Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 693
Points 13,210
Michelle Posted: Wed, Apr 24 2013 12:58 PM

Has anyone made a design wall that is portable? I have just come home from my first quilt retreat and loved having the design wall behind each person's sewing area. So now I am thinking to  make one for my sewing room. Mind you I have lots of cabinets on the walls, so it would have to be portable. I saw a few that hang on the doors? Pros and Cons? Maybe an over the door hanger with a curtain rod that I hung flannel or batting on? That way I could roll it up and take to any future quilt retreats, as I am now loving these quilt retreats. 

Any suggestions? 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,831
Points 39,995
ls2116 replied on Wed, Apr 24 2013 1:48 PM

The only design wall I've seen is the fons and porter one I haven't tried it yet because i'm out of wall space.

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,583
Points 26,485
Debbie replied on Wed, Apr 24 2013 1:54 PM

I saw one online, don't remember where for $25-30.  

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,183
Points 18,165
weezee56 replied on Wed, Apr 24 2013 5:42 PM

Michelle:
Has anyone made a design wall that is portable?
the design wall I use is just a flannel backed table cloth. (cheap) I got it at Family Dollar, it works really good. I have used ribbon to keep it in place.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Wed, Apr 24 2013 9:03 PM

My design wall is just some white flannel sewn together with botton holes across the top.  I have hooks above my closet where I hang it.  I took it to retreat last time, and we hung it on the curtain rods.  It worked well.  Did have to use some pins occasionally.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 52
Points 845

My friend just tacks up a plastic tablecloth that has the white backing.  She pins the plastic side to the wall and it works great.

Robin-Snohomish, WA

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 52
Points 845

Someone at my last retreat had a portable one made from something like the tent poles that are strung together.  I will tell you that she had a heck of a time getting it together and it kept falling down.  So I would vote no on that Design Wall.

Robin-Snohomish, WA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,304
Points 29,595
Agnes replied on Thu, Apr 25 2013 7:34 AM

Just a little hint for those using flannel back table cloths and having issues with your blocks not staying in place. I use my table cloth for double duty. I also use it to throw down when I am spray basting and want some floor protection. That light over spray is so noticeable for keeping blocks in place that I will lightly spray the whole back. The plastic side keeps it from sticking together when I have to store it. I hang it with a curtain rod for use as my design wall.  I sewed a pocket to slide it on the curtain rod but in a previous house because I could leave it up I had it tacked to the wall. Don't want it as a permanent fixture because now the only place I can hang it is in my living room. 

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 693
Points 13,210
Michelle replied on Thu, Apr 25 2013 7:47 AM

thanks for all the ideas. I'm going to "mull" this over and decide what to make.  I want to use what I have, also want to make it portable, but able to hang up in the room when in use, take down when I'm finished. I'm rather short, so it has to be such that I can put it up high enough without a struggle. Wow, I'm not wanting much am I? Also, I don't want to spend alot of money on it!

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 498
Points 10,010
tnmtgrl replied on Thu, Apr 25 2013 9:27 AM

I just tacked up a big piece of flannel to one wall in my sewing room.....

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,583
Points 26,485
Debbie replied on Thu, Apr 25 2013 9:31 AM

Exactly, tnmtgrl- 1.5-2 yds of white flannel tacked up with push pins is what I did slso.  

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

I have one of these (Cheryl's Portable Design Wall) and didn't have too much trouble getting it set up, though it did take a lot of space to lay it flat and get the poles in correctly -- but I loved using it once it was up and I could move it about the room.  This product was about $40 more between cost of product and shipping that the one carried on amazon which was about $130 and included S/H.

Laura in OH

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25

I may a design wall using felt  about 2yds. of white on the lengthwise. And 2 yds. of fabric cutting it 4 in. width . about every 4 in. I may a buttonhole.I brought those hooks. that have sticking back I think there call command performance.They don't damage the walls or wood works. So you can remove it when ever you want.

I hope this is helpful , irene

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 128
Points 1,775
beve99 replied on Sun, Apr 28 2013 9:36 AM

Hey Michelle,

I have the Cheryl Ann's Portable Design Wall.  I like it!  It's fairly easy to set up & once it's put together, I just place it in front of the cedar chest so it really doesn't take up much room.  I got it while we were at the Quilt Festival in Houston a couple years ago, so it was discounted & no shipping.  I sew in the kitchen, so I really don't want the design wall in there for weeks at a time.  I keep it in the bedroom, but then I have to walk back & forth & hope I remember which side of the block to sew by the time I get back to the kitchen.  I want one of their mini ones (18"x18") so I can place my blocks on there & then carry it to the table, all laid out, for sewing.  I'll be waiting until we go back to the festival before I get it, though.

Beve

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,304
Points 29,595
Agnes replied on Sun, Apr 28 2013 2:37 PM

An easy way to make a small portable design board is to use a piece of something stiff as the base. Some of the things I have used are art foam board, a piece cut from a cardboard box, arttex board. For the top I have used flanellette, piece of batting or felt. I cut the two parts to the same size. I use spray adhesive to spray on the board. Then place the fabric on top of that. I use my board for various stages of block construction. I start off by laying out the pieces in the sewing order. Then I place the sewn pieces back on the board to not get them mixed up for the trip to the pressing station and back to the sewing machine for the next step. I have made numerous sizes, considering all of them found items because I used leftover pieces from various other projects. I have never used the spray baste adhesive, rather than the really sticky craft spray but I am sure the spray basting would work fine with a more dense spray than I use for basting. The bonus would be the lack of smell and not needing turpentine for the nozzle cleaning. 

Agnes in NW Ontario

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use