rated by 0 users
This post has 31 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,504
Points 48,110
Frances replied on Thu, May 2 2013 2:22 PM

Sara,

Great job with your first quilt, do you know what you are going to do next.

I dont like either making bindings or attaching them, hey maybe that could be the next group how to do bindings, what to do with bindings and how not to swear at bindings. anyway i digress if i can i but lollipops bindings ive tried others but these seem to be the best that work for me.

lots of love

Francesxx

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 52
Points 845

Beautiful!  And your little girl all snuggled up in love.  Best picture ever.

Robin-Snohomish, WA

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 57
Points 1,405
Sara replied on Thu, May 2 2013 3:58 PM

Frances,

The next quilt is for her brother who will turn 21 in about a month. I already have the fabric and am ready to get started on it. It will be mostly red and black with a little bit of white. :)

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 293
Points 4,535
Mary789 replied on Thu, May 2 2013 5:06 PM

Good job  Sara!  My first quilts were tied quilts.  The first machine quilted items was a bag and a table topper, so you did really good on your daughters quilt.  I have found that all the steps to making a quilt get easier as one progresses.  It will be fun to see your next project :-)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,882
Points 367,022
Kris replied on Thu, May 2 2013 8:52 PM

Patti:
I like doing bindings.  I enjoy the hand work part of it and find it relaxes me.

You would think that since I love hand work I would enjoy hand sewing bindings...not so. I do them by machine with decorative stitches. 

I have a few quilts waiting for bindings. Some day I'll get to them. Perhaps for the UFO challenge.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,770
Points 39,155
ls2116 replied on Thu, May 2 2013 9:08 PM

Sara Your daughter looks so comfy with the beautiful quilt.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, May 3 2013 8:12 AM

Sara, I just saw this thread, I wanted to let you know nice job on your first quilt . It is very pretty . Keep up the great work . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 454
Points 7,250

It is very pretty. Great work too! Keep up the fantastic work.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,294
Points 29,260
Agnes replied on Fri, May 3 2013 8:43 AM

stitcheraz:
Since I make about 30-50 quilts a year, binding is no longer a problem.

I really do believe that binding is easier with every binding put on whether a big quilt or a mug rug. Actually I was binding octagonal mug rugs yesterday and was dreading the join. Each side is only slightly more than 3" and I had no trouble with the join. I eyeball my corners and use no tools and I am turning out beautiful neat bindings, if I do say so myself. It is actually much harder to achieve accuracy with a small item than something as large as a bed quilt. It's just another one of those practice, practice, practice that makes it easier.

By the way a lovely quilt and great for a first attempt. My grandson would not just ask for quilts. If there was something I was working on that he liked he would ask when "his" quilt would be done.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 57
Points 1,405
Sara replied on Fri, May 3 2013 12:14 PM

Thank you everyone for the compliments on my first quilt. I really am happy with how it turned out and still look at it with some disbelief that I am the one that made it! LOL My daughter was sitting on the couch with her quilt last night just checking it out. She seems to really like all the colors. :)  

I bought my first sewing machine in Jan 2012 and quilting was not even on my radar back then. I just wanted to learn how to sew some very basic things. Now I am quilting and a friend and I have started a small organization that sews pillowcases for the pediatric patients at our local hospital and it is called Lotsa Love. Here is a link to our Facebook page if you would like to check it out. We looking for volunteers to sew pillowcases and or donate kid friendly fabric. We are just now setting things up to be able to add chapters of Lotsa Love in other states. Who knew that buying a sewing machine would lead me down this path!! :) 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,556
Points 51,395
Ginny replied on Fri, May 3 2013 12:53 PM

Sara, I am impressed with what a try at sewing has done for you so far.  Keep up the good work.  My quilt group does somewhat similar things.  We make lap quilts, neck rolls hand rolls and whatever else is needed for hospice groups and some of the ladies sew articles of clothing- mostly for little girls with some of the dressy, kid friendly fabrics that are donated to us- often with matching purses. These are generally given to the places that give clothing to the people in need.  We also make tote bags for foster chidlren so they have something to carry their personal things in.    Ginny

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Fri, May 3 2013 1:56 PM

Sara - your first quilt is great and your daughter sure seems to love it.  What is not to love?

I just sent you a message through Facebook about the pillowcase project.  It just dawned on me that you were the one who posted the link to your Facebook page. DUH!

Here is a link http://www.quiltersclubofamerica.com/forums/p/7462/108754.aspx#108754 that should take you to the "hotdog" pillow case tutorial that one of our members Marge (akaDimples) posted for us.  They are so easy.

Good luck with your project and keep up the great creating of quilts.

Marge P

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 57
Points 1,405
Sara replied on Fri, May 3 2013 2:10 PM

Marge,

Thanks for the link for the video tutorial. We have a similar tutorial on our site from the Missouri Star Quilt Company that does that same method for the borders of the pillowcases. It IS super easy. My friend Judy and I are planning on filming a video this weekend on how to make the pillowcases using that method and also one for doing the french seams. We have wanted to post our own video for a while and hope to get it at least filmed this weekend. I am sure editing will take a bit. I will check my Facebook page for your message. 

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 794
Points 12,820

Awwww.  That touched my heart.  This is what it's all about isn't it?

Congrats on your first quilt too.  

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 602
Points 9,590
Joyce replied on Fri, May 3 2013 4:43 PM

Sara I think your qult is very pretty.  You did a great job.  It doesn't matter to your daughter if it has a few puckers.  My daughter always tells me the mistakes make it mine. ha  I can't believe you just took off and made it all by yourself.  You should be very proud of yourself and your quilt.  Your daughter looks so comfy and warm wrapped in that quilt.  Thanks for posting the pics.

Joyce

Page 2 of 3 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use