Shrunken quilt

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
112 Posts
Points 1,975
Ibuiltaquilt posted on Wed, May 1 2013 10:51 PM

I made a quilt recently - all fabric was prewashed. I didn't prewash the batting because.. I never heard of doing that. I decided to wash it before I gave it to my sister because she has two young kids and knew she would eventually wash it. It shrunk or bunched up to half it's size! I did a really simple quilting design, outlining blocks stitch in the ditch style. And it's wool batting. It's from a giant roll so there were no directions. I suppose that's why..? I put it on the most gentle cycle and cold water, little detergent, no dryer. It's hanging on the rack now. I'm just so confused and disappointed. The quilt top is in tact. So I'll just have a lot of seam ripping of the quilting to do. Anyone have any ideas of what exactly went wrong or is it not so straight forward. Thanks ahead of time.

• | Post Points: 50

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,467 Posts
Points 416,899
Answered (Verified) gini replied on Thu, May 2 2013 12:57 PM
Verified by Ibuiltaquilt

There is a recommended distance for quilting stitches.   If you quilted within those recommendations, the shrinkage may have been less noticeable.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 25

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,788 Posts
Points 122,730

I'm no expert so can't really help you. I'm one of those who never prewash fabrics. You'll find two schools of thought on that. My quilts do shrink but just enough to give it a lovely, soft, crinkly look. I don't use wool batting, I use the cotton stuff.  

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,578 Posts
Points 51,700
Ginny replied on Thu, May 2 2013 7:28 AM

I can guarantee it was the wool batting.  Have you ever washed a wool sweater?  Even in cold water it needs to be restretched into size while still wet.   Wool is not good for a quilt that is going to get a lot of washing, unless you want the shrinkage that occurs.  I have a wool comforter that I take the cover off of and sendit to the woolen mil to have it washed and recarded.  Not a cheap venture by any means. I'm sorry that you learned the hard way.    Ginny

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,727 Posts
Points 437,060
Nana replied on Thu, May 2 2013 12:03 PM

The only wool batting that I will use is made by Quilter's Dream and is preshrunk and machine washable.   Most wools aren't machine washable.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
112 Posts
Points 1,975

Thanks everybody! Guess I'm really glad I didn't try to do intense quilting on this one - ripping project Hello! and he'll get it in December instead. He's too young to read the label anyways. :)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,467 Posts
Points 416,899
Answered (Verified) gini replied on Thu, May 2 2013 12:57 PM
Verified by Ibuiltaquilt

There is a recommended distance for quilting stitches.   If you quilted within those recommendations, the shrinkage may have been less noticeable.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 25
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use