Top 10 Posters

Quilt-as-you-go

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Female
2 Posts
Points 70
Linda Klitsch posted on Thu, Apr 18 2013 7:23 PM

I've made several machine-pieced quilts and would now like to make a QAYG.  I want to use polyester batting, however, I have two questions that I don't have answers to.  Please help me out?  Polyester batting will be subject to entanglement in lower feed dogs, as well as melting, when seams are pressed.  I've probably answered my own questions, but with all the experience on this site, perhaps someone out there has feasible answers that my logic didn't discern.  I may have to rethink this "charity" quilt, if cotton batting is essential.  Thanx ever so much!

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,384 Posts
Points 119,256
Patti replied on Thu, Apr 18 2013 7:40 PM

I have never done quilt as you go before, but I think front, batting and back go together block by block, so i don't think getting the batting in your feed dogs would be a problem.  And since you would not be ironing the batting directly, don't think melting would be a problem.  Try this site, plus there must be lots of youtube tutorials on this. 

http://www.secretsof.com/content/624

By the way, welcome to the group!

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
2 Posts
Points 70
Suggested by weezee56

Looking at this screen, Patti, I'd have to say that my reply to you didn't make the print!!  I replied from the email alert, so perhaps that's the reason.  Have a great Saturday!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
759 Posts
Points 11,380
weezee56 replied on Mon, Apr 22 2013 12:49 AM

I have done 1 QAYG and you have your backing, batting and stitch the top down as you make your block. I did a very small project. Kind of like paper piecing, but you work from the top not the back. Good luck in whatever you try to do.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
441 Posts
Points 7,940
Sharon replied on Tue, Apr 23 2013 3:53 PM

QAYG is the same process for quilting as when you quilt a larger quilt, its just much smaller. You can still press the polyester batting on a lower setting, it doesn't melt. QAYG is very easy and fast. You just sew the quilted pieces together as you do them. The batting is covered by the backing fabric so it does not bunch up. One of my favorite methods is to quilt either each block, or column, then join them with a small piece of fabric between them (sashing) sewn on like an applique.

Toledo, OH

Top 200 Contributor
Female
371 Posts
Points 6,495
Suggested by Arzella

I haven't tried the quilt as you go method yet.  When I finish my French braid quilt then I might give it a try.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use