Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 18
Points 640
tidesout Posted: Wed, May 1 2013 3:05 PM

I have been taking advantage of some of the classes offered on Craftsy.  Leah Day and Angela Walters both do a terrific job teaching the classes they offer.  I have learned a lot about free motion quilting com them. Anyone else taken a notable class?

• | Post Points: 110
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,426
Points 72,090
Karla replied on Wed, May 1 2013 6:45 PM

I took the paper piecing class and it was pretty good.  I made two small quilts using instructions from the class.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Wed, May 1 2013 7:48 PM

Tidesout ,I must have at least 10 or 12  classes ,I've signed up for , one day I'll get to all of them ,but I know they are there when I need them. I have never had a bad class from  Crafsty.  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Wed, May 1 2013 8:00 PM

I second that, Barbara, and I have explored out side of quilting classes and have bought knitting ones and have loved every one of them too.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,149
Points 15,745
Erin replied on Wed, May 1 2013 8:32 PM

I have Carol Doak's paper piecing class and then BOM 2012 and 2013 from other instructors...I really like them all. I've only watched Leah Day on YouTube so far.

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,220
Points 41,005
Donna B replied on Wed, May 1 2013 9:28 PM

Taa Daa, I am signed up for 24 classes on Craftsy!  But, at least 7 of them were free...including the 2 BOM classes for 2012 & 2013.  I have enjoyed them all and have learned something from every one of them.  I have watched most of them all the way through, but have not done all the class projects yet.  I will as time permits.   I think all the classes I have purchased have been at reduced prices or on a special or some kind or another.

The latest one I purchased was "The Art of Cloth Dyeing".  I had tried snow dyeing fabric last winter and this had a lot of information to answer questions we had about how the dye was reacting for us.

So, I would say I LOVE Craftsy! 

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,819
Points 352,402
Kris replied on Wed, May 1 2013 11:54 PM

I'm in a few Craftsy classes as well.

I really wish they would go back to letting us preview the intro so I could get a feel for the instructor. I recently signed up for a non sewing class and the instructor is driving me nuts. He says ah after every word like he doesn't know that to say next. I might ask for a refund.

Other than that I've enjoyed the ones I've actually looked at. The only projects I've made have been from the knitting class. I like Stephanie Japel a lot.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,401
Points 45,170

I have taken several of the classes and enjoyed them. I agree with Kris, some of the teachers do not have a good  camera presence. I made the first free BOM, but couldn't get into the second. I loved Leah Day's quilting class on the first BOM. She revolutionized my machine quilting. She used the same machine I do. I have had more problems with the thread breaking than you can imagine. I tried every thread anyone suggested, tinkered with the machine myself and took it back to the dealer. Nothing worked. On one of Leah's classes she said she only uses Isacord poly thread. I immediately ordered some and am thrilled to say that it has never broken while FMQ. I know many wouldn't use poly, but it saved my quilting.  I can use cotton for piecing with no problem, but the FMQ with cotton thread just didn't work on MY machine. I like the fact that we can go back and look at the classes as often as we like. So far I have only done quilting classes, but maybe in the future I will venture out to something else.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 18
Points 640

Thanks for telling me that you like the Isacord.  I have the same machine as Leal also, and have had thread breaking problems.  I will look into getting some of the Isacord.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,576
Points 36,070
ls2116 replied on Thu, May 2 2013 9:18 PM

I haven't taken classes yet I think thats my problem.  

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,220
Points 41,005
Donna B replied on Thu, May 2 2013 9:55 PM

tidesout:

Thanks for telling me that you like the Isacord.  I have the same machine as Leal also, and have had thread breaking problems.  I will look into getting some of the Isacord.

I have two Berninas and was advised to use Isacord thread for embroidery and FMQ when I bought the first one.  I have never had a problem with it...in fact I really love Isacord's 40 weight poly thread.  If you watch, you can get it cheaper on the internet than from your LQS.  I buy most of my spools once a year when it's on sale from a supplier with a much reduced price.  I also buy the large spools of blender colors for my embroidery bobbins (lt & dk beige, lt & dk gray, etc.) and I have been known to use Isacord for my piecing too.

Winthrop, WA

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 45
Quilty56 replied on Mon, May 13 2013 10:09 PM

I love online classes, Quilt alongs and YouTube tutorials.  I use my iPad right at my sewing table.  I found the handiest stand for it that clamps to my sewing table.  I can stop pause restart and sew right along with the video.  Found it at www.quiltmatepro.com.  I love the Missouri Quilt Company YouTube tutorials.  And they are free!

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 425
CindyA replied on Mon, Jul 8 2013 10:21 AM

I've just about completed one of the quilting courses on Craftsy....got interrupted by wanting to try out a technique for making pinwheels that I had just learned. :D

Cindy

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 145

I agree about using the poly thread.  I switched to Superior Threads poly and it works great.  

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 145

I love Craftsy classes as well as tutorials from MSQC.  I am going to check out the ipad stand to see if it something that will work for me.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use