACTLY 2-3/4 inch and was getting ready to head to the machine when I happened to glance down and see instructions that told me to trim them to 2-1/2 inch squares!

I saw the "trim..." before, I just didn't realize it was trimming a whole 1/4-inch off two different sides.

So, rookie mistake.  Thanks to everyone for your input :)

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use