Top 10 Posters

hand-quilting prices

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 20
alotofstitches posted on Fri, Apr 19 2013 6:11 PM

I'm a dressmaker in a borderline city in both Texas and Arkansas.  For that I charge by the hour.  But I also hand quilt but not with the same expertise that I sew garments.  Therefore, I'm reluctant to charge by the hour.  An acquaintance asked me to hand quilt and old quilt top made by here grandmother.  I need an idea of what to charge for a full size and queen size quilt--the labor only.  Please help!

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
Female
167 Posts
Points 2,145
Flo replied on Fri, Apr 19 2013 7:18 PM

Find out what your local long arm quilter charges, that should give you an idea.  Hand quilting takes more time and is a special touch to any quilt.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,482 Posts
Points 43,630

Plus, as whith any quilting the more intricate it is the more you will have to charge.

Not Ranked
53 Posts
Points 940

I have read where some charge by thread yardage, for instance, $1.50 per yard.  Machine quilters usually charge by the square inch.  I don't know what the charge is today, but a few years ago it was anywhere from 3 - 15 cents an inch, depending on the amount and type of quilting done.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
423 Posts
Points 6,765

Hi, I know a lot of machine quilting is done by the inch. as the machines tell you how many stitches are actually being sewn. Most charge based on the type of thread being used, the amount and pattern/type being done. It usually comes out to 30 cents now an inch. If you send it to a Longarmer it will run you based on the size of your quilt. American quilters charge $165 for a queen, but you must provide the Top, Batting, and Back. They will sandwich it and quilt it.  At least that was their prices a few months back. It is also a 30 day turn around.

Thanks,

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,371 Posts
Points 48,735
Ginny replied on Sun, Apr 21 2013 9:25 AM

Gosh, guess I have a very reasonable LA quilting business in my area.  They charge $60. for a queen size using your choice of one of their templates.  Custom quilting starts @ $.02 an inch.  Their turnaround time is one week from when they pick it up at the quilt shop.     Ginny

Top 150 Contributor
Female
423 Posts
Points 6,765

That is good!! Do they have an internet website where they would take in business from other areas? They may want to think about that.  If they are real good, I would love to see their work.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,371 Posts
Points 48,735
Ginny replied on Sun, Apr 21 2013 12:37 PM

Unfortunately, they do not have a website.  I think the business is growing by leaps and bounds in this area.  It started with just one lady doing it and she would go around to the local quilt shops on certain days and pick up the quilts to do, but her business has grown so tremendously that she has hired others to work with her.  I have been completely satisfied with the work she puts out, except for the one quilt she wouldn't do because it would pucker or ripple, but I couldn't see where the problem was until I called and talked to them.  I had negelected to measure my borders and equal them out.  My bad. LOL    Ginny

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use