Page 2 of 3 (35 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 34 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 331
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Thu, May 2 2013 1:30 PM

Wow, Nana, it sure sounds like this can get to be really serious.  If I didn't have to come to work this week, I too would have sat on the couch and vegged out to the drone of the tv, not really paying much attention to anything.  That's what I feel like doing.  Extremely uncharacteristic of me.  I am usually constantly doing something.  I never sit and do nothing but watch tv.  I usually have something going on in my hands even if I'm trying to watch a movie. 

My partner, Jim, also tried Chantix and it gave him suicidal thoughts.  It doesn't seem like a good medication to me.  Unfortunately he still smokes, but I think that is better than being dead.  I would encourage you to stop that medication but hopefully you have had enough that it will allow you to quit any way.  His symptoms came on immediately, but he is on other serious pain medication, on top of heart medicine and the usual high blood pressure among other stuff.  He regularly takes 11 medications a day.  All from heart attack, aortic aneurism and COPD.  Of course he shouldn't smoke, but I would rather have him alive and smoking than dead and not.

I am hoping to overcome this without meds, but I fear that others here are probably right.  I am likely beginning the change and the additional stresses in my life have kicked this depression off in a strong way.  If it will make me feel better, I would consider the hormone therapy, I simply can't fathom living this way without any hope of recovery for years to come.

Unfortunately I am also in the midst of changing health insurance policies.  I fear no doctor appointment should be made until it changes over which will be June 1st.  UGH, I sure hope I can naturally swing out of this before then!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,881
Points 40,565
ls2116 replied on Thu, May 2 2013 3:00 PM

Jenia hang in there when you least expect a pick me up it will happen.  I think its leftover doldrums from winter.  Could be the change though.

Nana Things are better with your DH I hope and do heed the cautions with that med I've been tempted to ask dr about it but I'm still in denial I think as I smoke and just been diagnosed with copd but not taking any med for it now.  Just my bp med and ulcer.

As for slumps we all get them from time to time.

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 69
Points 1,580

Jenia:
Anyway, I didn't know thyroid dealt with emotional issues.  How so?  Please help me understand because it never occurred to me to even think about that.   Perhaps if it is thyroid those pesky pounds would come off if I needed medication?

When my thyroid went bonkers, I was already gaining weight. The meds didn't help that, but they helped all the other stuff: super dry skin, excessive hair fall, complete lack of energy, lack of interest in anything other than imitating vegetable matter, inability to control my body temperature (I was always cold when everyone else was hot. Then came the Divine Ms M - menopause- and I couldn't cool off!). Get your thyroid checked - it's a simple blood test- and while you're at it you can ask for a test to determine hormone levels to determine if you are peri-menopausal. One more piece of advice: get outside. get your hands in the dirt, wiggle your bare toes in the grass, take a walk. There's nothing like spending a little time with Mother Nature to ground you & help you get back to yourself. Hope you feel better soon!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 331
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Thu, May 2 2013 4:22 PM

I actually tried the outdoor thing Monday.  I rode my bike to work, like I usually do 3 times a week.  It has been the one and ONLY time I did it this week - I didn't want to repeat my Monday adventure.  By the end of the day I was absolutely dreading my ride home!  I didn't think I could muster up the energy.  I did, and when I got home I pooped out in the easy chair and didn't get up until after the 10:00 news!  Horribly not me!  I usually LOVE my bicycle rides.  When I got here Monday morning, I was totally out of breath, feeling sluggish and very scary, my arms were tingly.  I think I rode the entire 6 miles in tense mode - all hunched up and grabbing the handle bars with all my might!  

I usually easily make it to work and back without any difficulty whatsoever.  I used to do long-distance cycle-camping with my dog and camping gear in tow ON my bike so the 6 miles back/forth to work are usually easy and fun for me.   The ride home was a little bit better, but I was super tired and again passed out in the chair without even making dinner or even doing the dishes (another pet peeve of mine - I hate dishes in the sink). I can care less right now!

I live in New Mexico, so I always have dry skin, it's not exceptionally so, but I always use lotion any way.  I don't think I'm losing hair, then again I am cleaning out the shower drain every time I shower and I never did that before?  hmmmm...I am more and more convinced there is something wrong with me that's not just mental!  I think I should make that doctor appointment sooner than later.  Perhaps I should begin with my current health insurance plan and then hopefully everything will switch over when the new stuff kicks in June 1st.  I had all this checked about 3 years ago, but only because my primary care physician said I should at the age of 45, not because of any particular symptoms. 

I don't regularly go to a doctor, I have never been sick much in my life except for a bout of cervical cancer at the age of 37 which gave me an early hysterectomy, but they got it all at stage 0.  I have not had any recurrence and after 5 years of semi-annual checkups they told me not to worry about that any more.  I still have the ovaries, so the change is still a possibility.  They did that so I wouldn't go through this way back then I suppose.

You know it's actually overdue for all that ladylike checkup stuff anyway.  Mammogram, etc.  I think I will get it all done asap!  You guys may have just saved me a month of misery! I have insurance either way I need to use it.

Thank you all so much for your encouragement!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,609
Points 52,070
Ginny replied on Thu, May 2 2013 5:08 PM

Jenia, I am glad you woke up to the fact you need a checkup, and be certain to mention the things that you are feeling heath-wise.  I agree you need the checkup sooner rather than later.   Good luck.     Ginny

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,881
Points 40,565
ls2116 replied on Fri, May 3 2013 11:41 PM

I've been wondering about night sweats if it could be an indicator of sugar problems.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,468
Points 41,125
Mimi replied on Sat, May 4 2013 8:40 AM

Is,

I don't know about others but I do know my two triggers for more hot flashes are sugar and caffeine.  Been "friend free" for about 7 years now but still have the flashes more frequently when I eat high sugar and caffeinated foods.  Also I just wear cotton clothing.  The polyester, rayon, synthetic clothing triggers more with me too.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 331
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Sat, May 4 2013 10:04 AM

I typically don't eat much sugar, but I do have a pretty good sweet tooth.  While on vacation, I did eat huge amounts, for me,  as n any road trip while driving in the car I drank diet Mountain Dew, but ate many candy bars, lots of sweet tarts, and Granny always makes me a very specially yummy strawberry cake!  I can't disappoint Granny and not eat her cake, haha!  I had a piece of cake every day while we were gone!  Not something I would usually indulge in.  But this was now more than a week ago and I'm still feeling symptoms.

i have been taking Bayer  back and body aspirin every morning because I did most of,the driving on the way home and developed a nagging back ache.  This is not something new, but they are fairly strong and have caffein in them.  I have taken them before occasionally in the morning, but this week I seemed to need them every day, just to get my butt out of bed.  

Another symptom I just developed last night is a deep stomach ache.  It feels like the pit of my stomach has a whole in it, I didn't  take the aspirin this morning thinking that might be the cause, but it still hurts.  I wonder if this all stress related?  I have usually handled stress easily and don't easily get upset or worried bout things I cannot change.  

I have finally found my usual joy from my pets.  I am usually overboard with love for them, that are my babies.  The first part of the week, I was not even caring for them in my usual way which is to spoil them rotten!  Our cat crawled up in my lap Thursday and my heart melted I was kind of overcome with emotion  for him and I realized how this slump was affecting him and my three dogs.  Of course I moved from one pet t the other, with an outpouring of love that they are typically used to.  Was that a mood swing, or just me feleng guilty about not showing them the affection they are used to.

I also broke out in tears, or found myself holding them back, while driving in my car last night.  It wasn't a particularly sad song on the radio, Louisiana Rain, by Tom Petty...so it wasn't lyrics  that can sometimes se me off.   I realized at that time, that it was probably a mood swing and tried to set it aside and not allow it to get me down.  Should I do this, or should I just let the tears fall?  If it was hormones, would I even be able to hold back the emotions.  Could holding back the tears have caused my stomach ache?  It definitely developed about the same time.

It's really nice to be able to jot all this down, with Jim being so sick and unhealthy I don't even like talking about my symptoms because he has enought to worry about with him and honestly so do I.  So to be able to legit all out here on the page actually helps me more than you can imagine.  Thank you all so much for listening and offering up such great advise.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,592
Points 75,980
Karla replied on Sat, May 4 2013 9:13 PM

During the change I found myself crying over anything and everything without any provocation.  I can still get very emotional, but I hear it is not unusual to be overly emotional during the "change".

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,511
Points 417,549
gini replied on Sun, May 5 2013 3:52 PM

Sam never knew whether I would greet him with "hi honey, how was your day?", or rip his head off when he walked in the door.   He started tossing a hard hat through the door before he entered to see which way the wind was blowing.

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,881
Points 40,565
ls2116 replied on Sun, May 5 2013 6:05 PM

Good one Gini I think my DH does the same thing.  Now I have to go back outside and pull more weeds from flower veggie garden.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 331
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Tue, May 7 2013 4:00 AM

Wanted to let you all know, I'm once again excited about sewing and my current project.  

The blues have left the building, however I am still uncharacteristically snappy to poor Jim.  I immediately apologize to him when I hear myself bark at him, I feel horrible about that.  He doesn't deserve to be barked at and I hate the words that come out immediately!  Maybe these will

I tried to make the doctor appointment, but earliest date was gong to be June 13th which is after my new insurance will kick in.  So, I will wait until I know who my new providers will be and will make the appointment after June 1st. I will definitely follow through on this, I don't want to live with the snappy mouth.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Tue, May 7 2013 4:45 AM

Glad you are doing better Jenia.  But what are you doing up at 2:00?  Sleep disturbance, and appetite disturbance (different than a person's normal), and irritability are all signs of depression.  Anti-depressants really help me, as my husband would tell you. 

depression is the common cold of "mental disorders, " but perhaps misnamed as it appears now that it is really a physical/chemical disorder with emotional symptoms.  Which is why medications sometimes work.   They just don't know how to tell which one, so it is a bit of trial and error. 

However you are on the mend as you are enjoying again activities that give you pleasure.

So what am I doing awake?   After a few years I again have normal sleep, but it was way too much coffee,  too late yesterday.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 505
Points 10,210
tnmtgrl replied on Tue, May 7 2013 7:28 AM

Nana:

Jenia

I have had issues with clinical depression for several years.   In fact I am dealing with a really diabilitating slump right now.   I have to force myself to get out of bed and then don't want to do anything but set on the couch.   It is so hard to fight these slumps but it is doable.   You just have to realize what is going on and try to do something more each day.   I personally haven't made it yet.   I too haven't been able to set down at my machine and work on anything.   I usually sew for hours everyday.   I know that mine started with the stress of my DH's heart attack and I think the Chantix to help stop smoking is making it worse.   I may have to stop the Chantix if things don't get better soon.

I do suggest if this continues that you see your Dr.   It is no fun feeling like this.   It always hits me like a brick wall too.   Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

Nana...I had to reply to this after reading this thread....We had a neighbor who was taking Chantix and became sooo depressed after starting on it that he committed suicide...PLEASE anyone using this drug get off of it now it is so bad...please please please!!

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 331
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Tue, May 7 2013 10:06 AM

Ah, Patti, you noticed my post time - to be honest it was 3:00 a.m. my time! 

A long time ago I gave up on worrying about lack of sleep.  If I have a night that I cannot sleep, I just get up and do something.  I feel that my body is telling me not to lay around any more.  As mentioned earlier in this thread I actually worry more about too much sleep than not enough.  Sometimes I feel that sleeping during the weekend is wasting my time off (lol).  It's my philosophy that the longer I stay awake the longer I get to have experiences on my weekend, right? 

I quite often (literally) do all-nighter's  when I am deep into a project and don't want to stop (weekends only).  Sometimes I really stretch my bed time during the week too.  Sleep is just something that has never been too important to me.    That's why the lack of interest and constant sleep I was experiencing last week concerned me so much - it was highly out of character for me.

I absolutely know that this is counter-intuitive.  Most people like to catch up on sleep during the weekends.

I definitely think something is up with me physically.  I think it could be stress or hormone issues.  What concerns me most at this point (now that I'm not a complete zombie) is the mood swings and irritability.  I really hate being that way.  It's not like me to snap at anyone, I'm usually very long in the fuse department and usually things don't get to me.  I feel absolutely horrible every time I snap at Jim, poor guy really is a gem and treats me extremely well, he does not deserve this abuse.

Page 2 of 3 (35 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use