Journal for Quilts

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 205
Gailww Posted: Wed, Apr 17 2013 10:05 PM

I keep a journal of all my projects that I make especially quilts.  I enter all the information on my computer such as quilt size and measurements, fabric and costs, date started and finished, and of course pictures after the quilt is totally finished. 

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Wed, Apr 17 2013 10:53 PM

Good idea.  I really do need to keep a journal and record of what I have made.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 628
Points 12,370

It's also helpful to list in your journal what block or quilt pattern you used and, if computer-quilted, what patterns for that. If quilted by someone else, record who did it and how much was charged. I use this information to help establish a price for quilts to be sold.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 331
Points 5,845
Jenia replied on Thu, Apr 18 2013 1:26 AM

I have always thought that would be a good idea to journal all crafting projects.   I have been using the blog section here to do just that.  Finding this website has been so helpful in so man ways.

At this pont I'm just chatting about the making of the quilt, but when it's done I will have a detail page with the steps taken and costs involved.  I plan to print it out and save with each quilt I make from now on.  It's been really fun so far.  It also helps just to remember what the original plan was, the reason why you may change your mind about something and the thought proces behind it all.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 436
Points 7,025
Julienne replied on Thu, Apr 18 2013 8:34 AM

Jenia,

When you blog about the quilt do you also talk about any errors in the pattern that you came across and how you came to fix them? I have noticed on some of the pattern I have gotten there have been some errors and I make notes on the patterns themselves, but never thought of blogging about them for others to read. Sounds like you have a great blog, I will have to go take a look.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 628
Points 12,370

I've been reading your blog, Jenia, and really have enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing what you do!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 331
Points 5,845
Jenia replied on Thu, Apr 18 2013 10:03 AM

Julienne:

Jenia,

When you blog about the quilt do you also talk about any errors in the pattern that you came across and how you came to fix them? I have noticed on some of the pattern I have gotten there have been some errors and I make notes on the patterns themselves, but never thought of blogging about them for others to read. Sounds like you have a great blog, I will have to go take a look.

Hi Julienne: 

This is my first blog for quilting.  I have been writing bicycling journals for a long time, and it's really fun to connect with so many folks in this way. I appreciate all the comments received and it's really fun to see the hit count to see if anyone is really reading along.  Even if they weren't hit counts I would still do this for my own records and thought process.

My current project (and first quilting blog) is my own crazy quilt design so there really is no pattern on this one.  I am piecing as I go.  However, I am commenting on my original plan vs. what I will end up doing....admitting my own mistakes and such.  If I was following a pattern I would definitely make notes on any changes or variations I made to the pattern.  If I found an easier way to do something, or I didn't like how something was put together I would also mention that.

It's going to be really important for my next project to keep track of my time when working on the quilt.  I think this will help tremendously, especially for that purpose.  If I tell myself that each time I work on the quilt I must jot down the hours I spent, it will make it easier to add up at the end.

I would encourage each of you to do a journal of your quilting.  Start a separate one for each quilt you work on, even if you don't publish it for all to see, it will give you a good guideline if you ever want to revisit and do another one in a similar fashion, or just for your own records.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 331
Points 5,845
Jenia replied on Thu, Apr 18 2013 10:22 AM

Carol from Pittsburgh:

I've been reading your blog, Jenia, and really have enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing what you do!

Thank you so much, Carol, for following along. 

Sometimes it's hard to dedicate some time to it, but I find it easy to write and the words just roll off the keyboard without much effort at all.  I communicate a lot by email and newsletters at work, so I'm used to this kind of thing.  I think it will be a great record of the era if my quilts ever really end up as family treasures :>) and if nothing else it reminds me of the fun I had as I went along.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 71
Points 1,010

I also keep a journal of my quilts but only in a book. I list all the info about it and then put a picture in there. If I give a quilt as a gift I always ask for a picture of the person with the quilt to add to my journal. The real fun ones are when I do a doll quilt and get a picture and a thank you note from the little ones!

HD Lady/Patty

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use