HELP!!!

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 22 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
10 Posts
Points 315
Tammy posted on Fri, Apr 19 2013 5:36 PM

Ladies... I need help really really bad. I have made a Jelly Roll Race quilt. I have the layers together. When I go to quilt it or rather stitch in the ditch my top 2 layers move forward as i'm sewing. I've had my speed reduced by half and I've sped it up (funny it seems I can keep it in the ditch better when faster) but anyway I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've used my walking foot also (on a slow-medium speed) and it still does it. :( I've already sewn around it. Don't be too hard on me, this is my first :(

Thanks,

Tammy (totally confused) 

• | Post Points: 65

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 200 Contributor
365 Posts
Points 6,820
Verified by Tammy

Have you pinned all the layers together thoroughly?  

• | Post Points: 40

All Replies

Top 200 Contributor
365 Posts
Points 6,820
Verified by Tammy

Have you pinned all the layers together thoroughly?  

• | Post Points: 40
Not Ranked
Female
10 Posts
Points 315
Tammy replied on Fri, Apr 19 2013 6:16 PM

yes i have :)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,402 Posts
Points 415,599
gini replied on Fri, Apr 19 2013 8:30 PM

Are you feed dogs Down?

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

Did you pull & anchor your layers tightly as you pinned?  Did you pin about every 5 inches?  Gini, were you reminding Tammy to have her feed dogs up if she's using a walking foot?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 200 Contributor
Female
387 Posts
Points 7,355

Tammy:

When I go to quilt it or rather stitch in the ditch my top 2 layers move forward as i'm sewing.

Does your sewing machine have a pressure dial? This is not the same as the thread tension dial. Some machines have a pressure dial, and some do not. On my sewing machine when sewing togehter two peices of fabric, the pressure dial is set to three. But if you are sewing together a quilt sandwhich using a walking foot, you need to reduce the pressure dial  from 3 to 2.

Denise Smart

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,398 Posts
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Fri, Apr 19 2013 11:42 PM

for just straight stitch in the ditch, the feed dogs should be up, so they help keep the back moving with the top and batting.  I also don't use any special foot then either. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Not Ranked
Female
10 Posts
Points 315
Tammy replied on Sat, Apr 20 2013 2:23 AM

I have my dogs up when using the walking foot. I don't think my machine has a pressure dial. I don't know what pull and anchor means :( 

could this be operator malfunction? could I possibly be doing something wrong? 

I really do appreciate all your help :)

Top 200 Contributor
Female
387 Posts
Points 7,355

Tammy we have all been there,  trying to figure out what is going wrong. Please post a picture of the front and back of your quilt sandwich (use the green icon above that looks like a piece of film, labeled Insert Media, to post pictures in your reply) Together we will come up with some more ideas.

This is highly unlikely, but is there any chance there is something unusual about the backing fabric you have chosen? For instance, you said the quilt top was from a jelly roll race, so it was probably all 100% quilt quality cotton (I hope). For a beginner, your backing fabric should also be 100% quilt quality fabric. Do not use a sheet, or muslin. Most definitely do not use a cotton blend or any synthetic fabrics. Horrible things will happen as the quilt sandwich feeds through the machine. As a beginner I also had problems with backing fabric that had a lot of metallic highlights.

It would also help if you told us exactly which sewing machine, including a model number, that you are using.

Denise Smart

Not Ranked
Female
10 Posts
Points 315
Tammy replied on Sat, Apr 20 2013 7:15 AM

Well Denise there's my problem, I used muslin. :(

Top 200 Contributor
Female
387 Posts
Points 7,355

As you gain experience you will learn that there are ways to make muslin work as a backing fabric.  It is not a good choice for a beginner as it stretches at a different rate from the top of the quilt sandwich as it feeds through the machine.

Take a picture so we can give you some ideas.

What percentage have you already quilted? A little, half, a lot?

Denise Smart

Not Ranked
Female
10 Posts
Points 315
Tammy replied on Sat, Apr 20 2013 7:45 AM

i've quilted half of it, there are some places that are perfect. I'll see what I can do about a pic for y'all :)

Not Ranked
Female
10 Posts
Points 315
Tammy replied on Tue, Oct 1 2013 6:19 AM

Hi everyone! After thinking long and hard about my jelly roll quilt, I've decided to rip out everything I've done and put a piece of cotton on the back rather than the muslin I had on in the first place. So, I'm in the process of ripping things out. During this time away from the forums (and my jelly roll quilt) my sister in law and myself decided to do a mystery quilt from one of our local quilting shops. I have the top done and it turned out beautifully if I do say so myself.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

Your mystery quilt is lovely!  Will you be quilting this yourself, too?  In reading through these posts again, another thought came to mind.  As you did your stitch-in-the-ditch with the jelly roll quilt, did you turn and go back in the other direction with every other row?  Also, you might want to try the spray basting products in addition to your pins next time.  Good luck!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 200 Contributor
Female
370 Posts
Points 7,390

MNnancy:
 Also, you might want to try the spray basting products in addition to your pins next time.  Good luck!

I was going to suggest the use of a basting spray too!

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use