Top 10 Posters

Oh My Gosh...This Has Been Driving Me Nuts!!!

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 11 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
9 Posts
Points 225
Jessica posted on Tue, Apr 30 2013 5:26 PM

I am a very new quilter, and so far, I enjoy it a lot! I've been doing this for a few weeks now, and want to move onto some newer techniques (free-motion and machine applique). My problem is that I started this really nice "Monster High" themed quilt for my daughter using a block pattern as the front and now I've changed everything and I want to applique the "Monster High" logo as the front of the quilt and have the block pattern as the backing.  I want to make the quilt so that the logo (which will be the front) does not go through to the back and that the block pattern does not show through to the front. I hope that I'm making sense (again, I'm still really new to this), but if you can, please help!!!

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Tue, Apr 30 2013 6:08 PM

welcome jc...won't your batting solve that problem?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,318 Posts
Points 27,020

I agree with Joni, when you sandwhich the quilt the batting should provide a barrier so that there is not shadow.  The only time I have had a shadow is when I used a very lightweight white.  I solved  the problem by using a thicker batting

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
9 Posts
Points 225

Thanks for replying to me, Joni. That's what I was wondering...Would I quilt the front to the batting, then quilt the back to a separate piece of batting, and then bind it together?

Not Ranked
9 Posts
Points 225

Lol, I can see that there was a problem with my wording earlier! :) I was actually wondering how I could prevent the stitches from showing through on the other side (i.e the stitches from stitching in the ditch of the blocks not coming through to the front where the logo is). Again, I'm not sure if this makes sense???

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,595 Posts
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Tue, Apr 30 2013 6:17 PM

I think what you're trying to say is that you don't want to quilt through your applique.  I'd suggest using FMQ, perhaps a simple meandering pattern.  Draw a block with a washable pencil or a Frixion pen which disappears when you apply heat like an iron, around the appliqued part and don't quilt it.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,318 Posts
Points 27,020
Suggested by Elizabeth

AHHHHH, now I get it.  You could solve the problem by putting the applique on after you quilt the quilt.  You can add stitching and not go through the back.  I do this with my labels.  Hope this makes sense.

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Not Ranked
9 Posts
Points 225

Thank you so much, Elizabeth. May I ask how you could add stitching to the applique without stitching through the back?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
11,657 Posts
Points 136,092

Hi Jessica, welcome

[Ava, Missouri

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,318 Posts
Points 27,020
Suggested by Elizabeth

Jessica, You can do it by using any stitch but you have to do it by hand not machine!  you just catch the top layer and even the batting.  You can check the back to make sure that it does not go through.  

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,541 Posts
Points 416,959
gini replied on Tue, Apr 30 2013 8:24 PM

I don't know how big your logo is.   Appliquing to a completed quilt top will not be easy.    You can't hold all the bulk in one hand and use it to manipulate the fabric as you sew.    that is why most hand appliqué is done on smaller pieces that are then sewn together.  Not impossible, I've done smaller pieces on a finished quilt,  but my hands really hurt. 

Have you thought about making two quilts out of them?

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
2,915 Posts
Points 41,005
ls2116 replied on Tue, Apr 30 2013 9:38 PM

Jessica I just wanted to say welcome.  You sound just like me when I first joined, I've seen you already have some great advice from others.  I love this group they are very helpful.

Quilting My Rainbow

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use