Beginner Applique

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 225
Jessica Posted: Thu, May 2 2013 10:14 AM

First and foremost, I just want to say that this site is amazing! Everyone is very welcoming and very helpful! I posted a thread a few days ago where I questioned how to add an applique piece to a quilt without the back showing through and received a lot of great advice. I have finally figured out exactly what it is I want to do, but the most important piece is, I have NEVER done applique before! What I want to do is machine applique a logo to the front of a quilt, but I'm not sure where to start or the materials that I need to get started (aside from fabric). Does anyone know of any good youtube vidoes or websites that I can visit that will explain  everything that I need to know to get started? I am the type of person who likes to just jump in and try new things, but I also like to THOROUGHLY research it first so I don't feel like I'm going to mess it up entirely. I know that I will make mistakes as a beginner, but I don't want to ruin my projects entirely. Thank you for all of your help and advice in advance.

Jess

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,344
Points 414,814
gini replied on Fri, May 3 2013 7:36 PM

Jess,  I can't look it up right now, but one way is to use a fusible to hold it to the background and run use a buttonhole stitch to hold it down.  I like to use a smaller and close together stitch.   This isn't the best method to secure the edges, bit it is the easiest.   There are several ways to turn under the edges, one is with freezer paper and glue, and securing with a button hole stitch.  Hopefully someone can find a good video for you.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,664
Points 37,515
ls2116 replied on Fri, May 3 2013 11:10 PM

Don't know a video but i'd thought tell ya to use a stabilizer under a satin stitch applique just in case you didn't know to.  good luck with your project.

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Sat, May 11 2013 11:30 PM

You can probably google machine applique and find the videos you are looking for.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 7
Points 160
GinnyQ replied on Wed, Oct 23 2013 2:42 PM

Hi.  I'm making a quilt for my sister's 60th birthday and it involves a lot of appliqued words (individual letters).  I used EZ-Steam one sided pressure sensitive fusible web to attach the letters.  It says the bond is permanent and it seems very fused (unlike my last project with cheaper web).  I really would like to not stitch all around each letter.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  Do you think I dare leave it with not stitching?  

Sorry to tag on here, but I'm new and not sure how to start my own question.  :)  GinnyQ

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use