Top 10 Posters

square-up large quilt

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
34 Posts
Points 930
slbayles posted on Fri, Apr 26 2013 6:32 AM

need advice on how to square up a large quilt...I'm a newbie and do not have a clue.

thanks

sherry

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 200 Contributor
Female
331 Posts
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Fri, Apr 26 2013 7:48 AM

I'm a newbie too, but when my bandana quilt was getting out if square I found where things went wrong, got out the seam ripper, removed the messed up block and I actually had to replace it with another.  It wasn't fixable because I had cut a triangle short.  In some cases I think you might be able to fix the block or area in question, but I'm sure there are other people here who can give better options.

Much might also depend on the pattern.  The experts will probably want to know what kind of quilt you have.

good,luck with your project,

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,582 Posts
Points 24,020
Susie replied on Fri, Apr 26 2013 9:38 AM

I am probably not the best one to answer this because I do things in an unorthodox way...(my friend that is helping me learn proper techniques would say bass ackwards!)

Anyway, depending on how far off it is, I sometimes add a solid border...about 2-3" wide.  That can help square it up.  And I always make sure that my final outer border is at least 3", preferably 4" so that if I need to trim it to square it up once the quilting is done, I can do so.

I don't have much space, so I have to work in small bits at a time.  I use my wide ruler (at least 6" wide), and find where the final border starts, mark it on my ruler and then cutt of the excess all the way around.  I use the same measurement on all four sides.

Some of the other ladies who are much better at quilting than I am will most likely give you better options, I just wanted to share how I handle it.

Chicagoland, Illinois

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,409 Posts
Points 19,530

Thank you for the information Susie. I was wondering the same thing.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
29 Posts
Points 580

depending on the size blocks your doing, purchase a square ruler 1/2 inch bigger then the block to be intended and aquare up each block.  All your blocks will be the same size and it should end up being a nice square quilt.  Be consistent with those 1/4 inch seams.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use