rotary cutters

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
3 Posts
Points 105
Read or Sew posted on Wed, May 1 2013 2:00 PM

I have 2 different brands of rotary cutters but the same problem with both.  The nut that holds all the pieces together falls off after using it for several cuts.  As it loosens my cutting lines wobble so I know its coming apart.  Any suggestions as to this problem.  

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,927 Posts
Points 125,065

Read or Sew:

I have 2 different brands of rotary cutters but the same problem with both.  The nut that holds all the pieces together falls off after using it for several cuts.  As it loosens my cutting lines wobble so I know its coming apart.  Any suggestions as to this problem.  

What are the brands? I had terrible trouble with both  Martelli and the True Cut My Comfort cutter. I got rid of both of them. I love my Fiskars and have it in three sizes.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,830 Posts
Points 248,779

I have two that I love , One is the Gingher rotary cutter, this one is expensive if you get it a a quilt shop ,but I got mine on E-Bay for 12.00. then one is my F&P rotary cutter .I love this one and use it all the time , I have no problems  with the nut on either one of these.. .Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,221 Posts
Points 41,055

By chance are you left-handed?  I have the same problem and have wondered if that could have anything to do with it.  

I don't really see why, but so many things do not work the same way for us lefties, that it has come to mind...

I just tighten the nut every little bit to keep it tight...it's become a habit for me.

Winthrop, WA

Not Ranked
Female
3 Posts
Points 105

Thank for the help.  Yes I am left handed, not sure why that would make a difference as both cutters say they are for either hand. I have a fiskers and an olfa.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,927 Posts
Points 125,065

Read or Sew:
I have a fiskers and an olfa.

I love my Fiskers and the Olfa I have (somewhere) never gave me a moment of problems. I wonder if being left handed you put more pressure on a part that us right handers don't?

Interesting.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 20

When you change the blade, or when you; change the blade from righty to lefty, do you put everything mirror image?  I believe there is a thin washer type thing and maybe that needs to be put on differently.    Just a thought.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,221 Posts
Points 41,055

Judy T-Bellingham:

Read or Sew:
I have a fiskers and an olfa.

I love my Fiskers and the Olfa I have (somewhere) never gave me a moment of problems. I wonder if being left handed you put more pressure on a part that us right handers don't?

Interesting.

I also think its a pressure issue...the way a lefty applies pressure to the nut apparently tends to release it.

Winthrop, WA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
505 Posts
Points 10,210

ARDIEO:

When you change the blade, or when you; change the blade from righty to lefty, do you put everything mirror image?  I believe there is a thin washer type thing and maybe that needs to be put on differently.    Just a thought.

That's what I am thinking...maybe the locking washer is not on right?

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Not Ranked
Female
57 Posts
Points 1,405
Sara replied on Fri, May 3 2013 12:35 PM

Read or Sew:

Thank for the help.  Yes I am left handed, not sure why that would make a difference as both cutters say they are for either hand. I have a fiskers and an olfa.

I too am a lefty and I use Fiskers rotary cutters. I had one I used forever and loved it. I bought another one that was a bigger size and hated it at first. That is till the blade fell off while I was cutting fabric one day. Then I put the blade back on using my other one as a guide and all of a sudden I loved my cutter! The problem...the blade was on the wrong side of the cutter for me. If you are holding the cutter in the your hand ready to cut, I have found that the blade needs to be on the right side of the cutter. Before my blade fell off it had been on the left side of the cutter. This made it feel very awkward to me when I was using it and like I couldn't apply the right amount of pressure when cutting fabric. So, try switching the blade to the other side of the cutter and see if that helps. Also, my blade hasn't fallen off once since doing this. I would suggest trying to remember to tighten the nut a little every once in a while though just to be safe. HTH! 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use