HELP!!!

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 22 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
10 Posts
Points 315
Tammy posted on Fri, Apr 19 2013 5:36 PM

Ladies... I need help really really bad. I have made a Jelly Roll Race quilt. I have the layers together. When I go to quilt it or rather stitch in the ditch my top 2 layers move forward as i'm sewing. I've had my speed reduced by half and I've sped it up (funny it seems I can keep it in the ditch better when faster) but anyway I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've used my walking foot also (on a slow-medium speed) and it still does it. :( I've already sewn around it. Don't be too hard on me, this is my first :(

Thanks,

Tammy (totally confused) 

• | Post Points: 65

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 200 Contributor
365 Posts
Points 6,820
Verified by Tammy

Have you pinned all the layers together thoroughly?  

• | Post Points: 40

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
Female
145 Posts
Points 1,895

That is a beautiful mystery quilt!  I can't think of anything that hasn't already been suggested for your jelly roll quilt problem.  I have never used muslin for a backing.  Love that mystery quilt though!!

Denise

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,281 Posts
Points 413,759
gini replied on Tue, Oct 1 2013 9:02 AM

Beautiful mystery quilt.

I use muslin for backs without a problem.  If you get the better quality it is no different than other cottons.  It is the fabric of choice when you don't want the back showing through to the front.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
16 Posts
Points 360

Have you tried to change the pressure foot tension?  If you make the pressure foot tension lighter, it might help to not pull so hard on the fabric sandwich! :)

- Sarah

Grand Rapids, Michigan

Top 150 Contributor
Female
506 Posts
Points 7,955
Joyce replied on Tue, Oct 1 2013 9:10 AM

Your mystery quilt is really pretty.  I can't believe it is only your 2nd quilt.  Nice job.  Good luck with the quilting.

Joyce

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,249 Posts
Points 172,978
Marie replied on Tue, Oct 1 2013 11:27 AM

Tammy, your quilt is beautiful, love the colors and the pattern, good job!

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,582 Posts
Points 75,645
Karla replied on Tue, Oct 1 2013 12:55 PM

Beautiful quilt, Tammy.

Not Ranked
Female
10 Posts
Points 315
Tammy replied on Tue, Oct 1 2013 4:49 PM

Thank you all for the great comments. I've got the muslin off the back of my first quilt and will be going to get another few yards of cotton fabric :) I will give all of your suggestions a shot and we'll see how it goes. I will keep you updated :)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,179 Posts
Points 15,780

Tammy, That is a Beautiful quilt for a newbie as yourself. You should be proud!!!  Good Job!  Susan

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use