Top 10 Posters

Disappointed with F & P e-magazine subscription

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 26 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie posted on Sun, Apr 28 2013 7:52 AM

A few years ago I decided to go green and renew my Fons & Porter LOQ magazine to an e magazine.  Fast forward to a few months ago, my renewal reminder ended up in my junk mail and didn't see it.  I went to log on and look for an  issue looking for a specific pattern I had bookmarked a while back only to find that I had lost all access privileges to any of the issues I had already paid for since my current subscription had lapsed ( reminder in junk mail).  I thought this must be a mistake to lock me out of 3 years of e-magazines, so I called and emailed only to be told that all access is denied once current subscription has lapsed.  Am I crazy to think how ludicrous this is to lose everything I paid for when you get free electronic access to the magazine when you order the paper one????  They spent barely any money just sending me the link to acces the e-version  while charging me full subscription price!!! 

How crazy is that???

Your thoughts appreciated.

• | Post Points: 80

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Mon, Apr 29 2013 4:58 PM

I just subscribed to quiltmaker this morning, still can't access the digital copy, maybe I'm jinxed.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,788 Posts
Points 122,730

Annie:

I just subscribed to quiltmaker this morning, still can't access the digital copy, maybe I'm jinxed.

Annie, I also subscribed to the Quiltmaker digital.  Did you go through all the steps and download the program they require? It installs a program called Newtrack_qm and a shortcut on your desktop.

I made a folder on my desktop called Digital Subscriptions and two folders. One for McCalls and one for Quiltmaker. They both require the newtrack program to be installed.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,788 Posts
Points 122,730

Annie:
 Fast forward to a few months ago, my renewal reminder ended up in my junk mail and didn't see it.  I went to log on and look for an  issue looking for a specific pattern I had bookmarked a while back only to find that I had lost all access privileges to any of the issues I had already paid for since my current subscription had lapsed

Whoa, this would be really aggravating. I would expect if I pay for digital magazines, I'd have access to those forever. Just like paper ones.

I've gone the route of digital for Quiltmaker and McCalls. I wonder if they do the same thing if I happen to miss a renewal date. Something to check out.;

Not Ranked
Female
15 Posts
Points 135
Suggested by Karen D

I have a subscription to magazines online but I tend to forget my password. So that when I get the notice that a new issue of the magazine is available I print the issue using Primo PDF and keep a copy on my hard drive in a folder for that Magazine. It is easier to keep track of if it is on my hard drive. Primo PDF is a great way to save paper and printer ink. I also use Primo to print any pattern that interests me for later use.

Primo PDF software is free. You print to Primo instead of a printer. I make Primo my default printer. That is how often I use it.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Tue, Apr 30 2013 12:36 AM

Judy T-Bellingham:

Annie:

Annie, I also subscribed to the Quiltmaker digital.  Did you go through all the steps and download the program they require? It installs a program called Newtrack_qm and a shortcut on your desktop.

I made a folder on my desktop called Digital Subscriptions and two folders. One for McCalls and one for Quiltmaker. They both require the newtrack program to be installed.

Judy,

i have downloaded the software and can now view the magazine. Turns out the problem was my email addy. I don't have a shortcut  on my desktop though. Maybe because I ave a Mac?  Trying to make sure all issues are downloaded. Still disappointed with Fons and Porter and their poor customer service 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,956 Posts
Points 368,377
Kris replied on Tue, Apr 30 2013 1:13 AM

Judy T-Bellingham:
Whoa, this would be really aggravating. I would expect if I pay for digital magazines, I'd have access to those forever. Just like paper ones.

When you buy paper mags you bring them home. You don't go back to the store every time you want to look in them.

With a digital subscription you need to download the issues to your computer so you'll always have them. When your subscription ends you'll no longer have online access. Many digital subscriptions also allow you access to al least two years worth of back issues.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,956 Posts
Points 368,377
Kris replied on Tue, Apr 30 2013 1:16 AM

Annie:
I don't have a shortcut  on my desktop though. Maybe because I ave a Mac?

Macs put files in your download folder then you move them to your applications folder. Once installed you can put it in finder's side bar for easy access or add it to your dock.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,788 Posts
Points 122,730

Kris:
With a digital subscription you need to download the issues to your computer so you'll always have them.

Thanks Kris. I have "printed" the issue as a PDF and it's saved to the folder. I suspect many people aren't aware of needing to do that. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,561 Posts
Points 246,192
Thea replied on Tue, Apr 30 2013 9:57 AM

I have recently started buying the CD's of magazines - for years worth.  I have so so many magazines but have trouble throwing them away.  I love to sit and go through them every once in a while and sometimes reread stories from them - but most of the time just to look at the quilts and become inspired all over again.  

I would think that F&P would allow you access to those digital magazines that you paid for with your subscription.  I think that what they did is stealing - you should not have to download that to your computer but should have access to those for life.  I enjoy looking at the F&P magazine just to see what is new in their world but have made very few of their quilts over the years - My favorite of all the magazines is Quilter's World - I get theirs in print and they give me access to the digital ones - I am not sure why but I didn't have to subscribe to both which sometimes you have to.  

There are a few others that I absolutely love but  I have to be honest and say I probably buy 20 magazines a season... and have fun looking at them... Someday I'll sell them all at a yard sale - 30 years worth now!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,788 Posts
Points 122,730

Thea:
probably buy 20 magazines a season... and have fun looking at them... Someday I'll sell them all at a yard sale - 30 years worth now!

Wow, Thea. Lots of magazines. You'll need a warehouse to store them. I know what you mean about looking back through old issues although I admit I don't keep many, just no room.  Now with the digital issues available I'll be able to keep them forever. I hope.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,037 Posts
Points 13,195
Thea, I understand about print magazines. I've got some dating all the way back to 1970. I did finally give away all my Annie's Attic crochet magazines from the 70s and 80s. When you tally up the $ you really hate to get rid of them. I'm getting ready to go through them all and add them to my home inventory, along with my books, embroidery designs, etc. They can't be replaced but I would imagine I have we'll over 5K invested in old magazines and no idea how much in new ones. If you had a homeowners loss they won't give you anything for your collectibles unless you documented the value and have pictures. Nowadays with replacement costs common I decided to start tracking everything. We had a friend who lost their house in a fire, along with all their belongings (December 2012). They had replacement cost on contents and because they had no documentation the insurance settled for 50% of the insured contents value. They paid premiums for replacement. Just another thing you have to protect yourself from to get what you paid for.

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Wed, May 1 2013 12:45 AM

I too have some old magazines but hardly ever look through them. I did quite often refer to the digital copies. I've learned my lesson. I have ordered another e magazine and will definitely be copying it to my computer. I have to say that this experience has left a bad taste in my mouth regarding Fons and Porter and will probably not purchase another magazine or product from them. Too many others out there. 

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use