Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 329
Points 5,785
Jenia Posted: Wed, Apr 24 2013 11:18 PM

Has anyone made a quilt using crown royal bags?  My cousin just gave me a bagful of these purple and gold felt-like bags?  They are nice and soft and I think it's a good idea.   I don't particularly like this example, but just in case you don't know what they look like here's an example.

I have a bunch of red material that I thought would make a great cathedral window quilt.  My idea is to use the red for the cathedral window squares and use the crown royal bags cut up with and without the logo to fill the "windows".  I am afraid however that the windows might need to be too large to accommodate the logos.  

Are there any other ideas?  I have seen some really beautiful satin ones online but my cousin doesn't want to buy any fabric and the red I have on hand was found at an estate sale.  It wouldn't break my heart using it for his quilt. 

If anyone has made one here I'd love to see your design.  I tried to find it in the show and tell area but there wasn't a search option for Crown Royal Bags.

thank you so much for any input.  

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 52
Points 845

That a lot of drinking!   I like the colors though.

Robin-Snohomish, WA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,942
Leslie replied on Thu, Apr 25 2013 5:27 AM

Yes there was someone who made one can't remember who it was, they posted a pic somewhere on here

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 434
Points 6,955
Mz M replied on Thu, Apr 25 2013 7:01 AM

I just Googled Crown Royal Bag Quilt and there are lots of pics and sites to go to. There are some really nice quilts made from these! Hope you find what you are looking for.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 329
Points 5,785
Jenia replied on Thu, Apr 25 2013 8:25 AM

Yes, I especially like the satin ones.  There's one currently on ebay that is stunning.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crown-Royal-quilt-made-Crown-Royal-Bags-2-pillows-103-x-90-down-/121099046636?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D7211194898384007861%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D4%26sd%3D120839785971%26

I wish I had the option to add the satin fabric, but his (and my) budget won't allow it right now.  Maybe by the time I get around to working on his quilt I will have amassed some pretty fabric to add to his project.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,385
Points 119,276
Patti replied on Thu, Apr 25 2013 8:29 AM

that is a stunning bag!

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 528
Points 10,865

Here's one that's in the Show and Tell gallery:  http://www.quiltersclubofamerica.com/media/p/186646.aspx

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 329
Points 5,785
Jenia replied on Thu, Apr 25 2013 9:38 AM

Thanks, Carol.  I tried to search the show and tell but didn't see crown royal as an option.  How did you find this?

It seems as if all the really nice ones have additional fabric added to it.  

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 329
Points 5,785
Jenia replied on Thu, Apr 25 2013 2:03 PM

I found a cathedral window made with crown royal bags!!!  Please follow the link and go to,the end of the page

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-you-quilters-tennessee-t52036-10.html

does anyone have any opinion of I used red for the base instead of white.  I might also use a gold thread such as the bags are embroidered with.  Ewew the beginnings of a new idea, how exciting!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 930
Points 15,565
Marge P replied on Thu, Apr 25 2013 2:31 PM

Jenia:
I found a cathedral window made with crown royal bags!!!  Please follow the link and go to,the end of the page

Jenia -

The Cathedral Window quilt is beautiful - my only concern with the red with the purple would be if there was enough contrast between them.  I love red and purple together but usually add a 3rd color. 

Thanks so much for posting this thread as I, too, have a bunch of these bags that a neighbor up the road gave me to make a quilt ...someday...   I have never really looked for patterns to do it but love the Star one that was found in the Show and Tell pages.  The maker of that one says she used flannel for the background and only the middle of the stars were from the bags.  I presume she used flannel for the star points too.

The one on eBay is gorgeous but I don't think the satin would be very user friendly (correct me if I am wrong).  All I know is I have a double bed satin quilt/comforter of my Mom's from the 1950's.  That thing slips all over the place.  A flannel one would stay where you put it.

My friend is not the satin type but I know she would love one out of flannel, especially in our cold winters and their unheated bedroom.

I think it would be wise to pre-wash the bags perhaps in lingerie bags to make sure to take care of any shrinkage and bleeding of the fabric - use Color Shout sheets to see how much the purple has bled.  Also if I used flannel, I would definitely want it pre-washed several times just to make sure.

Thanks again for getting this started.  Be sure and post pictures of what you come up with.

Marge P

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 329
Points 5,785
Jenia replied on Thu, Apr 25 2013 3:02 PM

Thanks for the comments Marge!  I appreciate your thoughts on the purple and red color combination.  That's one of the reasons I thought of using the gold thread for the quilting area of the window.  I thought this with the gold embroidery and stitching that's already on the bag might help add some contrast.

I also wonder what a cathedral window would look like with alternating background colors, perhaps have a set of 4 blocks in the red and then a set of 4 in the white with alternating colors throughout the base of the quilt.  That's something I would have to actually try to see if I like it.  I know I have enough of the red, but I do have white that I could add if the red makes it too dark.  

I agree that satin is hard to work with and also not practical as a bed cover.  I have used satin sheets before and they do get aggravating when they slip and slide all over.  It sure was pretty though.

I will let you all see how things go when I get it started.  Please let me know what you come up with.  I'm trying to use materials I already have on hand, but I don't want to make something that's not nice looking.  So if it doesn't work out,I agree that flannel would be very compatible with the bags and I greatly appreciate the washing tips!  My red fabric is already washed, but I hadn't even thought about washing the bags...GREAT TIP!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 930
Points 15,565
Marge P replied on Thu, Apr 25 2013 4:47 PM

Jenia:
Thanks for the comments Marge!  I appreciate your thoughts on the purple and red color combination.  That's one of the reasons I thought of using the gold thread for the quilting area of the window.  I thought this with the gold embroidery and stitching that's already on the bag might help add some contrast.

Jenia - good timing on your question on washing the bags.  I got my bags out and have only 24 so I will have to be creative with them.  I put one in warm water and could detect a very light shade of lavender so decided what the heck, wash them now so I will know.  I put them into lingerie bags, added 2 Shout Color Catcher sheets and used some quilt soap ( Quilters Rule - Orvus paste) and let them do their thing.  The two color sheets are now a medium lavender/purple so I put new sheets in and washing them again.  Am sure they will be fine after the second wash.  Actually as dark as the bags are, the color of the sheets wasn't that bad.

The Orvus paste is pretty spendy when you buy it on eBay and I have bought some at Big Horn Quilts also. However, I have read that Orvus paste is used to bathe horses (this is what I have read and have no experience in this) and it can be bought at Feed Stores much cheaper as it isn't labeled with the word "Quilt".  There is no phosphorus in it and is very mild.  I do not know if it actually comes in paste form from the Feed Stores or not as the stuff I buy is in liquid form.  You only use 1 T per wash.  I used to use Quilt Wash to do my pre-washing and after washing but they stopped manufacturing it for some reason. :-(

I also thought of using like a 4 1/2" square from the logo area and then perhaps being able to get two 4 1/2" squares from the top of the bags on the sides so there would be 2 lines of the gold stitching on those patches just for variety.  

Will post later when they have finished washing and drying and I see what I have!  Hope to have good news! 

Marge P

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 930
Points 15,565
Marge P replied on Thu, Apr 25 2013 4:48 PM

Also, using gold thread in quilting it would really be nice.  Forgot to mention that!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 930
Points 15,565
Marge P replied on Thu, Apr 25 2013 7:19 PM

Jenia -

The second pair of color sheets showed just a tiny bit of a light, light lavender tinge so I figure they are good to go.  I took them out of the lingerie bags and shook them out and put them in the dryer.  I did use a couple fabric softener sheets and I always have two rubber balls in the dryer to mix things up.  They weren't dry after 12 minutes so just put them in for another few minutes.

They washed up really well and that is a relief to know.  I will need to start working on how I want to use them.  My friend will faint if I get it done in a reasonable length of time. LOL  I of course will not tell her I am even doing it until it is a done deal.

Marge P

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 329
Points 5,785
Jenia replied on Thu, Apr 25 2013 7:38 PM

Thanks again, Marge.  I will definitely wash mine before I begin!

naturally you can't tell your friend you have started, surprise is the only way to go.  I too won't tell my cousin when I start which will likely be years from now.

I would love to see what you decide to do with yours.  You will be done far before I even start.  I have 3 projects lined up in front of this,one, but I'm always planning something new.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use