Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 34 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 331
Points 5,860
Jenia Posted: Wed, May 1 2013 12:08 PM

This is the first time I have experienced this in my entire life.  Is it midlife crisis hitting without any warning whatsoever?  I'm 48 and have always been gun-ho and lively, I love my work, love my hobbies and always throw myself full throttle into things.

After returning from vacation this past week, nothing is interesting to me...absolutely nothing. 

I'm not even looking forward to sewing!  My quilt sits unworked on, the housework stays undone, work is slacking, and I have no interest in the house repairs we need to do so badly.  What is going on here?

Has anyone experienced this blah ho-hum feeling, and especially after a vacation, shouldn't I be feeling more charged up than before?  hmmmm...did my hormones just hit the dirt without any warning?  Is this normal for the change?  Isn't it too early for me? 

Sorry to be off topic, but I feel guilty not working on anything at all especially my quilting!

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Wed, May 1 2013 6:41 PM

I don't think it is too early for the change as the hormones start slacking off a little by little.  It could very well be caused by that, watch for mood swings and hot flashes.  It could also just be a let down after the joy and/or excitement of a vacation.  I often come home from vacation more mentally and physically exhausted than when I left.  If you don't get back to normal in a few weeks, you might want to check with your doctor,

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,225
Points 16,490
Susan replied on Wed, May 1 2013 7:11 PM

Jenia, I ditto everything Karla said!!!      Hope you are back to normal soon!           Susan

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,842
Points 248,959
Barbara replied on Wed, May 1 2013 7:43 PM

Jenia, I agree also with what Karla said,  I start going thru Menopause at just about your age,  Just go ahead and take alittle time away . it won't hurt.  Or try something new  with bright pretty flowers , make some easy things , table runners ,and potholders , things you can whip up real fast . it Always helps me.  

Another really nice thing  to just do for yourself ,go get a manicure ad pedicure , they always make me feel pampered and so pretty.  Try a wild color you would never ever thought you be seen in .. shock em ' all .. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Wed, May 1 2013 7:45 PM

Hi Jenia,

Sometimes we just need to take a break from all the hustle bustle we experience in our everyday lives.  Maybe your vacation had something to do with it.  No matter what the cause, my belief is to listen to your body and just zone for a while if that is what it's asking of you.  I experienced something similar and now that you mention it maybe it had to do with hormonal changes, but I started knitting and crocheting again, I just needed a break from my quilting routine.  I have been off this forum for a while as a result and am now getting back into my quilting again.  It's kind of like "absence makes the heart grow fonder".  Sorry to ramble, hope all goes well.  I love my primary doctor and went to him when I started feeling down, he helped a lot too.

keep us posted 

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 331
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Wed, May 1 2013 9:04 PM

Thank you all for your thoughtful comments.  I am a bit concerned because I have never experienced so man days of the dull drums before in my life.  Every now and then I would feel down, but hobbies and even work would always pull me back to my chipper self.  

I will definitely head the advise and see a doc if it continues longer than a week or two, I can't imagine life this way!  It's just so shocking that it hit me like a brick wall so suddenly. 

I understand the need to take a break from the every day routine, but I have so much going on in my life, I really never get a break.  My partner, Jim, got some kind of bite n his foot while we were away and his foot swelled to 4 times its normal size and got beet red.  Still, after two trips to the hospital, X-rays, MRI, EKG, blood work, they have no clue what it is!  Finally with super duty antibiotics the swellingis down but the redness persists.  Docs say antibiotics are working, but it still looks awfully painful to me.  

To top everything off today I get a call from my tenants in my rental house that they want out of their lease!  Can that come at any worse a time?  

I have decided to have a drink or two this evening and funny thing is I'm feeling better, haha!  Just kidding, I am havinga drink to ease the tension, but it's really not much better just a little edge off.  Promise I won't go overboard on a week night.

Any way, I'm actually sitting at my sewing desk as I speak, hopefully going to do a little bit which will keep me from drinking any more, so no worries there.  Wish me luck, I hope doing something positive on my project will motivate me to get out of this slump and de-stress!  

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 112
Points 1,975

I agree with Annie. My mum always says, if that's what you feel you need to do then its ok! Like the days when I just want to watch tv for 6 hrs straight..she says, obviously your mind and body needed a break! I'd stay away from that tho. Try going for walks in parks you've never been before or calling a friend you haven't talked to in a while. Stimulate your mind. Hope you feel better soon. Keep us posted. :)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,402
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Thu, May 2 2013 8:40 AM

sometimes music will help me get out of a slump. 

The hardest thing can just be getting out of the chair.

By the way, have you had your thyroid checked recently?

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625

Sometimes you just need a break.  Relax and understand that you'll get back into the things you love to do when your ready.  To force fun takes the fun out of it. I/m talking about quilting, housework will keep.  Forever. I can remember the energy I had when I was younger, having three kids at home,  getting ready to camp every weekend, working  everyday, keeping house. Then it was easy, now unthinkable.

Excuse me, I have to go lay down.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 331
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Thu, May 2 2013 9:28 AM

Well, I basted the pieces I already had placed on my project, but adding a new section just was not in the cards for me.  As soon as I was done with that easy stuff, I just didn't have the creative ability to place more pieces.  It's so discouraging, that used to be my favorite part!  I was so excited to create the next section and this time I would finish the last row, how horribly depressing it seems.

When I was done with the basting, I checked on Jim and his foot.  He was watching an old western which I wanted to finish watching (again not like me at all!)  So I vegged out until I fell asleep (again early) right before the ending.  Woke up 15 minutes later and was so disappointed I didn't get to see the end.  Typically I could care less about tv.  I just feel so out of my normal.

I have never had a thyroid problem, I thought that always had to do with weight.  Nothing (sadly) has changed in that department.  I could use to lose about 20 pounds, even though most doctors would say I'm ok, I feel heavy.  I gained 20 pounds when I met Jim about 6 years ago at the age 42 and have never been able to lose it.  I was probably underweight at the time I met him, but I did feel healthier then.  During this time I was commuting 75 miles one-way (1.5 hours each way) to work 4 days a week, that is the worst possible thing you can do for yourself.  I did that for 4 years!  When I moved closer to work and could ride my bike to work as much as possible I feel much better about myself now, but that weight problem is still there.  If I am true to myself I probably gained 30 pounds at the height of the commute, and have lost 10 since moving closer.  I'm hoping getting the swimming pool up and running this year will help me tone up and stay in better shape.  Even if I just lost 15 of those 20 pounds I know I would be healthier.

Anyway, I didn't know thyroid dealt with emotional issues.  How so?  Please help me understand because it never occurred to me to even think about that.   Perhaps if it is thyroid those pesky pounds would come off if I needed medication? 

Someone also mentioned hot flashes.  Do they come only at night?  Even in our 90 degree weather here I have been extremely cold during the day, but for the past few nights I have been hot and cold all night long.  Tossing and turning and not being able to get a regulated temperature.  Typically I am cold natured and always freezing when most people think it's hot.  80 degrees and sunny is perfectly comfy for me!  Anything under 80 and I am wearing long sleeves, pants and socks!  If that is thyroid then I have had it all my life.  This night sweat thing is something totally new to me.  Is that hot flashes?

Thank you all so much for you help.  It really means the world to me!  It's so great to be able to share these issues with people who might know what I am talking about.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,842
Points 248,959
Barbara replied on Thu, May 2 2013 9:34 AM

Jenia ,  again I'm going to say ,it sounds to me like you are starting to go thru the change. Talk to your Doctor, you may just need a mild anti- depressant ,,Hot flashes can happen at any time day or night, I still have them now and then and believe me I'm way older then you .. Just hang in there you'll get thru this ,  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Thu, May 2 2013 10:13 AM

My hot flashes occurred (and still do from time to time) at night.  I would immediately be throwing off the blankets and turning on the fan.  30 minutes later I would be cold and searching for the blankets I had thrown off....drove my DH absolutely crazy.

I have thyroid problems, it seems to have quit working when menopause set in.  I take thyroid medication, didn't help me lose weight, but did help with other symptoms, the sluggishness, etc.  See a doctor.  I refused hormone therapy because I had heard of bad side effects, but I'm now through the worst of it...it's been 15 years and occasionally I still get a hot flash, but at least the mood swings seem to be a thing of the past.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Thu, May 2 2013 11:40 AM

Jenia

I have had issues with clinical depression for several years.   In fact I am dealing with a really diabilitating slump right now.   I have to force myself to get out of bed and then don't want to do anything but set on the couch.   It is so hard to fight these slumps but it is doable.   You just have to realize what is going on and try to do something more each day.   I personally haven't made it yet.   I too haven't been able to set down at my machine and work on anything.   I usually sew for hours everyday.   I know that mine started with the stress of my DH's heart attack and I think the Chantix to help stop smoking is making it worse.   I may have to stop the Chantix if things don't get better soon.

I do suggest if this continues that you see your Dr.   It is no fun feeling like this.   It always hits me like a brick wall too.   Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 477
Points 7,620

Nana:

Jenia

I have had issues with clinical depression for several years.   In fact I am dealing with a really diabilitating slump right now.   I have to force myself to get out of bed and then don't want to do anything but set on the couch.   It is so hard to fight these slumps but it is doable.   You just have to realize what is going on and try to do something more each day.   I personally haven't made it yet.   I too haven't been able to set down at my machine and work on anything.   I usually sew for hours everyday.   I know that mine started with the stress of my DH's heart attack and I think the Chantix to help stop smoking is making it worse.   I may have to stop the Chantix if things don't get better soon.

I do suggest if this continues that you see your Dr.   It is no fun feeling like this.   It always hits me like a brick wall too.   Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

When I was married to my ex he tried that Chantix twice, he was such a different man when he was on it that I prayed that it helped the smoking issue fast, but I prayed he got off it faster. He had mood swings like he was suddenly bi-polar and his personality was different. He did not want to do his normal activities. He ended up back smoking 9 mons later after  the first time and the never made it through the whole treatment the second time. He also had wild dreams he said. I was afraid to ask about those lol.

Julienne - Mid Mo

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 477
Points 7,620

Julienne:

Nana:

Jenia

When I was married to my ex he tried that Chantix twice, he was such a different man when he was on it that I prayed that it helped the smoking issue fast, but I prayed he got off it faster. He had mood swings like he was suddenly bi-polar and his personality was different. He did not want to do his normal activities. He ended up back smoking 9 mons later after  the first time and the never made it through the whole treatment the second time. He also had wild dreams he said. I was afraid to ask about those lol.

Also, I have to tell you with my disabilities I tend to get down alot, Sometimes your body just needs a break. But then after a day or two you need to try to pick yourself up by the bootstraps and try to do a little bit of something. I know it is hard. If you are hitting the change at all or in it is worse. You may need to see your doctor. But know you are not alone. I don't think I know anyone who dosen't have a problem with it sooner or later.

Julienne - Mid Mo

Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use