Page 1 of 3 (32 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 31 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 53
Points 1,325
Sara Posted: Thu, May 2 2013 12:17 PM

I am SO excited that I finally got this done!! It is my first quilt and I did the whole thing myself. I learned that I really enjoy the piecing of the quilt top but I am not real crazy about doing binding. I think I would enjoy the quilting part much better if I had a walking foot. I am proud of the fact that I did this quilt without any formal pattern or instruction. I was given lots of tips from a friend and my SIL's who quilt and also from many of you here. Here are a couple pics of the quilt on my daughter's bed. I purposely made her quilt to just cover the top of her bed and not tuck in on the sides. Thank you everyone who took the time to answer my questions and gave me great advice on how to finish this up. 

Here is my daughter all snuggled up with her new quilt. :)

• | Post Points: 155
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,119
Points 110,645

Sara, that is a beautiful quilt. And your first! Great job. I love the fabrics and your daughter obviously is enjoying it.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 101
Points 1,890

It's so pretty!! Great job!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 53
Points 1,325
Sara replied on Thu, May 2 2013 12:25 PM

Thank you Judy. I wanted something that would have lots of contrast to it and be very visually interesting for her. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,426
Points 72,090
Karla replied on Thu, May 2 2013 12:51 PM

Great job, Sara.  My first quilt was similar to yours for my grandson.  I learned a lot doing that quilt.  He is 8 years old now and still that quilt is on his bed, although it is rather ragged.  I've made him another one, along with quilts for the 3 other grandsons, but this particular grandson just loves Grandma's quilts and whenever I'm working on, he asks if he can have it.  Makes one feel really good to know that someone appreciates the work put into the quilt.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,372
Points 48,740
Ginny replied on Thu, May 2 2013 1:00 PM

Sara, You did a fantastic job on your daughters quilt, and it's obvious that it feels really good to her.     Ginny

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,119
Points 110,645

Karla:
but this particular grandson just loves Grandma's quilts and whenever I'm working on, he asks if he can have it.  Makes one feel really good to know

Karla, how right you are. I only have one grandchild and she's nearly 20 now. She has every quilt I've made her since she was born. Like your grandson she wants every quilt I make. My son has the quilt I made for him when he was 11, he's now 50! It's in tatters but he won't give it up. I made him a new one a few years ago but the old tattered thing is what he grabs when he doesn't feel good. His wife said it's held together literally by threads and she's afraid to wash it.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 423
Points 6,765

Fantastic Quilt!!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 12
Points 60

Beautiful.  She will keep it always.  My mother-in-law (called Granny) made my girls one (they are in their early 40's now) and they still have them today.  When they look at them, it is always with such love.  One gets used quite frequently.  Again very beautiful.  I am still waiting to make my first :-((

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,822
Points 352,462
Kris replied on Thu, May 2 2013 1:38 PM

Sara:
I am SO excited that I finally got this done!! It is my first quilt and I did the whole thing myself.

It's beautiful Sara. You did a fantastic job.

Sara:
Here is my daughter all snuggled up with her new quilt. :)

Just precious. Thanks for sharing that photo.

Sara:
I learned that I really enjoy the piecing of the quilt top but I am not real crazy about doing binding.

Same here. After 12 years of quilting I still don't like bindings.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,119
Points 110,645

Kris:
Same here. After 12 years of quilting I still don't like bindings.

You know why I look forward to the bindings? It means the quilt is about finished!  LOL But, no, I don't enjoy putting them on. Once I started using a walking foot, it did make it easier. But still not fun. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,384
Points 119,271
Patti replied on Thu, May 2 2013 1:52 PM

Great quilt Sara, and obviously well loved.  I can't believe it is your first one. 

I like doing bindings.  I enjoy the hand work part of it and find it relaxes me.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 76
Points 1,180

I used to dread bindings as well until a shop owner suggested stay-stitching along the outside edges before I attached the binding.  On that quilt, it was to eliminate stretching, but I tried it on some others and it made putting the binding on easy.  I move the stitching so it is about 1/8 inch away from the edge and stitch all four sides before I trim the batting and backing.  Then I trim before adding the binding.  I know there are lots who wait to trim, and it would be just as effective.  You're adding binding to a stable sandwich edge.  I stop two inches before the corner, fold the miter, mark it, stitch to the line, pivot and go off the corner.  Then I finish the corner fold, and stitch from the edge until two inches before the next corner, etc.  I use F&P binding tool to finish attaching the binding.  I still hand sew the back, but that's personal preference.  Since I make about 30-50 quilts a year, binding is no longer a problem.

stitcheraz

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,195
Points 24,070

Sara, what a great job first time out, I love it

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 53
Points 1,325
Sara replied on Thu, May 2 2013 2:14 PM

I made fleece blankets for both my son and daughter years ago...the kind you tie the edges. I know my son still uses his all the time. He used the first a bunch and requested a second one because he got so tall and the first one was too short. :) I know she will get lots of use out of her quilt. I keep looking at it thinking "Wow! I can't believe it is finished and that I MADE IT!" LOL :)

seriously need to invest in a walking foot for my machine. I didn't seem to have too much trouble with the binding without a walking foot but I do have lots of puckers on the front and back of her quilt since I didn't have one for when I was stitching the ditch to quilt it. Oh well! It is a first and has been a great learning experience and I know my quilts will get better and better each time. I did enjoy the binding part to a degree because it meant I was on the final step of the quilt. The corners were tough for me but I found a couple YouTube videos that explain how to fold the fabric in the corners much better so I think I will be able to get the hang of it with more practice.

Thank you all for the kind words. :) 

Page 1 of 3 (32 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use